Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Clutch Stop Blade Wear

Replaced this stop blade on an Edge machine at a private installation I service. It looks like this after 20,000 frames. The stop blade on the machine next to it looks new after 20,000 frames. Any ideas what would be causing this kind of wear? I clean and reapply grease to the stop blades weekly, and I reset the clutch tension months ago when I started noticing the wear.

I did notice that the clutch wobbles slightly as the rear pulley shaft rotates, but I would think the lower blade would show more wear from that since the upper blade only makes momentary contact while a pin is dropping off the trip levers.

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

A bent main shaft will cause the clutch to rock up and down causing wear on the stop blades. Carriage not perfectly parallel will also so the same thing.
    Keep an eye on it see if it does it again

Comment

Could be as simple as a bad heat treatment process on the blade when it was manufactured. I've run across both blades and clutch plate tabs with odd/excessive wear on them in a short time.
      -- Larry

Comment

A bent distributor drive shaft can cause wear on the stop blades but it is not enough for it to wear both ends of the stop blade.if not already using try a grease that has maximum surface protection.and be generous when applying.alot of the grease gets pushed off when the distributor is tripped.another possibility could be your clutch plate itself.check the stop blade on the clutch plate itself and how it is sitting against your stop blade for trip rod.can also get play from your pinion gear to the clutch plate also causing it to wobble from wear.and also make sure your clutch pressure for the spring is no more than a 240° turn.if you are using a good grease and applying enough of it service for the clutch assembly should be fine Evey 25000 frames or 2-3 months

Comment

I would replace the stop blades and the clutch driven plate and watch it for a few weeks for abnormal wear. Could just be bad metal as mentioned before.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse