Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front roller bolts

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Front roller bolts

    Hi guys,

    Has anyone tried any other bolts for the front rollers? Like larger inhex heads or torx or something else? Im getting sick and tired of stubborn bolts that wont come out or the heads get stripped. Can't even use an impact because of the bit thickness it just snaps. Is it just me or are the bolts in the front roller a complete joke? Not to mention dangerous.

  • #2
    hit the bolt with brass/deadblow really freaking hard then it turns out easy peasy lemon squeezy. how have you been doing it?

    also chasing the threads is pretty much required make it nice and easy next time too.
    When you know what to do, everything is easy.

    Comment


    • #3
      Smack them hard with a hammer and they normally loosen up nicely, yes. But some rollers dont play ball. Now considering the manufacturer states those bolts to be torqued to 400lbs/in... there is no bit on the market rated for that.. so what the hell?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by seanm View Post
        Hi guys,

        Has anyone tried any other bolts for the front rollers? Like larger inhex heads or torx or something else? Im getting sick and tired of stubborn bolts that wont come out or the heads get stripped. Can't even use an impact because of the bit thickness it just snaps. Is it just me or are the bolts in the front roller a complete joke? Not to mention dangerous.
        Take a large hammer and just wack the bolt head. Stripped ones will mash down so you can get some grip. Use a good (Craftsmen or name brand hardened) allen wrench with a two foot pipe. Crack all loose before you use your inpact. This is why all the rollers are bumpy, (alot of pounding)

        Comment


        • #5
          Sorry, (slow typer) I also ues heat on the tough ones.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rivmike View Post
            Sorry, (slow typer) I also ues heat on the tough ones.
            What do you heat them with?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by seanm View Post
              What do you heat them with?
              Map gas yellow tank torch, from the hardware store. I use green 680 Locktite on mine so I usually need heat.

              Comment


              • #8
                I spray around the bolt head with P B Blaster.Then let front roller sit for a day or so.Then hit around the head with a hammer.In my experience it's the head of the bolt that is frozen not the threads

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hit them hard for a few whacks, and if the are still tight, hit them a few more times. I have had to hit a few 12-14 times to get them to budge. Please wear eye and hearing protection prior to doing this.
                  If it cant be fixed with a hammer, use a bowling pin.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Got any spare table/sweep rods lying around? Whip the rod end off and you have a 3 foot bar to slip over your allen key. If the nut head is dead, weld a 9/16 bolt or nut to it and get the socket on it, the heat from welding helps it pop

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by clutchplate View Post
                      ...... Please wear eye and hearing protection prior to doing this.
                      "What, what did you say?"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MarkyB View Post
                        Got any spare table/sweep rods lying around? Whip the rod end off and you have a 3 foot bar to slip over your allen key. If the nut head is dead, weld a 9/16 bolt or nut to it and get the socket on it, the heat from welding helps it pop
                        Is the 3' rod used so that when the allen key breaks your hands and arms are out of harms way from the jagged edges????????????/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I guess but I think its more for getting more leverage on it. I just use an allen socket and ratchet after smacking them with a hammer several times.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            whacking, heat and extra tube for leverage is going to be the way to go. When reinstalling I clear the threads then use the same size bolts but get them from grainger and use blue locktite. Have not had one back out yet and they are easier to remove.
                            Sometimes we have to do stuff to get by....Just go back and do it right when the "by" has passed!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NeverSeenThat View Post
                              Is the 3' rod used so that when the allen key breaks your hands and arms are out of harms way from the jagged edges????????????/
                              its called leverage

                              Comment

                              Topic Starter RibbonScript

                              Collapse

                              Adsense Classic 2

                              Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                               

                              Well this is a first.

                              We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...
                               

                              Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

                              Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...
                               

                              Even old mechanics find something new.

                              All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...
                               

                              82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

                              We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...
                               

                              Prolane damage

                              Can this be repaired?
                               

                              LED Ball Lights

                              Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X