Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting bin question

Since having our synthetics installed and having adjusted each table to spot, I am now snapping cups. All of the cups are hitting and lifting the bin up when the machine cycles. Each shuttle is adjusted as close as it can be to the bin and still work. Do I raise the front end of the machine or can I shim the entire bin up to compensate? These 70s were installed 6 years ago and set to the height of the original pin decks which were over 50 years old and had been cut and sanded numerous times.

Measure from the lane surface to the bottom of the frame at each mount foot. Originally, it's set at 19". Will still work pretty well at 18 7/8". If you have to raise any, loosen the downsweep track brackets and the A - B bolts. Set the 4 corners at the same height.
    If you do this, you realize you'll have to go throught the table adjustments again, but they shouldn't be far off.
    When installing, I do it in this order:

Frame to lane even in all 4 corners. 19"
    Table bottom dead center - no pins - set to 5/16 or 3/8 from deck, and level with rods.
    Flag while down there. Remove spot rod if it needs 7 pin side needs moved.
    Run to top and get pins from bin, stop at 14" off deck - check the toe here - half bubble toward back.
    Continue with pins till they are 1/8" off deck (the majority of them) and set spot rod.
    While here, adjust each pin to spot.

Run with motor to see how they spot.
    Widen narrow cups if any pin falls over. Otherwise, they should spot without pins wobbling (unless pin bottom is bad).

On a occasion, you might find someone has widened all the cups too far throwing off the toe and spot rod. You can check some of them on each lane before you start.
    This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Originally posted by cdsand5 View Post
      Since having our synthetics installed and having adjusted each table to spot, I am now snapping cups. All of the cups are hitting and lifting the bin up when the machine cycles. Each shuttle is adjusted as close as it can be to the bin and still work. Do I raise the front end of the machine or can I shim the entire bin up to compensate? These 70s were installed 6 years ago and set to the height of the original pin decks which were over 50 years old and had been cut and sanded numerous times.
      You can move the bracket the bin hangs on. May have to drill a new set of holes to get the correct height.(tighter the better)

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
        Measure from the lane surface to the bottom of the frame at each mount foot. Originally, it's set at 19". Will still work pretty well at 18 7/8". If you have to raise any, loosen the downsweep track brackets and the A - B bolts. Set the 4 corners at the same height.
        If you do this, you realize you'll have to go throught the table adjustments again, but they shouldn't be far off.
        When installing, I do it in this order:

Frame to lane even in all 4 corners. 19"
        Table bottom dead center - no pins - set to 5/16 or 3/8 from deck, and level with rods.
        Flag while down there. Remove spot rod if it needs 7 pin side needs moved.
        Run to top and get pins from bin, stop at 14" off deck - check the toe here - half bubble toward back.
        Continue with pins till they are 1/8" off deck (the majority of them) and set spot rod.
        While here, adjust each pin to spot.

Run with motor to see how they spot.
        Widen narrow cups if any pin falls over. Otherwise, they should spot without pins wobbling (unless pin bottom is bad).

On a occasion, you might find someone has widened all the cups too far throwing off the toe and spot rod. You can check some of them on each lane before you start.

This is one of those whatever-works-well-for-you things but....

Before starting any of these adjustments it would be wise to check and correct any bad parts and the cup gap first, as bad parts can make things difficult and improper cup gaps can mess up your spotting adjustments.

I set the table height and level with pins in the cups cranked into spotting. The reason is when the machine operates normally, this adjustment will be different than if you set it without the spot rod connected or cranked into spotting. Even with everything new and tight during spotting the front of the table gets pulled up slightly so if you set the front to back level without the spot rod it will be different than when it is actually spotting, in some cases it can be so different that it messes up your other adjustments. Also setting the toe at 14" seems a little high, 6" works just fine for me.

And 19" from the deck is a very good place to be.

I agree, when you flag the table take off the spot rod, it will pull the table forward if you don't. Flagging the table can only be done after bad parts have been replaced and the table is level side to side and front to back AND is minimum 5/16" off the deck, if any of this is off your flags will not show the true position of the table. The flag reading is taken with the table 5/16" off the deck only, if your table is higher the flags' points will be off slightly to the rear and 10 side as they will be lifted higher up than they should be.

Comment

I would check Ted's 19" measurement first - otherwise the contact will continue - then when the table is lowered there will be room for the shuttle to operate without interference with the cups

Comment

I measured all 24 table heights. They range from 18 3/8 to 18 1/2 across the house. Knowing this along with knowing I have to slide 8 front ends forward in order to get my spotting issues taken care of is gonna make a long summer lol.

Comment

having to raise that much might get worse because you may not be able to get clearance at the distributor as it crosses the back. You may have to raise backends also. That is my project this summer. All my distributors are shimmed way up at the mounts on cross bar creating an angle that i am sure is not helping my pin feed.
              Sometimes we have to do stuff to get by....Just go back and do it right when the "by" has passed!!

Comment

I have already resigned myself to the fact I will have to raise the backends also. Guess thats why I am paid the big bucks

Comment

19" is the frame height

Comment

Good call Ted
                    IT'S CARNIVAL TIME!!!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                    Working...
                    X