X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep Motor Drift

My fellow Mechanics,
    Have a sweep motor drift issue.
    Whats been done: - switched chassis- 3 times - not relays!!
    - sockets in c1-replaced twice just to be sure of connection
    - new caps-tested with ohm meter to be good.
    -ext s/s on stator-just FYI motor runs fine.
    - traced wires for circuit or bad terminals - none found, looks good
    - connections & terminals in stator good.
    - adjusted cams & levers...
    What am I overlooking?
    Suggestions please! Help
    If its SIMS, its only a game.
    Just hit reset.

Slop in gearbox? I did not see a mention of a gearbox change.
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

No Kat...no slop in gearbox. Excellent splines on gearbox and shaft..no play. Its intermitten. Will stop a fraction early 3 out of 5 cycles then drift 5 to 8 inches on the next. I am so puzzeled.
      If its SIMS, its only a game.
      Just hit reset.

Comment

I'm with Kat on this one, it sounds very much like loss of the internal bearing pre-load that is not easy to assess. This may also be a gearbox with the start of some component failure. When the problem is coasting only it is possible to fit a drag brake to the motor shaft thro the casting vent holes - this is a comercial product over here. I have found that motors with SS starts invariably coast and I have a dozen or more sweep gearboxes fitted with these. All my motors have SS starts, they are not without problems/failures but they beat the crap out of cent mechs/mechanical switching
        Make your machines happy - your bowlers will notice

Comment

Like spanner says, the SS Start motors have some coast.

But anyways, did you check your sweep motor plug and receptacle for loose/burnt/otherwise iffy connections there?
          "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

We had this awhile back, I have 3 out of 24 west. sweeps that won't run with s.s swithes. Have to use 6x550 from grainger ( which has been discontinued but they have a replacement)

Comment

Almost sounds like a gearbox to me. Wouldn't hurt to replace it and see if problem goes away.

Comment

Question? rivmike Did the 3 m/c's in question trash the motor if it had SS switch's. The wiring on certain m/c's had polarity issues and when the sweep was called to reverse it would burn the windings out. Its not difficult to re-wire but i have to say i no longer have the wiring info. I only had a couple of m/c's when mine were checked out by an ace tech who knew the 70's wiring like the back of his hands.
                Make your machines happy - your bowlers will notice

Comment

What kind of motor is it?
                  Why yes, we wax them everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by spanner8270 View Post
                    Question? rivmike Did the 3 m/c's in question trash the motor if it had SS switch's. The wiring on certain m/c's had polarity issues and when the sweep was called to reverse it would burn the windings out. Its not difficult to re-wire but i have to say i no longer have the wiring info. I only had a couple of m/c's when mine were checked out by an ace tech who knew the 70's wiring like the back of his hands.
                    The motors are fine, It is some sort of problem with Omega-Teks and solid state swithes. (not all ) mechanical switch stops perfect, no interlocks.

Comment

I have a mechanical brake fitted to all my combi motors, this stops any kind of 'coasting'. I wonder if these are available in the States? I'll try and upload a pic...
                      I'm a proud member of www.bowluk.com

Comment

We did a lot of testing with the manufacturer of the solid state start switch trying to find an underlying cause with the switch for this intermittent drift. Our final conclusion was that if a gearbox has any tendency to drift whatsoever, you will very likely see it occasionally with a SSSS. Put a SS contactor in the mix, and your chances go up some more. When this problem was seen during our testing, the cure was to replace the gearbox.
                        Regards,

Billy T
                        [email protected]

Comment

How often does the interlock occur? If it is intermittent then I would also check your micro switches, replace all on the sweep if they are suspected. If you have Omega tek w/expander make sure the interlock cam, on the sweep, is adjusted out enough but will still be lifted by the high point on the cam.
                          I didn't see where you specified which type of motor we are working with if Nationals then check the carbon brushes.

Comment

I have about 30 motors GE and West fitted with bowl-tronics solid state switches and none of them coast. Ive never had luck with amf switches on combo motors except for nationals because they have brakes. Plus the amf switches require you to switch up wiring for keep sweep reverse, kinda annoying. bowl-tronics switches are the way to go for me.

But last i checked... pretty much every machine uses electronic braking when the circuit switches off doesnt it? I have an old manual that described how it worked but when power is cut, electricity is still generated by the spinning armature, electricity which is used to stop the motor. Once it stops, no more braking. I have gearboxes that will spin forever that dont coast. Something fishy about those amf solid state switches
                            Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

Comment

Originally posted by slb785 View Post
                              I have about 30 motors GE and West fitted with bowl-tronics solid state switches and none of them coast. Ive never had luck with amf switches on combo motors except for nationals because they have brakes. Plus the amf switches require you to switch up wiring for keep sweep reverse, kinda annoying. bowl-tronics switches are the way to go for me.

But last i checked... pretty much every machine uses electronic braking when the circuit switches off doesnt it? I have an old manual that described how it worked but when power is cut, electricity is still generated by the spinning armature, electricity which is used to stop the motor. Once it stops, no more braking. I have gearboxes that will spin forever that dont coast. Something fishy about those amf solid state switches
                              The electronic braking that we are referring to is how the brake is applied via a SS switch or a mechanical switch if I understand your question right.

I have had great luck with the AMF SS on National motors but others I know haven't had such luck with West/GE motors. Mine combo motors were all wired up with SS of various brands prior to me working on them. A lot of them still have the old Quality brand black box on them.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse