Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things Qubicaamf's head engineer should fix for bowltech!

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things Qubicaamf's head engineer should fix for bowltech!

As a former AMF field service tech. I was reading another post and ran across a statement by a current Qubicaamf employee (that I have much respect for because I know first hand the rock and a hard place hes in. always trying to give helpful advice to improve the product only to have it ignored and the CO. publicly stating they value our input) that being said the statement was AMF values our opinions & concerns.
    Hoping that is now true and bowltech has made qubicaamf turn over a new leaf I thought it would be fun for us to help them get off on the right foot and put the old ways in the past. So why not list our opinions and concerns to see if the new bowltechAMF cares!

1. Start simple shuttle screws. STOP USING CAP HEAD ALLEN SCREWS! A stranded 1/4 inch bolt will do nicely. (I promise we will not mind a few extra nicks in pins if they caused any at all) ok that was to easy lol

2. STOP computerizing the pinspotter!!!!!! The 90xl was the best pinspotter produced to date!

3. If amf must add all the bells and whistles then at least give the customer the option of different new models. You know like the car dealers do! dont make a one size fits all pinspotter give us options!
    Ask if we want the motors that have no cam switches and brakes Or !!!!!!! the tried and true motors of old that have cams and no pass through sensors or brakes. (you know what chassis do you want what motor what pin wheel what table what bin GET IT.

4. Bring back the original table! The stainless steel table ??? please mark that down as the big blunder of all time. (fix or replace the aluminum table mold no matter the cost!

Here is my dream pinspotter

Start with a 90xl (with cams) put on national motors (with the B.E. head turned under the wire way of course)
    Then I may add the one piece bin assy and I love everything i know so far about the edge pin elevator assy but one thing that started on the xlis. Guys remember most of us are not getting skinner! lol the center cross support in the pinwheel has to go. A huge advantage that AMF has had over brunswick was most every thing on AMF was easily able to be worked on and reached (quit closing in the pinspotter)

Thats a small start I am interested to hear other expert opinions.

After all we are the ones that have to repair them and fix AMFs mistakes once they leave VA.

Im big on using AMF parts for everything but there are some things I simply wont buy AMF... as much as id like to

Put a spot weld on the small stud on the respot cell frames. the failure rate for those things is extremely high. And im NOT going to spend extra money to purchase the repair kit. Simply put... I refuse to buy AMF respot cell frames. Also consider a way to beef up the threads for mounting the frame. They strip out too easily. Make those changes and Id start buying them again. Id even be willing to spend an extra buck or two for it.

Make a thicker more durable curtain

6 hole cushon facing. If AMF made it, id buy it from them.

for those of us who still have kickers, a better opton for rail covers in the ball return than the black rubber. cant have those all the way up or you will get yo yos. as of right now i have a bunch of gum rubber ones that work great for the lower half. Make your gripper rail covers for kicker returns. Id give them a shot

Im sure i could think of more but thats a good start i think
    Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

Comment

Here in Australia it would just be nice to have parts in stock, instead we have to wait for a slow boat taking a world tour.
      SMILE! TOMORROW'S GOING TO BE WORSE

Comment

I have to counter with a couple of observations....

The new machine is fantastic. Everything must evolve to be improved. The 30 evolved into the 70 then the 90 then the XLi. Changes have been made to the design to make it better and while I don't personally work on them I firmly believe the newest machine is the best they have ever produced. You don't want computerized control or optical motors? No problem.. find yourself some good used 70 machines and you will be very happy and they have aluminum tables too. As far as the respot cell frames, I have over 500 of them in constant use and rarely do the pivot stud welds ever fail and yes, these are AMF. And the frames stripping where the screws go, I agree that happens easily but all you have to do is a simple, effortless, and cheap fix that works really well... its called put a nut on it.

