Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin Cleaning

I know it has been addressed in the past, but..
    what methods have you found to be best for pin cleaning?

We have the Brunswreck Pin Performance Center, but I refuse to use it. I do not like getting the bases of the pins wet at all, which happens with this machine. Also, it's ability to work depends on the little shanks that stab into the base. I think they are like lawn aerators that leave the little goose turd things all over your lawn - so that water & air can get into the ground. The shanks accomplish the same thing - stab holes into the wood so that water can get in it.

So, I just scrub the hell out of them with a scrubby brush and diluted lane cleaner. Then rinse & dry.
    This takes the better part of an evening for 20 pins, however. And your hands get all pruny-wrinkly.

Is there a better way?

Re: Pin Cleaning

2 full sets of pins
    Once a month all the pins are taken out ( 18 lanes ) And the other set put in machines. Then the dirty set are washed with coldish water slightly diluted with White Glove lane cleaner with a non abrasive cloth.
    Then we put them back into original boxes which we kept and the plastic bags in them.
    Load the pins into box inside original plastic packaging and put half a small glass of water into bag, seal and close until next month.
    Amflite 2 pins have lasted 4 years in a busy centre because of this and are still very white.
    And the washing and resting with the damp apmoshere i reckon is causing these pins NOT to split inside.
    Thats what we do and it seems to work although a lot of people disagree about the water bit.
    [email protected]

Comment

Agree with above reply - the idea is to get water into the pins, You want the bases to get wet. I use mostly water with a little pin cleaner and wrap pins to store. Water is good. Helps them swell to original size. Otherwise you'd have dry wood and pins breaking earlier than they should.

Comment

The owners of my workplace have an older brother (75) yes 75, who washes the pins by hand. He would throw 3 or 4 into a 10 gallon metal pan of hot water and laundry detergent. He will do 80 pins in the afternoon if he is up to it. I DON'T KNOW HOW HE DOES IT. But then again, we usually don't see him for a couple of days after that. He keeps saying he is going to retire for the last 5 years.

We have five sets of amflite II's. We change pins every six weeks and buy a new set of pins every other year, unless we have a set that wears out faster than usual. We have 32 lanes. I am glad I don't wash or change the pins.

Comment

I have a DBA Spin-Clean. I put the pin, spray it with a mix of water, lane cleaner, and a LITTLE bleach. While the pin is spinning, I have a brush with plastic brissles that I hold against the pin. Takes about 1 minute per pin and they seem to come very clean [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] . Just my nickles worth.
          TOON
          Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Pins do need some humidity to keep them from falling apart too soon,the water in a pin cleaning machine will not hurt them at all.I used to clean them up with a soft nylon pad(SOFT),with white glove cleaner and dry them off.Be sure the pins don't have a residue on them when you put them back in or you can get sticking pins in chutes,the pins should be smooooooth and slick(hopefully).If they we're out of white glove i used CV88,both products work great.We used to have a pin cleaner but it walked off it's shift.(now who would need one of those at home??).Anyway...by hand can suck but once ya get rolling it's not too bad(?).
            Can i claim carpel tunnel from that??(LOL)

Comment

I have a DBA Spin Clean II. It's like a mini car wash for pins. Works great and can wash about 9-10 boxes an hour. Now if they just had a forced air dryer for it [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

CV-88, 5 gallon bucket and scotch-brite pad

my 2 cents,
                twice a year is enough.

Comment

I have heard all of those ways to clean the pins, here is my delema.

since the fire ( we had a major fire oct. 29) we are starting the process of rebuild and clean. we have been with out heat and even when we get it it will only be enough to keep the building about 50 - 60 degrees. Like EVERYTHING else the pins are black from smoke, so what I was thinking is to load them up in my truck bed and head to the car wash [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] I think with a short blast of soap and a once over with a rag should be fine, then a good rinse. The only problem is drying them and keeping them good over the next 4-5 months before we reopen? Of course I guess I can clean them last right before, but either way the insurance company has rented a big box for storage which sits in the parking lot, so are the pins going to freeze with no heat? We are 16 lanes and have 2 sets plus 4 lanes of gold pins.

Any suggestions on storage?
                  eric

Comment

We use DBA pin cleaner and wash those beauties by hand(a set a day), slosh them in a bucket of clean water, dry them off with a towel amd presto clean pins, we use a dish scrubbing brush(plastic brush purchased at Wal Mart) to get the rough spots off, we use food handler gloves to keep our hands from being ate up from the pin cleaner.

My 1 cent worth..

Comment

Eric, about 9 years ago, we purchased a set of pins that had come from a center that had a fire. We used a cleaner from a janitorial supplier which worked good. The pins were only 2 weeks old and were still shinny which is why they came clean. They were stored for about 6 weeks outside, under an awning, covered with plastic. We rotate this set with 3 others, so they don't get used all that much, but they are 9 years old and still holding up well. The only problems have been bases breaking out(age?). One other thing though, it seemed that the pins that were standing durring the fire cleaned up great and the ones laying in the bins(82-70s) had slight yellow staining from the soot. Now though you can't see any staining. It was never noticable from the front either. Good luck and keep us posted!!
                      TOON
                      Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

toon,
                        thanks for the info, I think we will be ok, and if not I have to prove to the insurance company that having the pins sit that long will hurt the life of them. I am going to call someone at Brunswick for help on that. I will try to get some pictures of the fire posted soon.
                        eric

Comment

Hey gang, thank you for the good replies.

Nonetheless, I think I'll continue to spend my evenings getting prune hands. Besides, it helps clean the gear oil out from under my fingernails.

I am still hornschwaggled about this water thing. Is wood different from anything else that needs it's natural moisture? I'm thinking of leather for example. If you soak leather in water/cleaner solution, it will be soft until it dries and then it will be hard and brittle.
                          How is wood different?

As the water evaporates, it pulls natural moisture out of the wood, makes the wood not bond as well to itsself, and makes it weaker.

At least that's the impression I get looking at my backyard fence where the sprinkler hits it.

You get your pins nice and soggy if you want. I'm keeping mine dry. We'll see whose pins fall apart faster.

Chadarino

P.S. Eric - all of us at Vantage are sorry to hear about your fire. I hope the insurance co decides to total your scoring because you're right, Matrix is da bomb! We'll be installing the first stateside system in the next few weeks. Hope cleanup is progressing OK and your pins don't freeze.

Comment

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse

Stahl's "Tuffy Super Jam Stopper" in action!

So I decided to try a few of these, I mean the idea totally makes sense and recently I saw these in action and liked what I saw.

Basically, it's meant as an extension...

Roller Clutch issue

Has anyone had to remove the plastic ring in the back side of the plate in order to achieve good indexing? I now have 2 roller clutches without the backing rings in service. Either...

Pictures of new machines being installed...

Here are the accelerators and pits that came with the lanes, kickbacks, gutters, power lifts.

This a new way of building the supports for the lanes...

Baddest Tool Chest In Town

Adios, motor boater!

check this jam...

the ball stuck the table up

Working...
                          X