Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting lift spring tension

I have a lift on the floor right now, just installed a new belt and shock. The spring measures 4 5/8", so I was thinking I'd tighten it. Does this require a specialty tool? I don't have a set of spring compressors small enough to fit on here and then spin the retainer. How's it done? Thanks, guys!

Toby
    82-70B, Stepper chassis
    www.mooseexchange.org

you will need a wrench like this. It is called a spanner wrench and you can get it from AMF. I do not have the part number right now. My lifts work best between 4" and 4 1/8"
    Sometimes we have to do stuff to get by....Just go back and do it right when the "by" has passed!!

Comment

until you get one, you can also just use a pipe wrench, or if your really dedicated, Hammer and Screwdriver.

Comment

grainger also carries the spanner wrenches.
        When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

Spanner wrench =

Hammer and screwdriver will work but it's =

To make it easier, see if you can turn the adjusting nut down a little more with the belt off, that way when the belt is back on you won't have to adjust it as much to add tension to the spring. This of course can make it more difficult to get the belt back on though. If you have the black rubber belt it will be more difficult, but if you are lucky and happen to have the awesome grey belt on it, it will be way easy.

Comment

Yikes! I'll have to get one of those spanner wrenches. Always a pleasure to buy tools. For today I had to put the lift back in with the spring tension as-is, so hopefully it doesn't throw the belt this weekend. This lift was really giving me a lot of trouble. TJ, one of these days I'm gonna fix that jerky table! You'll be the first to know.

Thanks!
            Toby
            82-70B, Stepper chassis
            www.mooseexchange.org

Comment

Large channel-lock pliers works fine. Anything that can hook the knotch and turn the nut.

Comment

Put some 3 and 1 oil on the threads and let it sit for 5 min it will make them so easy to turn.

Comment

793511045 Wrench Spanner
                  Regards,

Billy T
                  bthompson@qubicaamf.us

Comment

Old School

4 1/2 collar to collar
                    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

Probably not a lot of help to you guys over there, but Bowling Vision in the UK produce an oversized nut to replace the retainer along with a spanner to tighten it. A lot easier to adjust than the original even with the belt and everything on. I'll see if I can dig a photo up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post

4 1/2 collar to collar
                        4" with PBL and Humpback

Comment

Originally posted by 8270king View Post
                          4" with PBL and Humpback
                          That's Odd, I have PBL's and No Humpty Dumpty's set at 4 and 1/2".

You should be able to run less spring tension. Tiz no wonder you wear them
                          camel humps off!
                          Last edited by felix; 05-26-2012, 10:51 AM.
                          If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

I measure the spring using the cup gauge. Three guesses how long that is and the first two dont count

Comment

4&1/4

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X