Comment

I too have lost a number of the studs on the cell frames over the last few years. With my budget being cut I had to come up with some kinda idea to fix these frames. The end result was to get rid of all the studs and replace trhem with 1/4-20 button head screws and secure them with stover nuts. Have all my cells set up this way and they all ran fine last season. I have pics of the setup and if you look around the original pics still might be out there. If not let me know and I'll try and get them up. As for the advancements that AMF has made to the machine, there nice, but I thought that WE are the ones mataining the machine. A lot of the electrical stuff is no longer repairable by the in house mech. It must be sent back to AMF who charges some outragious price to fix it. And when you get it back good luck if it even works. They should have tried to fix the known problems, such as pin handling and distribution, and not re invent the machine. For me I'll stay with my MP's with 9860 boards, West, coasting and leaking, motors, aluminum tables, and the various mods that have come down over the years. At least they do run. Not to say that I would not like new machines, but if properly taken care of, any machine will work good. My budget so far this year, ends Aug. 31, $3500.
          Last edited by AMFDOCTOR; 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM.
          AMF DOCTOR
          The doctor makes house calls.
          http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

As I stated in another thread... #1- NO PLASTIC SWEEP LINKS!!

IMAG0562.jpg

This is a part of the machine WE KNOW will get hit, and hit HARD! I've spend a few years on 70s, and can't remember changing (or needing to stock) many sweep links. Never had the pleasure to work with the plastic links. I AM NOT thrilled with them!!

Originally posted by BillyT4QAMF
            As long as people still buy them, we'll keep selling them.
            So if we stop buying them.....
            Sometimes... QAMF needs to save us from our own stupidity!!!

__________________________________________________ ___________

#2- Single chassis for a pair of lanes is,... SCARY AS HELL!!!! If a chassis goes belly-up, now I have a pair down. My current spare need repair. I have a spare pair of lanes tonight, but come fall, I won't have that luxury.

And, the XL chassis is short a few buttons! Are extra buttons REALLY that expensive?
            Sweeping pins to do the lanes is a pain in the arse!

__________________________________________________ _

#3- Let's be working on spotting pins from the desk PC, like the GS does. I have solved most of the issues in my mind's eye... if anyone at the big Q is interested (Pat C. never calls me ). Could even be retro'ed to an older 70. A few details to work out yet, but I believe I'm headed in the right direction.

__________________________________________________ ___

I still love the AMF Pinspotter....

PinCup
            We leave our greatest mark on this earth with the quality of our craftsmanship.

Comment

I haven't seen in person or worked on any machines but 70s and I'm pretty sure because of safety they couldnt even "rerelease" one now as they were originally.
              When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by PinCup View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2704[/ATTACH]

This is a part of the machine WE KNOW will get hit, and hit HARD! I've spend a few years on 70s, and can't remember changing (or needing to stock) many sweep links. Never had the pleasure to work with the plastic links. I AM NOT thrilled with them!!

#2- Single chassis for a pair of lanes is,... SCARY AS HELL!!!! If a chassis goes belly-up, now I have a pair down. My current spare need repair. I have a spare pair of lanes tonight, but come fall, I won't have that luxury.

And, the XL chassis is short a few buttons! Are extra buttons REALLY that expensive?

#3- Let's be working on spotting pins from the desk PC, like the GS does. I have solved most of the issues in my mind's eye... if anyone at the big Q is interested (Pat C. never calls me ). Could even be retro'ed to an older 70. A few details to work out yet, but I believe I'm headed in the right direction.

PinCup
                I'd like to see QAMF add a stationary sweep guard (as seen in the video of the original suction cup machine and in an old brunswick machine video) that will take the impact and save the moving sweep parts.

I've but a lot of thought into how to spot pins from the front too. The GSX uses table wiring, and i doubt QAMF would add that back, and my idea adds more computerization. While not a con overall, it does add more failure points. People complain about that in cars today too, but thats the price of progress i suppose.
                In search of the C2B plug

Comment

Remote Pin Setting

My Pin-Select System design is nearly complete. It will work on all post-82/30 AMF machines. Just need some $$$ to construct the working prototype.

