Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is weirdest, strangest, toughest repair you ever made on a 70?

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is weirdest, strangest, toughest repair you ever made on a 70?

    I haven't been on here in almost a decade, but see some familiar names from years ago. So, since I stopped by for a bit, I thought I might as well make a post.

    I did 20 grueling years on 70SS machines and saw my share of weirdness on the machines.

    Feel free to reply back to me as you read this and after a few days, I'll dug this thread up and post about some weird, strange things that have happened to me while working on these machines.

    Hope all of you have had a blast in the last 10 years. I had to walk away to regain my sanity.

    Cheers, AMFPro

    This pertains to 70SS only and the mods can move this thread if I posted it in the wrong board

  • #2
    Somebody else who rebuilt a distributor, did a lot things wrong like stop blade on the wrong side of the trip stop rod the person who did it used a lot of whashers in the distributor to make it work. also the concentric and eccentric bearing in the wrong places. Man was busy for 2 hours to build it back to original.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sweep links (I don't know how) put together totally wrong

      One table, two different supports

      Shelf brackets to secure bin stringers

      Extension cord tied to hold up broken cushion

      Bypassed interlock circuit

      Antiseize in the distributor clutch

      "One way" table yokes put together and installed upside down

      Frankenstein distributor belt

      10 years? Wow. Nice to see you back.

      Comment


      • #4
        I had a pinny a few years back put half a tube of silicone on top of a respot cell assembly and write a note, "Sorry for the quick fix".........he didn't last long. Changing the entire cell is a quick fix, spending an hour scraping off silicone, is not.
        Change the chassis, is not the answer.

        Comment


        • #5
          We have a sign posted above the workbench that reads "If you dont have time to do it right- when will you have time to do it over?" I amended it and added "After league is over"

          Comment


          • #6
            Stringers held together with duct tape, wire ties and bolted on scrap metal. Chassis' wired to work on one machine only (the "spares" were at the healing wall). Pin decks that I had to repair with ball plug. Plastic flat gutters on one pair where lights were going to be installed. Nice idea, but they broke up pretty bad. Early sweep on all machines, triac helped me with this one. Bottom shaft of ball lift so worn it was almost cut in two. Lane machine had the same wick set for over 4 years. .....

            There was also a sign above that bench that read NO BEER!
            Necessity IS NOT the mother of invention. Laziness IS the mother of invention.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gym View Post
              Stringers held together with duct tape, wire ties and bolted on scrap metal. Chassis' wired to work on one machine only (the "spares" were at the healing wall). Pin decks that I had to repair with ball plug. Plastic flat gutters on one pair where lights were going to be installed. Nice idea, but they broke up pretty bad. Early sweep on all machines, triac helped me with this one. Bottom shaft of ball lift so worn it was almost cut in two. Lane machine had the same wick set for over 4 years. .....

              There was also a sign above that bench that read NO BEER!

              I have a machine that I haven't gone over the electrical yet. I was going to swap its chassis with the neighbor to diagnose an issue when I realized that someone had hard-wired half a dozen wires directly from inside the chassis over the top and into the machine with wire nuts bypassing the c plugs.
              Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pietenpol View Post
                I have a machine that I haven't gone over the electrical yet. I was going to swap its chassis with the neighbor to diagnose an issue when I realized that someone had hard-wired half a dozen wires directly from inside the chassis over the top and into the machine with wire nuts bypassing the c plugs.
                Man that is so f'n familiar. These were a mix of wire nuts and tape. Pie how do we keep finding these places, or are they reaching out to us?
                Necessity IS NOT the mother of invention. Laziness IS the mother of invention.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The spring assy. came apart under the spot solenoid during a league on night

                  I repaired it with some needle nose vise grips clamped on the 3 links through the spring...it ran like that for a couple days

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    sounds like my center. Bins were repaired with scrape of metal bolted, 80 percent of the motors and gearbox still running 50 hz. ball lift and cushions looks like they got it out of the swamp. (lots of rust.). all gearboxes leaking oil badly, table yoike have at least two or three welds to it. lane 23 and 24 stripped for parts. wood gutter duck tape and painted over. dont even walk on the capping might fall through. table dropping pins, distributor with lots of swing. When i removed the bounce board many had at least 3 to 4 washer on the support brackets. carpets ripped. curtain looks like swiss chesse. Back of the center looks like a hoarder live here.
                    amf 82-70
                    B2000
                    quibca

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Does stupid count? If so here goes.....I replaced the table yoke leg because the spring holder ripped out. Are you ready for this? This is so embarrasing. From the top of the machine, thru the bin and shuttle assy. It was a full house, and I did not trust those guys. The only time I went up front was to put the spring back in. And that was after they were done on the pair next to me. It was back up and running before I went home.
                      Necessity IS NOT the mother of invention. Laziness IS the mother of invention.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gym View Post
                        Does stupid count? If so here goes.....I replaced the table yoke leg because the spring holder ripped out. Are you ready for this? This is so embarrasing. From the top of the machine, thru the bin and shuttle assy. It was a full house, and I did not trust those guys. The only time I went up front was to put the spring back in. And that was after they were done on the pair next to me. It was back up and running before I went home.
                        I've had a call from the desk guy that went along those lines. I was working on the front of a machine with not quite a full house. The desk guy calls the back and says he's moving the bowlers to another lane so I don't have to fix that machine right now, because the guys on the next lane are "pretty drunk" and he was concerned for my safety.
                        9th Amendment!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pitman2 View Post
                          I've had a call from the desk guy that went along those lines. I was working on the front of a machine with not quite a full house. The desk guy calls the back and says he's moving the bowlers to another lane so I don't have to fix that machine right now, because the guys on the next lane are "pretty drunk" and he was concerned for my safety.
                          Kudos to your desk guy!
                          Necessity IS NOT the mother of invention. Laziness IS the mother of invention.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ^Pretty drunk, and they were still allowed to hurl heavy objects around?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dothan View Post
                              sounds like my center. Bins were repaired with scrape of metal bolted, 80 percent of the motors and gearbox still running 50 hz. ball lift and cushions looks like they got it out of the swamp. (lots of rust.). all gearboxes leaking oil badly, table yoike have at least two or three welds to it. lane 23 and 24 stripped for parts. wood gutter duck tape and painted over. dont even walk on the capping might fall through. table dropping pins, distributor with lots of swing. When i removed the bounce board many had at least 3 to 4 washer on the support brackets. carpets ripped. curtain looks like swiss chesse. Back of the center looks like a hoarder live here.
                              Other than that it does'nt sound bad. LOL

                              Comment

                              Topic Starter RibbonScript

                              Collapse

                              Adsense Classic 2

                              Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                               

                              Well this is a first.

                              We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...
                               

                              Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

                              Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...
                               

                              Even old mechanics find something new.

                              All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...
                               

                              82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

                              We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...
                               

                              Prolane damage

                              Can this be repaired?
                               

                              LED Ball Lights

                              Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X