Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shuttle problem (missing back row of pins)

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shuttle problem (missing back row of pins)

I have been having problems with lane 32 for a while now. Now that Leagues are done I started tearing into it. What it is doing is the entire back row of pins are missing from time to time. I can never catch it when it happens. Yesterday I decided to change all the pinwheel ring rollers with new ones since I have the occasional pinjam on it. The bottom two had the stahls spring tension brackets on it which were doing nothing as the slider bushings grooved into the bracket and kept it from moving so I just changed them back to the old plates. I then pulled the shuttle assembly out and replaced it with a nice and shiny brand new shuttle assembly as I knew there were pin holders bent and two shuttle straps broken on it. Turned out three tubes were bent also. When putting in the new shuttle assembly I noticed two of the spotting cups had wear marks from the bin strap hitting it. So I raised the back of the bin assembly up 1/4" with a spacer on each side. I then raised the distributor height up to compensate for the bin adjustment. I put all new rubber bumpers in the bin and adjusted the shuttle gaps and let it run for about an hour before I had to go home last nite. Everything ran great on it when I left. I come in this morning and the entire back row of pins is missing again out of the bin assembly. The 9 bin switch tested out good when I was working on it yesterday. I put a new shuttle shock on a couple months ago due to the same issue. What else could it be. I am going to swap chassis' with a spare and possibly changed out the table drive assembly today. Any one else have any ideas?
    Live The Dream.

We had the exact same issues here. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it's something for you to check. See if you can get a ball to idle on the tail plank or flat gutter...second ball... Hit cycle. Here, when the table went to spot new pins, it would smack that idling ball and spot half the rack and bring the rest back up...Distributor out of time, no back row. My solution to this is abit lengthy. PM me if you'd like to chat.

Tom
    I can't even spell Brunsw-ick anymore!!!

Comment

Exactly as pinfeed said above; bearing in mind all the things you've already eliminated I'd suspect a ball idling on the front roller, especially as you say it only happens "from time to time". I've seen this problem intermittently causing the same issue you describe. If you have access to a surveillance camera, I'd suggest putting one on that machine to try and catch it as it happens...otherwise you could spend an eternity sitting, watching, waiting for something that will most likely occur the second you walk away!

Comment

If you're having an issue with the shuttle........why would you adjust the bin? The shuttle has it's own adjustments. I'd suggest bringing the machine's shuttle to the book starting points and going from there. Raising the bin, then the distributor kinda seems like a lot of work, especially when they aren't the problematic parts of the machine. Think simple, fix simple.
        Change the chassis, is not the answer.

Comment

Along this same thinking, I have had dead wood not get swept from the flat guttes causing exactly what you are describing. Just happened to catch it one day and had one of those "I coulda had a V-8" moments

Comment

Originally posted by exactlyvague View Post
            If you're having an issue with the shuttle........why would you adjust the bin? The shuttle has it's own adjustments. I'd suggest bringing the machine's shuttle to the book starting points and going from there. Raising the bin, then the distributor kinda seems like a lot of work, especially when they aren't the problematic parts of the machine. Think simple, fix simple.
            With the bin strap (pin hanger brackets) on the stringers making contact with the tops of the cups I thought it might be rocking the bottoms of the cups up just enough to possibly have the bolts on the shuttle hang the shuttle assembly up for a split second causing pins to fall through. I have had the machine cycling for 4 hours now with 19 pins up top in the bin and it hasn't messed up yet so I am trying to find that sweet spot on where the ball wants to idle still and see if that is the cause. I might have to order one of those pin/ ball idling products and put on if thats the case. Or maybe a 2x4 with some old carpet around it one of the two.
            Live The Dream.

Comment

All my bounce board gets the ball idling bracket.
              amf 82-70
              B2000
              quibca

Comment

I had a machine doing this exact same thing, never saw it happen but I'm positive it's from a ball idling on the front roller.

Originally posted by dothan View Post
                All my bounce board gets the ball idling bracket.
                Since this bracket mounts on the BDS side of the bounceboard, how does that prevent balls idling on the OBDS? That is the side where it seems to always happen, yet there is no bracket on that side and no room to put one there.

Comment

I would say the ball idle would not set any pins or dump a whole set. I have old plastic flat gutter bottoms cut in strips mounted to the back of the deck, also old carpet pieces screwed behind the flat gutter to stop idling.

Comment

Never had any balls idle OBDS. I think because of the slant of the bounce board toward the BDS. Unless a pin is there keeping it from moving.
                    amf 82-70
                    B2000
                    quibca

Comment

Originally posted by rivmike View Post
                      I would say the ball idle would not set any pins or dump a whole set. I have old plastic flat gutter bottoms cut in strips mounted to the back of the deck, also old carpet pieces screwed behind the flat gutter to stop idling.
                      Depending on the machine it may set none, dump some, or dump several.

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
                        Depending on the machine it may set none, dump some, or dump several.
                        I don't see it missing the back row only.

Comment

Originally posted by rivmike View Post
                          I don't see it missing the back row only.
                          Not impossible. If the table has enough slop in it, when it contacts a ball it can cause the back row pins to jump out of the cups. And it may not be the entire back row but looks that way when you get to the machine. What else could it be? Flaky BS maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by dothan View Post
                            Never had any balls idle OBDS. I think because of the slant of the bounce board toward the BDS. Unless a pin is there keeping it from moving.
                            The back of the flat gutter makes a nice pocket for the ball to fit in and the edge of the pindeck can keep the ball in place.
                            70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
                            Prolane Walker sport

Comment

Well that was the problem like Pinfeed said. I found the spot where it would idle. Low and behold obds and would track right along the back of the pindeck and the table would catch it. Only problem though is I screwed a 2x4 onto the back and it still isn't enough spacing to keep it from doing it. It just seems the front board of the bounce plate obds is way high. I am going to pull the carpet and bance plate out and put a new carpet belt in to see if that corrects it since the old one had a small hole starting in it anyway. I'm running a vantage bounce plate support bracket on that side. Was thinking of trying some of the vantage vibration dampeners on that side also maybe it will sit it down just a little bit more.
                              Live The Dream.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X