Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Ringtube

Had a lane that had a bad ringtube for awhile, bumpy all the way around it (how does that even happen?) causing serious vibration "issues". So got a spare wheel with a new ringtube ready to go and with a little help changed out the pin elevator in about an hour, so much better now. I knew how to do it but never actually pulled one until today, was fairly easy (again with a helper). The worst part was taking everything off before pulling it and putting all this stuff back on and adjusting, but really not bad at all. I think I would rather do one of these than a pit. The new ringtube has a slight bump where the two ends are welded together but it should not be a problem, there are several older ones that have been running that way for decades just fine. I just wanted to post this because it was a big deal for me having never done it before and now I can say I have!

Should seen it though, I went to pull out the wick and spring and the damn thing flew out, the right side of my face was covered in that gunk, still trying to get it to come off! ...lol, that's what I get for not doing it while I had the wheel off!

I was taught that you are supposed to get the elevator off the machine then lay it down on the floor to remove it from the wheel. Well that is not possible here so we removed the elevator assembly, leaned it against the next machine, then took off the top rollers and easily lifted the metal stamping right off, then switched the wheel and put it all back together. It was easy.

That's one thing I really love about the design of these machines, an apparent big job like this that looks like it can be intimidating for someone doing it the first time turns out to be no big deal at all.

Last edited by Tablejam; 03-15-2012, 03:25 AM.

Isn't it always an adventure to go somewhere new even if you don't want to.You found the satisfaction when you turn it back on and the wheel is not rolling down that washboard road anymore.
    70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
    Prolane Walker sport

Comment

Here i thought you had done everything TJ! Ringtube isn't that big a deal really but I totally understand what you are saying, its like "oh man, I'm about to take 1/3 of the machine off".

How long did it take you with it standing up on the next lane? seems like that could be a bit of a PITA if you didn't have enough space to lay it out.
      When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

How exactly do you remove one of these things? I've looked at the hardware and thought to myself, "Heck no, never." Do you put a jack under it so the bolts don't start cutting new threads as you take them out?

Toby
        82-70B, Stepper chassis
        www.mooseexchange.org

Comment

I have done 12 machines so far ,doing it the same way , as I have had to replace ALL the bolts securing the Ring to the Pinwheel, 2 1/2 hrs per machine by myself, (the first was the worst as I had never done one before)
          What I do is remove the dizzy support,
          remove the 2 securing bolts on the side away from the Motor/gearbox back panel
          Slacken the 2 bolts on the back panel under the motor
          I have a stool made up the right height to support the panel a just swing the panel so I can remove the pinwheel,
          its a bit of a struggle getting it back in but after a few times it gets easier
          82-70's
          Computor Score
          Elco/Omega Tec
          PBL's
          Express CE Oxyshock/Versitity
          16 Wood
          No pindication

Comment

Originally posted by Grit View Post
            Here i thought you had done everything TJ! Ringtube isn't that big a deal really but I totally understand what you are saying, its like "oh man, I'm about to take 1/3 of the machine off".

How long did it take you with it standing up on the next lane? seems like that could be a bit of a PITA if you didn't have enough space to lay it out.
            Well I think the two major things I haven't done are replace an entire bin and pull a table out.

Once we got the elevator leaning against the next machine, it really only took about 10 minutes to change the wheel, this part was actually easier than I though it would be. Take off the two top rollers then the entire back of the elevator can be easily lifted off the wheel. roll the wheel out of the way, roll in the replacement, set the elevator stamping on the wheel and put the (good) rollers back on....done.
            Originally posted by Toby View Post
            How exactly do you remove one of these things? I've looked at the hardware and thought to myself, "Heck no, never." Do you put a jack under it so the bolts don't start cutting new threads as you take them out?

Toby
            If you can get a helper it will be much easier but you really only have to be careful with the bolts on the OBDS, they go into nuts welded on the machine. The BDS bolts just go through holes and you secure them with nuts. We got the OBDS started first then I put in the other bolts.

Comment

Will see if I can put up some pic,s of the top roller mods I have done,

Ok Tablejam
              got the pic,s posted
              Last edited by Never_to_old; 03-15-2012, 07:51 PM.
              82-70's
              Computor Score
              Elco/Omega Tec
              PBL's
              Express CE Oxyshock/Versitity
              16 Wood
              No pindication

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post

Toby
                Well in your best interest would be to take the weight of the elevator off the bolts, this can be done with a helper or some kind of jack or pieces of wood for the pinwheel to sit on. We removed the bottom bolts first then loosened the tops and took out the BDS side first so the wheel was sitting on the ground then took out the OBDS bolt.

Comment

Knocking on wood, I've only changed one in my time working on machines, which was an 82-30 and by myself. I HATE PINWHEELS ON THE 30S!! There is nothing greasier on the entire machine!!! Guess thats why I am converting mine to the clutch and kidneys, no more toggles either!! A tip for other 30 mechs--- A ringtube from an 82-70 works great on an open wheeled 30! And it can be bolted on and no more strain on the toggle castings!!
                  Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

I agree with TJ so you should put get a helper or something to take the weight off the elevator bolts, but tensile strength of 5/16 bolts is 270 lbs so it can take the weight. the weld on the nut though, is a crap shoot that may not be happy with all the weight.

Step 1. remove dizzy and dizzy support bracket
                    Step 2. unbolt the step, the handrail and break free ONE of the ODBS bolts
                    Step 3. Remove the belt guard, and take the belt off the pulley on the gearbox
                    Step 4. remove the strap that goes to the pin wheel belt tensioner turn it up and out of the way
                    Step 4. remove the BDS bolts /brackets
                    Step 5. now is when you should really take the weight off to be nice to your bolts, then take the OBDS bolt you loosened out and then break the other one free. It will pivot down and then you can take the last bolt out and its done.

the carriage bolts holding the ringtube to the pinwheel would be the next step then you can unbolt a bearing and separate the 3 parts. same thing in reverse to put it together. just make sure the FIRST and LAST thing you do is the dizzy. TJ did hint at how nasty the job can be though. after the first time I did this I started taking them outside to clean up its mindblowing how dirty they get especially when you let em run on shot bearings for...years...
                    When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

I lucked out, I only had to do one in my 11+ years and I had a chaser with me. The tube that came out was broken, I think I even posted pics on here a while back. Me being a smaller guy the extra hands really helped a lot. I replaced all hardware when I did it obviously and man did that machine purr when it was all said and done. Smooth as silk!
                      All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I hear ya there Rep, being "vertically challenged" myself there was no way I was going to do this alone. Like you said it sure is nice when you are done and its running nice and smooth.

How you doing with your A2s?

Comment

Make yourself a dolly with two 2" wheels and 2 2 1/2" wheels. The dolly will slide under the wheel making the job a breeze
                          Regards,

Billy T
                          bthompson@qubicaamf.us

Comment

We had one that came off the bearings. A dolly was exactly what I used. I wedged it under the wheel and levered it back enough to step over it. Was able to maneuver it back on my own.
                            Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

The last one that I did I just left the wheel in the lane that it was in after putting a jack under it,it stayed there leaning against the plows and the BE motor.Of course after taking off all the rollers and dist support and such.
                              70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
                              Prolane Walker sport

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Table cutting off before the end of the cycle

I have one lane that has been giving me trouble lately. It used to be every once in awhile but now it is happening every cycle. Start 1st ball cycle, sweep drops does the usual...

ETU diagnostic tool

I've posted before about wanting to try and figure out how to fix these trigger boards we have. I'm trying to map the thing out and create a schematic, but it's slow going, especially...

Gutter Straps

Hey everyone, I hope someone can direct me in the right direction. I'm looking to find either a part number or someone willing to part with some.gutter straps. I have plastic...

AMF 82-90XL BE Gearbox seals part number cross reference.

I have spent a few hours cross checking part numbers for my 82-90xl's Back end gearboxes. I have found that most auto part stores carry these seals for a fraction of the price...

Roller Clutch issue

Has anyone had to remove the plastic ring in the back side of the plate in order to achieve good indexing? I now have 2 roller clutches without the backing rings in service. Either...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X