Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Mario kart

I have a super Mario kart game after it's been on for a while the screen goes out completely black screen .
    but if I take the back off the game it works fine never goes out

That's a new one. We haven't had problems with that so much as the "steering volume" error from the potentiometers.

Comment

You probably have a capacitor going out in the power supply or one of the other boards. Continuing to run it will eventually cause it to fail under all conditions. This is a good time to find it before it fails completely.

When a capacitor begins to fail, it will generate heat and parts will expand thus the problem when you run it for a while. By removing the back, you increase airflow to allow enough extra cooling to keep it going. This will eventually stop working.

To help find the bad part, you can use a infrared camera to look for hot spots. However, most people don't have infrared camera's so ...

Alternatively you can use a contactless thermometer and scan your components with it looking for hotspots. Success here may depend on the quality of the thermometer, how wide the beam is and how fast it can read and update the temperature. I've had good success with inexpensive units.

Finally an old tried and true method is to use a can of air. Turn it upside down and spray the components. This will put a thin layer of ice on them and you look for anything that defrosts quickly. I don't have a video of this but of course a quick youtube search found one demonstrating this in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7X_E9nq27k

Also, visually inspect the parts. You may see a capacitor start to bulge indicating it's about to fail. These are generally the electrolytic capacitors (can type).

You want to be careful how long you run this. The component hasn't completely failed yet but when it does it can take out other parts.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Comment

You may want to check the game next time it happens.
        It could be the monitor blacking out, or the power supply as exmech has suggested.
        I had a pair of driving games, that both monitors took a dump after a few years.
        The game was still running, but no video made the game hard to play.

Both are good places to start.

Comment

Switch on the door when opening door shuts off closes comes on. if that game has that on there.

Comment

Not sure if this game has an interlock on the rear panel. Usually those interlock buttons kill the entire game.
            Have you checked for ventilation issues?
            Have you checked to see if it is the backlight that is going out or the monitor turning off?
            To check this you hold up a flashlight to the front of the LCD panel and you should still be able to see the video playing in the background.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
            our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
            Working...
            X