Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distributor problem 87-70

I got 82-70 machines i got one distributor that every once in awhile it will still on the 6 pin i have loosen the clutch spring i have put more pressure on the spring thanks if u can help

Re: distributor problem 87-70

When we had 70's, I used to have this issue. Check to make sure the stop blade isn't catching on the clutch plate.

As an aside, we now have 90 XLi's and I have run across this same thing and discovered the bolt on the back end of the trip rod broken, This is only on the 90's. they have a different mounting for the trip rod.
    George

Comment

yea its not catching its passed the blades the clutch plates is half way around like it needs more pressure but got alot of pressure on it now

Comment

All things being in good shape, if you have to put more than 1 turn on the clutch spring there is a problem. The hardest drive position for the clutch to drive the distributor is from the 6 to the 10. Generally the clutch pressure should be set between 3/4 to 1 turn of the spring. If this clutch has been on the machine awhile it may need servicing. Easiest and best thing to do is replace the clutch assembly with good parts, properly lube the pinion and sleeve and stop blades, then set the tension to 3/4 of a turn and run it. If it does not make it past the 6 keep adding one notch of tension until it does- usually this will be done within the 3/4 - 1 turn range but I have come across a few that needed a touch more. Bottom line is the clutch and all it's parts must be good and properly lubed and the tension should be enough to drive it through the 6 but not so much that it has difficulty indexing or causes the clutch to get real hot.

Comment

To go with all the good advice from Tablejam put the dist at the headpin position, turn off the backend motor and push back the dist and see if you feel any mechanical binds.
          70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
          Prolane Walker sport

Comment

table jam has it right. clean and lube and replace work parts. and make sure the shaft is not bent.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse