Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82-90XL vs. Xli Edge Pinspotters

I'm developing a brand new FEC with 28 lanes of bowling. Originally, due to the increased cost of the 90Xli Pinspotter we felt for the value, the 82-90XL was the better choice. However, since we made our original choice, the Xli Edge has come out. After doing some research and contacting our sales representative, it seems the Xli Edge may have increased value over the 90Xli that is worth taking a second look at. Although intrigued, I realize there are very few installations out there. I was wondering if I could get any thoughts from any more experienced folks than me as to the value of the improvements from the 82-90XL to the Xli Edge. Although first hand accounts are great, I realize that is probably unlikely. So if you know the improvements in the Xli Edge and have personal experience with the 82-90XL that would be perfect in my opinion. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Nathan

One giant advantage the Edge machine has is the superior elevator/pan design which is supposed virtually eliminate pin orientation issues, something that every machine from the 70 up to the Xli has been plagued with. I don't know the specific differences between the two machines but if it we me I would go for the Edge machine for the simple fact that less problems = happier customers.

Comment

If I were building a center and had the option of NEW pinsetters I would go with the Xli-Edge. My second decision would be the Brunswick GSX. The Xli-Edge is an updated 82/70, tried and tested design. Really can't go wrong with the machine. There is more plastic involved with the Xli-Edge which could be a concern, but time will tell.

If I had to pick a used machine I would go with an 82/70 with national motors, SS chassis, and PBL. Then update the chassis if it hasn't been done already. There are a lot of aftermarket parts for the 70s to help make them run very well.

I would make sure you can get chassis parts and motor parts if you pick a 90XL.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MCSS View Post
        If I were building a center and had the option of NEW pinsetters I would go with the Xli-Edge. My second decision would be the Brunswick GSX. The Xli-Edge is an updated 82/70, tried and tested design. Really can't go wrong with the machine. There is more plastic involved with the Xli-Edge which could be a concern, but time will tell.

If I had to pick a used machine I would go with an 82/70 with national motors, SS chassis, and PBL. Then update the chassis if it hasn't been done already. There are a lot of aftermarket parts for the 70s to help make them run very well.

I would make sure you can get chassis parts and motor parts if you pick a 90XL.
        The GSX also (seems) to have more plastic parts. Even if you went with good used stock 70's, everything can be upgraded to the point that it's pretty much almost a 90Xli, but then that costs money down the road and I guess that would depend on how much was originally spent for the machines. With so many upgrades you might as well get the newest machines available. If it were my center, I would go for the Edge machine, it's a time tested design, improved many times, has more durable parts than the GSX, is easier to learn and maintain, and the basic design has proven itself (for decades) to be very durable and can handle a lot of lineage. This is probably the single biggest and most important investment you can make in a bowling center, so do your research and read what everyone has to say, I'm sure a lot more great information will be posted on here.

I must point out I have never touched a GSX so my opinions are solely based on what I have seen and read about those machines and my years of experience with the 82/70 which is the basic design of the Edge machine. Maybe some GSX guys can counter my points? Also, maybe some guys with 90XL, 90XLi, and if there is someone with Edge machines can all post their opinions.

Yes I am biased a little towards AMF, after all WE invented the very first automatic pinspotter!...lol
        Last edited by Tablejam; 03-21-2012, 12:53 AM.

Comment

For what it's worth, I updated 6 lanes of my 70MPs to 70XLi's over the past summer. I have been very happy with the performance of these machines, as we also have Durabins installed on them as well. I don't think it's possible to update a 70 to the Edge (at least it's not at this point and I don't know if the engineers in Richmond are going to make it compatible), but I do know that I will update additional MPs to the XLi technology as soon as I can afford additional kits.
          I really enjoy the Simpsons. My problem is that I am starting to look like Homer. Doh!!!

