Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Capping

We're needing to replace some of the capping at our center. For a while, I've been wanting to clean up the ball return track area under the capping and get a clear capping so that you can see the balls coming back. However, it doesn't seem like anyone makes this, so I was thinking about getting plexiglass and making a frame and doing a custom capping. Does anyone know if this would cause a problem with certification or can think of any other problem with something like this? Anything that I should consider? We're working on getting the center certified for the first time in about 8 years, so I don't want to do anything that would cause a conflict with this. I would greatly appreciate any comments, positive or negative. If I do this, I'll post pictures afterwards.

What a great idea! Can you just imagine how cool that would look during glow bowl? I really can't think of any reason there would be a cert conflict. Make sure you get thick enough plex that it can be walked on.
    Necessity IS NOT the mother of invention. Laziness IS the mother of invention.

Comment

You will need to get plexi glass that is quite thick. That could get expensive depending on how many lanes you have.
      Nick

Comment

You don't want plexiglass! Get Lexan (polycarbonate). It is what they make bullet proof glass out of. You can cut and drill lexan but plexiglass is very brittle and breaks much easier. Make sure you get it thick enough. Where ever you buy it from (maybe your local glass company), tell them what you are going to use it for. It needs to be strong enough to walk on. It may be expensive, but if done right, you will end up with a durable capping, unlike SOME of the crap the bowling industry puts out!
        (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

I appreciate the replies. I just got a confirmation from the local USBC guys who told me that they didn't have any problem with it. I would like to do it with polycarbonate, however, I'll have to see; it's several times more expensive than plexiglass. I do have some experience with this and I also know a structural engineer that I've consulted with before. There is a local plastic company that can cut each sheet for me and place any holes in it that I might need. With this, the plexiglass (or whatever material I end up using) will be all ready to be placed into the frame when I pick it up. Plexiglass is softer than polycarbonate and is more susceptible to scratches. If I can get a good price on polycarbonate, then I'll definitely go with that.

It's a little off-topic, but this is my previous experience with plexiglass. It was for our indoor miniature golf course that we remodeled for Halloween last year. It uses 2" thick plexiglass and spans about 2.5'x6.5'. I can jump up and come down as hard as I can right at the center and the ball barley moves.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN2T4FIAlnQ

Comment

There is a capping for the ball return that has removable strips for rope lighting. That part of it you wouldn't need, but the entire center section - probably around 6" wide - is removable. This is where you could put the lexan in. You would probably need only 20-30 feet like this as the lumber across the return would prohibit seeing the balls much further down the lane.
            I think Classic has this capping. I know I put some in for USBowling, but I'm pretty sure it came from Classic. I'd check with whomever is closer to you.
            This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Mike, remenber all the ball hits 15-16 # from 10-12 ft. high. I have some wood ones cracked all over.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
              Working...
              X