Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep Motor Starting Mechanism Question

Ok, so although I do work throughout the pinsetting area from time to time, now that I am the General Manager, I don't seem to spend as much time back there as I used to. This morning my head mechanic alerted me that he has been blowing capacitors on lane 10. At first he thought it could have been caused by the capacitor touching the metal inside of the wireway housing. When this happened again, he went through the chassis plugs and replaced any pins that looked to be worn or burnt. Another capacitor was blown. This time he said that the sweep motor was overheating but refused to run. His question for me, which I am deferring to ya'll is this. It looks like there is a measurement in the stator area for the starting mechanism that you adjust with a tri square. He has not been able to find this measurement and believes this is what is causing our problems now. We are running Westinghouse motors and 5 board chassis with the Omega Tek Board Conversion here at our facility. I appreciate any thoughts you might have on this issue. Thanks!
    Kevin Blaney
    General Manager
    Valley Worlds of Fun
    (304)-366-8877
    If it ain't broke, fix it anyway

Sounds like your lower sweep contacts in the chassis is your likely problem.
    If it cant be fixed with a hammer, use a bowling pin.

Comment

Yeah i would say check the contactor. Some of the parts may come out of place or the rivots let go, or the screw holding the inner contacts falls out and shorts out. Usually something obvious if you take a few mins and look closely. You also may want to take the chassis off and turn it side to side to see if anything rattles around. A screw or nut or debris can wreak havok on you if it gets in there.
      Charley
      82-70's SS Chassis Omega-Tek w/expanders
      2009 Qubica scoring 3QT's and 6 box.

Comment

To ensure proper motor starting and operation, install centrifugal mechanisms as follows: (I always Go a little less, its a lot easier to go down further than come back up, pressed fit).

Combination motors using a flying weight style mechanism. Install centrifugal mechanismto a depth of 2 1/2 inches, measured from the end of the rotor shaft to the bottom of the mechanism.

Combination motors usinng a spring actuated style mechanism. Install centrifugal mechanism to a depth of 2 13/16 inches, measured from the end of the rotor shaft to the bottom of the mechanism.

Backend motors using a fly weight style mechanism. Install centrifigual mechanism to a depth of 1 7/8 inches, measured from the end of the rotor shaft to the bottom of the mechanism.

Backend motors using a spring actuated style mechanism. Install centrifigual to 2 9/16 inches, measured from the end of the rotor shaft to the bottom of the mechanism.

Verify proper depth. 7/8 to 1 inch, measured from the top of the bearing to the top of the mechanism's plunger. Take care to to ensure that all moving portions of the mechanism do not come in contact with the rotor.

***Be sure the end bell and bearing are not wore out***

Comment

Sounds like your sweep contact is to blame like they said above. A motor problem shouldnt blow up a capacitor. Only time ive seen capacitors blow up is when your contact shorts out. Ive never had a capacitor blow up as a result of an issue in the motor.
          Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

Comment

Spread out the things on the bad lane to good lanes and watch where the problem goes. (chassis, Omega-tek, Both motors, and also the sweep rev. switch) Kind of a pain, but I would swap the gear boxes (because of the cent. mechs.) if this lane has realy got you stumped.

Comment

Contactor trying to start and stop the motor at the same time for whatever reason, capacitors don't like that.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
              Working...
              X