Comment

If you are sold on AMF the only fly in the ointment on the 70 90 XL XLI has always been a pinfeed problem. The edge seems to have taken the Achillies heel out of the machine with the new setup. So if it can fit in the budget the Edge seems to be the setter of choice if AMF is you choice of machine! You mentioned the possibility of 90XL bad luck may have you getting the machines that had out of round wheels and then you will really be pulling hair.
            70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
            Prolane Walker sport

Comment

For me Qubica/AMF has done a lot to certainly deserve our business and at this point we are fully committed to them. I believe we can squeeze the new equipment in the budget, but I know some out there say take the savings of the refurbished over the expense of new. It certainly is a big decision. Based on the responses, can anyone explain to me (remember I am a novice) why the pin distribution on the previous models has been such a problem? Everyone here including my Qubica/AMF sales representative has told me this.

Comment

The distributor is a good design but the pinfeed is the problem. Too much give and take trying to get the pins to feed on a turning pan and a vibrating wheel plus every machine has its own likes and dislikes with the pinguide closer or farther away from the pan up or down they all just dont act the same. The edge has a stationary turnpan not mounted to the distributor the butt of the pin seems to always come out correctly onto the dist. Just seems like a winner.
                70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
                Prolane Walker sport

Comment

I have talked to a number of customers with the XLi EDGE that are members of Bowltech (though I don't see them post very often). Hopefully they will volunteer some input for your consideration. The reports I have heard so far are living up to my expectations.
                  Regards,

Billy T
                  [email protected]

Comment

That would be great. Any information will be appreciated. It's a tough decision, though I know QAMF is hoping I buy new!

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
                      The GSX also (seems) to have more plastic parts. Even if you went with good used stock 70's, everything can be upgraded to the point that it's pretty much almost a 90Xli, but then that costs money down the road and I guess that would depend on how much was originally spent for the machines. With so many upgrades you might as well get the newest machines available. If it were my center, I would go for the Edge machine, it's a time tested design, improved many times, has more durable parts than the GSX, is easier to learn and maintain, and the basic design has proven itself (for decades) to be very durable and can handle a lot of lineage. This is probably the single biggest and most important investment you can make in a bowling center, so do your research and read what everyone has to say, I'm sure a lot more great information will be posted on here.

I must point out I have never touched a GSX so my opinions are solely based on what I have seen and read about those machines and my years of experience with the 82/70 which is the basic design of the Edge machine. Maybe some GSX guys can counter my points? Also, maybe some guys with 90XL, 90XLi, and if there is someone with Edge machines can all post their opinions.

Yes I am biased a little towards AMF, after all WE invented the very first automatic pinspotter!...lol
                      My concern with the new AMF machines is where are they made? Does the steel table bend easy like that of a GSX? Will the motors and other electronics be available in 6 years?

Brunswick makes there machine, so parts should always be available. AMF I believe outsources everything now days, so what happens if a vendor shuts down? I would be worried if VIA is the company that produces the parts for AMF.

Reason I would take a used 70 over a new AMF is because they are built tougher in my opinion.

As far as ease of working on the machines, I think AMF wins that one. The pit on the GSX is a lot easier then a 82/70.

The GSX runs very well, the plastic parts do break, but I believe the new 90Xli-Edge will run circles around a GSX. There are no wires going to the new AMF tables like the GSX, which eliminates a lot of the electrical issues the GSX will have after a few years of running. The GSX will set individual pins, cool feature, but is not something I would consider a selling point.
                      Mike

Comment

Will the back end of the XLi Edge bolt onto the front end of an 82/70XLi? Would it mount with existing steel kickbacks? Or are they too completely different? What I am kinda getting at is with my current XLi can we bolt on the XLi Edge back end??
                        AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

I wondered about that too for 70's but I think it is completely different, at least the plows are, so I would imagine the elevator may be too, but i don't know.....Billy?

Comment

Cuz don't ya think it would be awesome to retro-fit an Edge back end to your existing pinspotter.....
                            AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Of all the things I want to upgrade that would be the first and smartest one to do but as far as I know for now there are no plans to offer it as an (expensive) upgrade for the 70, but it sure would be worth it.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse