Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous sweep run in a stepper chassis

If this thing were a car, it would have a rebuilt title. I put relays and a stepper back into a chassis that looked to be in good shape. I put it on a lane, and as soon as I turned the breaker on, the sweep ran to about 270 and the klixon kicked out, followed by the breaker. I tried a second time and everything happened the same way. When I pulled the sweep motor plug and tried a third time, I could hear the breaker humming, and after ten seconds or so it tripped again. It's pretty clear that I have a short in the chassis, so I pulled the connections on the sweep relay and used a meter to check them against a good chassis. Everything seems to be in good order and the wiring looks okay. Could this be caused by a diode that's conducting both ways? I suppose new boards would be my next step. I'm new to working on chassis, so any stepper insight would be awesome. Thanks!

Toby
    82-70B, Stepper chassis
    www.mooseexchange.org

Toby, I think I have the explanation of each step of the stepper as well as a wiring diagram for this chassis....if that will help. If this were a SS chassis I would say the 24v to the contractor coil is grounding causing it to run and (possibly) trip the breaker, but this is a different chassis so im not sure. And on the SS chassis, been awhile, but if the diode (varistor) goes you can have a continuous sweep or no sweep at all. If you want this stuff let me know.

Comment

Is the varistor a little black block with three terminals on it? I found one of those in each of our ball returns. What does it do, and how do I test it? I have both sets of schematics, but finding this stuff inside the chassis is a whole other ballgame.

Toby
      82-70B, Stepper chassis
      www.mooseexchange.org

Comment

Figured it out. After another evening with the meter, I found that two wires were switched on the relay. I might have done it, or it may have been wired improperly by another tech, hence they parted it out. This particular chassis was converted from an A-machine, so there's a lot of extra wiring to sort through. What a pain! Thanks, Tablejam.

Toby
        82-70B, Stepper chassis
        www.mooseexchange.org

Comment

Ur awesome Toby!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse