Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pins falling over everywhere and/or getting caught in the table nightmare!

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pins falling over everywhere and/or getting caught in the table nightmare!

New to 82 90's and having to learn quick here, so excuse me if my lingo seems a little amatuer, because it is just that!

I have pins falling over all over the house, to the point that I am afraid the bowlers are going to wear out my reset buttons, lol.. I also have pins not making it to the cups during shuttling and causing a big pile up also. Here are my thoughts and question. I have vigorously been rebuilding clutches as I found they were full of grease and i Have also been tweaking distrubutors, but...

When it comes to this shuttle and table adjustments I am confused. The book says that the distance should be 7/8 from the thingy to thingy (shuttle to bin maybe?) I am sure you all know what I am talking about. I insert the guage at this point and OH MY, some of mine are like an inch and a half! Not a one of them is close. Am I in the right ball park, or did the previous mechanic have them adjusted this way for a reason. We are very busy and do not have a lot of down time, and it scares the hell out me to fly in and adjust this and cause a real problem?

Any thoughts on this situation would be appreciated!

Dave

It sounds like your shuttle is adjusted too far back if certain pins "do not make it to the cups." I wouldn't adjust the shuttle back to the 7/8" right away but just a little at a time until all pins consistantly shuttle. Chances are, the prior mechanic adjusted the shuttles to the rear because they were shuttling both pins (or double shuttling). If you move the shuttle forward and then start having problems double shuttling, you can also lower the height of the shuttle (without binding on cups) to help.

Comment

The 7/8 measurement is the height? I thought. The front to back is the other side of the guage, which is also off. When you say lower the shuttle, seems like what he has done.

With all that said, it seems that the pins take forever to get to the cups, which is why I thought they where to far away. The front to back measurement is more like an inch and half on the guage? am I right?

Comment

when the table is at the top make sure the bin is close to the cups. Use the slotted back bin brackets( or whatever they are called) to get the right height. I still have shims under them since synth. installed

Comment

To lower the shuttle, just remove the bolt that secures one of the rod ends and wind it out until the shuttle is close to the cups without hitting them.The 7/8" gap refers to the front of the rear tube to the back of the bin assy, that 1/2" or adj on the ST-6519 refers to the height of the shuttle tubes under the bin assy, the lower you can get it the better without actually hitting the cups.
          AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

When I adjust shuttles front to back I start with the gauge measurement. That usually works but the proper shuttle adjustment is when it smoothly shuttles all ten pins while they are sitting in the bin pushed all the way forward. Of course there could also be bad or broken parts on the shuttle too....this will cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
              When I adjust shuttles front to back I start with the gauge measurement. That usually works but the proper shuttle adjustment is when it smoothly shuttles all ten pins while they are sitting in the bin pushed all the way forward. Of course there could also be bad or broken parts on the shuttle too....this will cause problems.
              This way works excellent, I did mine the exact same way
              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Originally posted by Rep View Post
                This way works excellent, I did mine the exact same way
                Great minds think alike!

The book will tell you to use the gauge, which is fine, but often times you have to deviate from that due to the install or worn parts or whatever....bottom line is that the adjustment you make causes correct and smooth operation.

Comment

Thanks TJ! Indeed we do seem to think and work a lot alike! It's a great method I stumbled upon by accident really. I was having occasional pile ups at the 2 pin on lane 33 years back. No one could catch it, in passing one night I saw it shuttle and no 2 pin in the cup! I found when there was a double feed and it was up against the butt plate it wouldn't shuttle. Since then I always set my shuttles that way. The gauge is good and gets you in the ball park, then ya just fine tune from there
                  All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Originally posted by Rep View Post
                    Thanks TJ! Indeed we do seem to think and work a lot alike! It's a great method I stumbled upon by accident really. I was having occasional pile ups at the 2 pin on lane 33 years back. No one could catch it, in passing one night I saw it shuttle and no 2 pin in the cup! I found when there was a double feed and it was up against the butt plate it wouldn't shuttle. Since then I always set my shuttles that way. The gauge is good and gets you in the ball park, then ya just fine tune from there
                    Yup!

Comment

I try that way also although they don't sit too far forward in a DurabinII like they do in a stringer type bin....

I did catch though at my current centre a lot of double shuttles due to chit shuttle drive rods, with worn out compressed springs that were too short.....
                      AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

There could be a lot of different problems with what he is having. When setting a new rack what is happening? Is there one pin falling causing the domino effect or are they wobbly and random pins fall over?

The shuttle as other described has multiple adjustments and factors when you are having double shuttling issues or no shuttle on one pin. Make sure you shuttle operator rod is in good working order by pushing in on the rear of the shuttle. You will want to make sure the table is up so as to catch the pins. If you can't push the shuttle in with some force and it springs back then you have rod problems and will need to be rebuilt. I had this happen once and it caused me all sorts of problems. Also make sure the table is stopping in the right spot. If you have the book it will show you what needs to line up on the table drive unit. It would be hard to describe with out a picture just what I am talking about.

Comment

I find a good table "355" stopping point is, as you are standing in front of the machine looking at the table drive with the table at home, the nylon roller on the table drive should be sitting about 1/2"(min) to maybe 3/4" behind the trip lever for the table drive. This is not too early and not too late, everyone has their own place I just like them to stop here as it seems to work really well.

Comment

On mine, on the table drive, I have the latch that falls into the slot stop 1/8" before the slot. This is basicaly the same as TJ.

Comment

Are these pins falling over from hitting the respot fingers? Talked about cleaning clutches, could there have been alot of dist.jams/ pins in table / bent up stuff. (cups / silver rail with main carb link / X-yoke ?

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse