Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Collar

Soooo, yeah....set screw in the stop collar on the #1 yoke shaft has been stripped out. Nothing I have tried so far has worked. Tried some screw extractors but I can't drill a hole deep enough for those because it's only a set screw lol.
    Thankfully it's only one stop collar so I can just remove the entire shaft (070002615) if I absolutely have to.

Any ideas before I start on the last resort?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I'm not sure why you say you can drill deep enough. If you drill all the way through the set screw that's ok.

Start by tapping it lightly with a hammer and center punch. This sometimes helps break the tension between the threads.

Then, use a left hand drill bit to drill your hole. A right hand drill bit will cause the screw to tighten into the threads as you drill. Many times, the left hand drill bit will grab and along with the vibration of drilling can break the screw free and extract it. Go slow and easy and use a pulsing action. Make sure to use your drill in reverse when using a left hand bit. Left hand bits can be found at auto parts stores, hardware stores, big box stores or even Harbor Freight.

If if still doesn't come out, then you should have a hole to drive your screw extractor into. I found the type with splines works better than the kind with spirals because you can drive them into the screw and get a better bite especially if you don't have a lot of hole to work with.

You may need to use some penetrating oil but your picture doesn't show this to be heavily corroded so it may not help.

Finally, if your drill in the center of the screw, you can use an increasingly larger bit to drill out most of the screw without getting into the threads. This will usually permit the screw to come out but if not, you can generally break the screw. You may mess up the threads so if you're not going to take the collar off, if would be difficult to run a tap down the threads to clean them up so do this at your own risk.

Good luck.

Comment

I never did get it. I just replaced the entire shaft instead. Thanks for the tips though..will come in handy again probably sooner than later lol

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
      Working...
      X