Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old GE realay switching system

Anyone have this type of thing - All the lights in the building are controlled from a numbered dial thing at the desk - one turns them on and another turns them off. Each dial has 12 numbers on them. I know its connected to a big stepper relay system in the ceiling that closes the contacts and lights go on or off.
    Having some troubles with the dials and was wondering if this stuff is available somewhere.

Marty - Pro Bowl West
    56 Jap A-2's Qubica VDB's
    2 Kustodian Walkers
    http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/a2mechanic

What they are doing is using whats called latching relays. When you select, lets say lights over lanes 1-2 settee, you select #1 position on the "on dial" and push a button under that dial. Its sets the relay on, and it latches to that position (ON). Some systems used dual coil relays to set them on and off, these had three wire connections, one for on, one for off, and common for 24 volt AC. Others had only two wires and would toggle the on/off function every time it was energized.

Here's what I've come across in most centers: http://westsidedelivers.com/ge_RR7.asp

The 12 position switches are still pretty common from most supply houses. I used some old DTL scorer swithes from AstroLine Scoring Consoles to make a completely new control box.

Here's some switches that can be used: http://www.e-switch.com/entity/tabid...y/default.aspx

Comment

Yep, those are the animals I have in here. I thought it was (and was told) this stuff was old and discontinued stuff, but some searching on the internet I see it is still common in large buildings like this one. I have found the PP& relays running anywhere from $10 each (used on ebay) to over $100 each. Thanks for the links Jim.

Marty - Pro Bowl West
      56 Jap A-2's Qubica VDB's
      2 Kustodian Walkers
      http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/a2mechanic

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Murphy View Post
        Having some troubles with the dials and was wondering if this stuff is available somewhere.
        Marty - stepper relays and rotary switches fail over the years. This is due to contacts arcing or just getting dirty. In cases like those, it's a lot cheaper and easier replacing the bad components, than it is trying to get them to work.

There are new solid state latching relays available from many of the suppliers. They're a little more expensive than the mechanical types; however, they'll make up the difference in longevity. Another good point is that, since they're solid state, there are no moving parts to get dirty or contacts arcing. Most solid state relays will "drop right in" without any changes in wiring.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
        Working...
        X