Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instructomat LED on chassis

Hi guys,

I want to add an LED to the chassis to indicate if instructomat is active, like how 1st/2nd ball has been done here already.
    82/70 SS chassis.

Where can I tap in to obtain this?

Interesting, never hears of anyone wanting to do this before.

Comment

A&MC

INTRUCT-O-MAT
      When the managers control switch is moved into the Instruct-O-Mat position,
      the circuit is grounded. This ground prevents chassis logic from running the sweep down.
      The machine will not go through its cycles until the managers switch is returned to the
      bowl position. However, the back end motor will run normally with the managers
      switch in the Instruct-O-Mat (practice play) position.

A&MC Box 5 & 6 Mgrs Control
      If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
        INTRUCT-O-MAT
        When the managers control switch is moved into the Instruct-O-Mat position,
        the circuit is grounded. This ground prevents chassis logic from running the sweep down.
        The machine will not go through its cycles until the managers switch is returned to the
        bowl position. However, the back end motor will run normally with the managers
        switch in the Instruct-O-Mat (practice play) position.

A&MC Box 5 & 6 Mgrs Control
        Yes but will that circuit light an led when active?

Comment

Interesting idea. A circuit would have to be designed to indicate if one of the managers control wire is grounded. That sensing could be made to switch on an LED. Wish I knew more about circuit design. Of course, there should be a common place to add it for different chassis'.
          This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

I've put Instructomat lights on some of our SS Chassis - I don't have the schematic in front of me right now but I know it wasn't too difficult. Pretty sure I just ran one leg to ground and the other (via a resistor) to a pin on the motherboard, somewhere around PC#1. I'll check when I get back to work if anyone's interested in further details....

Comment

Just clip the wire and do away with the Instructomat circuit

Comment

Originally posted by 8270king View Post
                Just clip the wire and do away with the Instructomat circuit
                He does not want to do away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoctster View Post
                  I've put Instructomat lights on some of our SS Chassis - I don't have the schematic in front of me right now but I know it wasn't too difficult. Pretty sure I just ran one leg to ground and the other (via a resistor) to a pin on the motherboard, somewhere around PC#1. I'll check when I get back to work if anyone's interested in further details....
                  You bet we are. Of all the 82-70 posts, 'no cycle' seems to be one I see (or notice) more than anything else. Would be a great troubleshooting tools

Comment

I haven't done this before, but you should be able to connect an LED to pin #1 of the spot relay (which connects to T2 as well as the motherboard) then through a resistor and to ground. The resistor should be around 1.5Kohm. The short leg of the LED (also the leg on the same side as the flat spot) should be connected to ground:

HTML Code:
                    ---||---+--/\/\/-----|>|------GND
                      SP#1      1.5K    +LED-
                    + = connection to motherboard and T2 secondary.

Note that it's not really related to the spot relay/function - it's just that I don't have the pin number of the motherboard to tell you.

The manager's control circuit (switch or LIU/MIU) grounds the control wires as well as connecting them together (completing the M circuit and powering the machine - the Run mode connects them together without grounding them). The grounding creates a current path for the second secondary winding of T2 and for the instructomat input on the motherboard. It is that input that you are tapping into above.

Hope that helps.

Comment

9800MPChassis4.jpg
                      If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

Originally posted by seanm View Post
                        Hi guys,

I want to add an LED to the chassis to indicate if instructomat is active, like how 1st/2nd ball has been done here already.
                        82/70 SS chassis.

Where can I tap in to obtain this?
                        WOW some where in Melbourne they still allow Instructomat
                        What centre are you at?
                        Might have to bring some of my students in for coaching

Comment

Ok, here are some pics of one of our chassis with the LED for instructomat. We use these LEDs as they come wired complete with bezel and inline resistor for around AU$3.50 : http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL2646 They look good too!

The red cable from the LED runs to the motherboard, pin #5 on the PC#1 slot. We just drilled a small hole in the board and soldered it (carefully)to the trace.

P1000241.JPG

The black cable from the LED (with resistor) runs to ground, in this case there is also a diode (N4004) inline as well. Of course any exposed wires like this need to be insulated (I cut off the heatshrink to take this photo). I didn’t wire this one, and I don’t remember having to use a diode on any of the ones I did wire – either way, this works fine.

P1000237.JPG

Hope this helps....

Comment

How much current flow is there when the grey wire on T2 gets grounded? Couldn't you just run a resistor and led inline at that point? Female connector, wire, resistor, led, wire, spade connector between T2 and the grey wire. Then mount the led wherever you want on the chassis.
                            Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

Are these 5 volt LEDs, and the resistor is clamping the voltage?

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X