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
                    As far as the respot cell frames, I have over 500 of them in constant use and rarely do the pivot stud welds ever fail and yes, these are AMF. And the frames stripping where the screws go, I agree that happens easily but all you have to do is a simple, effortless, and cheap fix that works really well... its called put a nut on it.
                    Im not sure what frames you are getting but when I order frames from AMF there is no weld whatsoever on the stud. its just very lightly pressed in. and id say of all the frames ive ordered, the failure rate for that stud is probably around 50%. A small tack weld is all it needs and it will solve the problem. Im just saying rather than offer a repair kit, put a tack weld on it and be done with it. I keep a good stockpile of nuts for the frames as well just for those threads stripping.

the original post here was asking for us to list our opinions and concerns so I did. If AMF wants me to buy their frames again... they gotta improve em because there are better options out there
                    Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter185 View Post
                      The GSX uses table wiring, and i doubt QAMF would add that back,

My idea has NO table wires. It's based on stopping pins from shuttling, and using the old 8270A style dist to refill the bin with a mag clutch to stop the pinwheel when needed. There is some computerization that would need to be hammered out, but that's something Andrew could kick out in a week I'd bet. Pie could have the "stop shuttle" engineering done in a shake too. BT is loaded with brilliant minds, QAMF would be wise to listen more to BillyT about what we're yackin' about. We work on these things every day!!!

PinCup
                      We leave our greatest mark on this earth with the quality of our craftsmanship.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2704[/ATTACH]

PinCup
                        I have to agree about the plastic sweep links but Billy is right, if people want to buy them why not continue selling them.

Single chassis for a pair. True if it dies the pair goes down but if you have a scoring CPU go down what happens.... the pair goes down. What's the difference/might as well be the same/ I don't know - whatever. I guess I'm on the fence about this because I really like and am used to a chassis per machine but I can see the advantage of one chassis for a pair.

Remotely respotting pins. Good idea and with all the safety stuff going on now implementing this could improve safety as you would not even need to get near the machine to respot a spare and there in no inconvenience due to LOTO because there is none.

Originally posted by Scooter185 View Post
                        I'd like to see QAMF add a stationary sweep guard (as seen in the video of the original suction cup machine and in an old brunswick machine video) that will take the impact and save the moving sweep parts.
                        I absolutely love this idea and always wondered why it went away with the 30 that could easily get jack-knifed off the tracks or thrown like a javelin through the curtain. If this was done right it could potentially save many, many sweep parts and hopefully prevent balls from bouncing off the sweep and smashing out the fluorescent pit lights- again safety issue there. Those things contain a small amount of mercury so you could almost consider that as a hazard to clean up. If they didn't get smashed there would be no exposed mercury.

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
                          Single chassis for a pair. True if it dies the pair goes down but if you have a scoring CPU go down what happens.... the pair goes down. What's the difference/might as well be the same/ I don't know - whatever. I guess I'm on the fence about this because I really like and am used to a chassis per machine but I can see the advantage of one chassis for a pair.
                          A scoring CPU does not switch high voltage and high amperage motors as a machine chassis would. I would never want machines with 1 controller for the pair. Personally, I would like to see a better designed sweep/rake system than what's in place now.
                          "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

My idea has NO table wires. It's based on stopping pins from shuttling, and using the old 8270A style dist to refill the bin with a mag clutch to stop the pinwheel when needed. There is some computerization that would need to be hammered out, but that's something Andrew could kick out in a week I'd bet. Pie could have the "stop shuttle" engineering done in a shake too. BT is loaded with brilliant minds, QAMF would be wise to listen more to BillyT about what we're yackin' about. We work on these things every day!!!

PinCup
                            I had a few different ideas of how to do it. Thought about eliminating the wire channels connecting the cells and having each one controlled by a solenoid. That would mean extra cycling and extra components to go bad tho. I think the most promising idea so far is to attach the dizzy head to an x-y carriage similar to the old plotters. Computer controls the carriage and BE motor. The dizzy could set any pins you wanted. No swing, no clutch, no trip arms even...just an optical sensor when a pin goes off the end or a counter akin to the 30's.
                            Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

4. Bring back the original table! The stainless steel table ??? please mark that down as the big blunder of all time. (fix or replace the aluminum table mold no matter the cost!

Just curious, I am a pin chaser for the AMF 82-70's, and I saw the new table on videos, why is the steel table worse than the aluminum one? (We have the older aluminum tables)
                              --- SteveJT66

82/70's,kickers,Kegel Kustodian

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X