Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin guide rail issue

Hi guys,
    A fellow head tech at one of our centre's asked me for help the other day and what I saw is a problem I have never seen before, and to be honest don't understand how it could happen, but it did as I saw it.... when base first pins go up the pinwheel along the pingiude rail they don't actually touch the rail, 9 out of 10 pins drop onto the rail about an inch before the o pan but that 1 in 10 will sail right over the o pan. If you turn the b/e off with a pin in the pinwheel there is roughly 3/8"- 1/2" gap between the pin and the rail. What I want to know is how the hell could that happen. I have suggested to him take ALL the holders off and swap them with another odd lane... and see if problem moves.
    Anyone here ever seen this before and if so how did they fix it??

Cheers in advance ....
    AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

I have'nt seen it but a friend with bruns. and the plastic pinwheel would have them stick and go over the top.(new pins only) Don't know if we have a static issue or diameter/not swelled. What mach. type and pin old/new ?

Comment

Are you saying the pins are stuck to the inside of the pin wheel?

Comment

You're saying the pins don't touch the kidney until almost an inch before the o-pan!?!? See if you can get a video of this! Is this happening on one machine only? I just don't understand how this is possible....
        You know, if my dog was as ugly as you. I'd shave his butt and tell him to walk backwards

Comment

Yeah he is running 90XL's, yeah the pin seems like it is stuck inside the pinwheel, the pins are AMFliteII's from 2009. Correct as McGolf asked, pins drop onto the guide rail about an inch before the O pan, I do have a video of it but it's 31Mb....
          I just don't get how pins travel so far up the pinwheel without touching the guide rail?? Yeah only one lane, an odd lane. (very bloody odd lane), and often the gap between the pin and rail is quite large, as I said bewteen 3/8" - 1/2"
          AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Only thing I can possibly think is tacky/dirty pinwheel/pins, if the pin isnt touching the rail then it must be 'stuck' to the pin holder

Comment

I have had the exact same thing happen. Check the pin holders, you will probably see a flat groove on the peak where the pins are held. I took a grinder and re-rounded the peak of the pin holder.
              If it cant be fixed with a hammer, use a bowling pin.

Comment

You could dab some lane conditioner on the pin holder as well. Are these pins pretty mushy through the middle, and does it make any difference which way they go up? In one machine or many/all?
                Could be, Pin_Head, if you cleaned that frowny face off the head of them, they wouldn't stick .
                This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Pin Head I have seen similar problems over the years, at Bennetts Green we used to have increased Pile Ups when it rained, it took awhile but eventually I found the problem to be Rust, in the high humidity environment at Bennetts, because it was between, the Biggest Salt water lake in Australia, Lake Macquarie, and the Pacific Ocean. I counteracted the problem by religiously wiping out the Pinwheels with a Mr Sheen type of product, everyday, which I brought in volume.

I did see another problem with the Machines at Forster, of a similar nature, this was a more pronounced sticking problem but the Pinwheels had been worked on because where they stored them they were Rusting badley, as I only helped for 8 weeks just after they opened, I never seen the final outcome or if they resolved the problem, you may have to talk to Terry Maloney on that subject as I got them to Employ him as he lived closer at Harrington.

Frank
                  always doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                    You could dab some lane conditioner on the pin holder as well. Are these pins pretty mushy through the middle, and does it make any difference which way they go up? In one machine or many/all?
                    Could be, Pin_Head, if you cleaned that frowny face off the head of them, they wouldn't stick .
                    LOL

The pins are pretty firm actually for 3 year old pins, oh Ted the grumpy face makes my pins work better lol, yeah it ONLY happens on base first pins, head first pins are fine. and only on lane 7 no other lane, even after a pin change and cleaning the pinwheel it still happens...

Will definitely tell him to try clutchplates trick of re rounding the holders....

Comment

I wonder if some nuffy has put the wrong pin holders / or pinwheel on?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                        I thought we oiled the pins for better carry.

Comment

Originally posted by rivmike View Post
                          Oh no...

Comment

Originally posted by rivmike View Post

Oh that old chestnut again LOL

Comment

LOL...bend it?

the more i think about it the more it seems like it would have to be the pinholders or the pin wheel. if there was a bent support bracket for the kidney or a rubber was tearing it would show up on head first pins too. same thing with pinwheel slop it should be a problem both ways. Please let us know what you find pinhead.
                              Last edited by Grit; 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM.
                              When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X