Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot/Respot spring bracket tearing the weld

What do I do with out a welder?? Spot/Respot spring bracket has ripped the weld on the respot side of the main frame right above the spotting torque tube. I can't re-weld since there is no welder here and owner won't rent a welder. I have an idea, but wanted to run this past some gurus before I proceed!

Don't need a welder. There are two thing you can do....

1. For the time being you can repair it. You need a thick or strong piece of metal such as a L bracket or you could open one of those clips for the large plow (000-023-431) into an L and bolt the bracket to it and bolt the L bracket to the frame, with some drilling. Below is an example of using a straight piece of thick metal...

Just make sure its back far enough to put enough tension on the springs, doesn't have to be exact.

Or.....

2. You can order the repair kit from AMF 070-007-761 "kit-bracket spot/respot repair" then drill one hole bolt it in place then hook on the springs and you are done. You must first completely remove the old bracket.
    Last edited by Tablejam; 05-05-2012, 12:59 AM.

Comment

The repair bracket looks like this...

The top and bottom rest behind and against the machine frame and the tension from the springs keeps it forward, the bolt you install on the bottom keeps it from shifting position.

Comment

I have taken a pit angle bracket and bolted in place of the existing bracket. Just drill two holes on each side of bracket for your springs. Works great and plenty strong enough.
        If it cant be fixed with a hammer, use a bowling pin.

Comment

Yeah doesn't have to be anything special it just needs to be strong enough to stay in place.

Comment

Wow, I just realized those pictures I took really suck!

Comment

Those are fine pics!

Comment

Originally posted by 8270king View Post
                Those are fine pics!
                Well thank you Sir!

Comment

With enough vodka and squinting of the eyes...................

Comment

I've fixed this with 2, 3 X 3/8in bolts. After bending the bracket straight I drilled 2 3/8in holes on both sides of the bracket. Then I put a jam nut on both bolts with just enough room for the bolt to go threw and still be able to put a lock washer and another jam nut on the other side. Unfortunately i do not have any pics but this has been holding up in my machine for 2 1/2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by cdsand5 View Post
                      With enough vodka and squinting of the eyes...................

Originally posted by interwhat View Post
                      I've fixed this with 2, 3 X 3/8in bolts. After bending the bracket straight I drilled 2 3/8in holes on both sides of the bracket. Then I put a jam nut on both bolts with just enough room for the bolt to go threw and still be able to put a lock washer and another jam nut on the other side. Unfortunately i do not have any pics but this has been holding up in my machine for 2 1/2 years.
                      Done that before, works nicely.

Comment

Ive always used a Ball Lift Track Support Bracket, Which has 3/8 X 16 Nut already in the bracket. Place it Inside the bracket on Respot side, which is side that always breaks. Drill hole from Underneath, Red Lock-Tite, Done. Ive honestly never seen the entire weld break off. Ive only seen the weld on respot side break and allow respot side to creep forward.

Comment

^That's a good one, those track support brackets are nice and thick.

Comment

I've used old kicker support brackets before, already in an L shape, cut the bolt off, drills holes etc... good to go.
                            This area of the machine should have been a bolted bracket to begin with and this wouldn't occur. How much is the repair kit?

Comment

There are several areas that should have been bolted in but were welded....what...did they think these parts would never wear out or break? At least on the new machines these areas have been corrected.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X