Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound system expertise

We have a 24 lane center and we are looking to upgrade our aging sound system...anybody have any advise as to what equipment is any good. would like to do a basic system maybe 4 speakers over the lanes, 1 amplifier and a mixer. i have am/fm receiver that is fine , cd player and bowling music network. not looking for nite club quality sound but want something better than a home system. i would appreciate any and all input
    24 A-2's
    Brunswick Pro Lane
    Vector Scoring
    Kegel Kustodian
    Twister Pins
    Polychem oil and stripper

What ever you do stay away from Radio Shack amps!

Spend the money, and get a commercial style amp, with about 100 watts, and 70 volt output. Believe me, 100 watts will blow the speakers, you may want to replace some of them too! You should have about four inputs with individual level controls and master volume control.

Something like this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-218

Comment

Now you're in my area of knows-a-little bout it.

For a 24 laner ( and spending your money ), I'd get these items,

-2 Power Amps. Crown and QSC are tops in the business (IMO). Durable and long lasting, great sound. Both brands should last you 10 years. (Blow the dust out every 6 months!) Here's a few links to amps I highly recommend for your application. (Amps I've installed in other centers.)
      http://www.pssl.com/QSC-RMX850-Power-Amplifier
      http://www.pssl.com/Crown-XLS2000-Pr...red-Amplifier-
      These two have just enough power to rock your building, without breaking the bank. Under $500/ea.

-4, B52 speakers.
      http://www.pssl.com/B52-MX-15-15-Inch-Pro-Speaker-
      These are a VERY rugged speaker, match well with the above power amps, and they have great sound.

-1 Equalizer. This will give you the ability to trim your treble, mid, base to suit your building. This Behringer is a nice little unit.
      http://www.pssl.com/Behringer-FBQ-15...phic-Equalizer
      Wide range, great sound. No hums or buzzes.

-1 stereo mixer.
      http://www.pssl.com/Shure-SCM262-Ste...crophone-Mixer
      This little unit is all you really need. You could spend more and get bigger/better, but that's kinda overkill for a 'Rock-N-Bowl' system.
      3 inputs (bowling music, Cable, Radio) is plenty, and if needed you could use an A-B switch to split the cable input for a DVD player (learn to bowl discs).
      2 mics (hard wired desk mic, cordless mic/s for using on the lanes/concourse)

-Cordless Mics
      http://www.pssl.com/Handheld-Wireless-Mic-Systems
      There is a wide variety of mics to choose from. Stay away from 'Gemini' and I'm not fond of 'Audio Technica' either. They tend to sound like you're talking out of a soup can.
      Shure mics are the top of the line, any Shure mic I've ever used had great, full, rich, sound. Worth every penny!

Install the power amps wired in stereo, A amp = low side lanes, B amp= high side lanes. Gives you good control over volume on each end.
      Mount the speakers between the arrows and dots (about 10'-12' from the foul line). USE SAFETY CABLES!!
      Give the Amps plenty of breathing room front and back. If you crank up the music, they will produce a lot of heat. Heat kills amps!!

I've linked you to http://www.pssl.com/ because I've been a customer of their's for years. Their customer service is top notch and if I ever had a problem with one of their products, they stood behind it 100%. Never had an issue they didn't solve to my satisfaction, up to and including replacement of a defective product, no questions, no hassles. There are many places to buy sound equipment local and on the web, all runs about the same price. Service is what makes the difference.
      They will give you a bundle price when you order an entire system. My last order with them totaled out at $870, they knocked $50 right off the top. All I did was ask! Great folks, great company.

A system like I have suggested will rock a 24 lane center nicely. You could get more or less, but this is what I recommend. Spend too much less, and sound quality will suffer. Tinny, distorted, rattling, muffled, crappy sound... you will regret any savings you made with lesser products.
      In our bowling centers today, we must pay attention the every one of out customer's senses. Sight, sound, smell, taste, touch. Miss any one of them, and you could be losing income. Your sound system is one of those links in the chain. Customers may not notice how good it sounds, but they WILL notice if it sounds like chit!
      Ever been to a really nice center... that had the worst food you ever tasted? Me too!

Good Luck with building your new system,
      PinCup

EDIT: The above described system is quite similar to the system at http://www.redapplebowling.com/ . With 32 lanes, we used bigger amps and more speakers. The same mixer, EQ and B52 speakers are used. Feel free to give him a call.
      Last edited by PinCup; 07-30-2012, 08:40 PM.
      We leave our greatest mark on this earth with the quality of our craftsmanship.

Comment

1. An AM/FM receiver will not do any good - it is not digital and the music will not sound that good
        2. Go with a music service off the internet - you can pay for Pandora or Slacker
        3. Pay the BMI and ASCAP fees to pay music legally
        4. Have all your speakers over the lanes - no further from the customers than the arrows - and also have them all in a row - speakers different distances from the customers will require phasing and is not what you want

Comment

Originally posted by 8270king View Post
          2. Go with a music service off the internet - you can pay for Pandora or Slacker
          3. Pay the BMI and ASCAP fees to pay music legally

2. www.181.fm is an internet radio station (free). Many channels to choose from.
          3. BPAA members get a break on BMI and ASCAP fees.

Good advice King,
          PinCup

Comment

thanks for the great advise
            24 A-2's
            Brunswick Pro Lane
            Vector Scoring
            Kegel Kustodian
            Twister Pins

Comment

Nice write-up PinCup!

Comment

PinCup i ordered all the equipment you suggested from the company you suggested. i went with the QSC amps being that i already have one and its been OK. PSSL had everything in stock and have shipped it out should have it early next week. thanks for all your help i will let you know how it sounds. thanks, skeebum
                24 A-2's
                Brunswick Pro Lane
                Vector Scoring
                Kegel Kustodian
                Twister Pins

Comment

Skeebum,

I'm sure you'll be quite pleased with the sound from that system. QSC is a great amp, paired with the B52 speakers, ... You're set!

Be sure to run a heavy enough gauge wire for the speakers, and as I said run them in stereo low side, high side.

Some pics of your new system would be great!!

Here's our's
                  soundsystem.jpg
                  This tower runs the entire place. Lanes, Gameroom, Lounge, Restaurant, using a computer matrix we can adjust volume in every zone. It's quite the setup.

PinCup

Comment

ProSound and Stage Lighting (PSSL) is a great company to do business with. Another great company is Musician's Friend. If PSSL doesn't have it, MF will. Prices are competitive. I've used both companies in the past, and they never did me wrong.

QSC amps and B-52 speaker systems are excellent. A QSC amp will take a reactive load down to 2 Ohms unbridged. One recommendation I would make would be to add a Behringer compressor on the output of the mixer, going to the amps. The compressor will limit the peaks and transients that could damage the speakers, and possibly the amps; although the QSCs should be capable of riding out transients. When properly adjusted, the Behringer will be completely silent. You won't know that it's operating.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                    Working...
                    X