Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep positioning

I have a sweep that is in time on the cam, but is still not sitting up right. Anyone know if its possible for the shaft to be in the gear box wrong causing it to sit different than all my other sweeps?

need more info ? not sure what you're saying. pics?

Comment

yeah what exactly isnt sitting right? Is the sweep not level? Is it not stopping in the right spots? Try to be as specific as possible
      Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

Comment

Were going through sweep adjustments in the house and some sit different than others.
        Right now we have a specific lane where the sweep will not sit up high enough at all at 0*.
        The rods that adjust height when its @ 0* are fully closed, and the sweep is adjusted correctly going front to back and side to side.

We were wondering why this one sits 6" closer to the pin deck @ 0* than other lanes?
        Paragould Bowling Center
        Paragould, AR
        General Manager

Comment

The book says the sweep bar at zero should be about 24" inches from the pindeck. If the sweep is otherwise fine in all the other adjustments, stops at the right places, runs smoothly, and is hidden by the masking unit when it is up, then really its fine. But if you want to find out why its like that it could be the machine is sitting too far forward or the height is wrong or there are issues somewhere with the sweep hardware. Like I said, it doesn't have to be perfect and doesn't have to match the others, if it does what it is supposed to do then I think I would leave it alone.

But see this all depends on what is going on. True sweep zero is when the sweep is as high as it will go which means the center of the bolts in the sweep crank and rocker arm are in line with the center of the sweep shaft. If it seems too low in that situation then its a hardware/adjustment/machine position issue. But if the sweep is actually stopping before or after this point making it seem like it sits too low then its an SA cam adjustment issue.

The sweep does not have to be 24" inches from the pindeck at top dead center it only needs to go high enough to be hidden behind the mask.
          Last edited by Tablejam; 05-13-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
            Were going through sweep adjustments in the house and some sit different than others.
            Right now we have a specific lane where the sweep will not sit up high enough at all at 0*.
            The rods that adjust height when its @ 0* are fully closed, and the sweep is adjusted correctly going front to back and side to side.

We were wondering why this one sits 6" closer to the pin deck @ 0* than other lanes?
            What angle is the crank arm at when you say 0. slightly up toward the front like the rest?

Comment

The arm is pointed down. And honestly, it looks like all the lanes are a little different. Is there an adjustment there?

And as an added note: These machines were kept together by morons before I & the lloyd were here, so please take into consideration something totally stupid that could be out of adjustment :P
              Paragould Bowling Center
              Paragould, AR
              General Manager

Comment

Sounds a bit like your cam timing is out,
                82-70's
                Computor Score
                Elco/Omega Tec
                PBL's
                Express CE Oxyshock/Versitity
                16 Wood
                No pindication

Comment

agree ^... crank by hand to see if its actually all the way up

Comment

Sounds like it stops at a late zero, and it is normal for every lane to be a little different.

Comment

Move the right side cam alittle to get the crank arm to stop with it pointing up at a slight angle. Then see if it's at the right height. After that you will have to move the finger to get the sweep to stop at gaurd.

Comment

The SA, SB, SC cam levers should all be adjusted evenly. the cams should be turned on the shaft to adjust the sweep stop positions. the SB/SC cam should be adjusted to stop the sweep at first guard. Adjust it so the sweep stops a hair before the sweep begins to go back after coming down. Adjust the SA cam to stop the sweep at second guard. It should stop the sweep at the point when the sweep stops coming forward and starts coming up.

If youre concerned about the sweep stop position at zero, you will have to go through all the sweep adjustments, starting with the main drive link. I forget the starting length for it off hand but getting the sweep adjusted involves going through a tedious process adjusting the main drive link, then adjusting the 2 long tie rods. Its kind of a pain in the butt because adjusting one screwes up the other. What I do when i adjust my sweeps is just make sure that both sweep arms clear the top of the machine frame when the sweep is all the way up (not zero, when the sweep is at its highest point) by about 1.5" Its prety nice when you start adjusting them all and adjust them all the same. looking down from one end of the machines and seeing all the sweeps sitting lined up perfectly on every lane is pretty cool

If you have a service manual, the sweep adjustment procedure is outlined in it
                        Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

Comment

The sweep drive link or 3126 rod minimum starting measurement is 10-1/8" center to center, do not go any shorter than this or the rocker arm can run into the table gearbox at zero.

Comment

What the the chances that the rod that the cams sit on is turned different from machine to machine which changes the angle and the height of the sweep a little.
                            Or are you saying we can adjust the cam angles on that rod so that the sweep stops differently?

From what we can see, the Arm Crank is just at a different angle on every lane no matter what adjustment we make.. and the cams are tilted a little forward on some lanes versus others. Just seems weird that if everything is tilted one way, can that main rod be adjusted into the gearbox to change the sweep height and timing of the sweep?

Any other opinions from anyone would be appreciated or just added comments to what I am saying. Thank you very much.
                            Paragould Bowling Center
                            Paragould, AR
                            General Manager

Comment

The cam is adjusted all that it can be. If i adjusted it anymore for it so stop sooner and sit up higher it ruins through to the 4,5,6 before it stops?

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X