Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shuttle rod assembly

So lately I've been going through and replacing my shuttle rod springs with brand new ones. But this month through some mix up/confusion I ended up with a couple brand new complete shuttle rod assemblies instead of just the spring. Rather than send it back I figured I would just use them. This new spring is HUGE! So much so that I had to slide the mount/lever on the shaft to allow for clearance between the spring and front end frame. Not such a big deal except for the bracket only being about half on its key now. I wonder why AMF decided to beef up this spring.

Last edited by slb785; 06-28-2012, 05:58 PM.
    Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

It was discussed that the spring was changed because the original spring would actually end up changing length and/or lose some of its strength- if I remember right. I was not expecting it to be this big though, wow that sure is different.

It's funny, I never have shuttle spring problems or even shuttle problems and I'll bet I have some that are the defective ones too. Hey, as long as they still work.

Comment

I have posted this quite a few times already (probably will again soon as well). The original spring had a tendency to 'take a set' when it was compressed to 'solid height'. Solid height is the point when it is compressed all the way so each coil comes in contact with the one next it it. This spring will not take a set.

You may think you're not having problems with your connecting rods, but if the spring has compressed all the way at any time, it probably has taken a set. The issues this problem causes are somewhat obscure, but reset assured, they are problems you want to avoid! Pins shuttling poorly getting jammed in the yoke while spotting is but one potential problem that comes to mind.

Any spring less than 6" (when removed) has taken a set and should be replaced.
      Regards,

Billy T
      bthompson@qubicaamf.us

Comment

That's why I have replaced almost 20 of them already. Good to know this new spring wont have that problem!

Is the old spring still available to order? Id still rather buy 20 more $5 springs than 20 $30 complete assemblies

And tablejam. I was having shuttle problems on a bunch of lanes, rebuilt everything, distributor, bin, and shuttle assembly. I even changed out the shuttle rod with one I rebuilt. Only thing I never changed was the spring. Still had random problems. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me until I was told about changing the spring. Started replacing them and my shuttle issues have started to go away. I guess I learned that just because a spring isn't broken doesn't mean its still good
        Last edited by slb785; 06-29-2012, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyT4QAMF View Post
          Any spring less than 6" (when removed) has taken a set and should be replaced.

Could you please post part numbers for the replacement parts? Thanks in advance.
          I can't even spell Brunsw-ick anymore!!!

Comment

Certainly!
            088 001 629 Spring washer stepped
            088 001 630 Spring washer through
            088 001 632 Spring
            Regards,

Billy T
            bthompson@qubicaamf.us

Comment

Thank you kindly. This explains the odd probs we are having with shutteling.
              Necessity IS NOT the mother of invention. Laziness IS the mother of invention.

Comment

One way you can check your spring is by pushing your shuttle in while it has 10 pins in the bin. It should spring back all the way by itself. a weak spring will not put the shuttle back to its rear position with 10 pins on it. thanks to gaddy for that tip

Billy. are those 3 part numbers the only required parts to upgrade from a small spring to a large one?

Comment

Originally posted by slb785 View Post
                  One way you can check your spring is by pushing your shuttle in while it has 10 pins in the bin. It should spring back all the way by itself. a weak spring will not put the shuttle back to its rear position with 10 pins on it. thanks to gaddy for that tip
                  After about 5 or 6 pins and every pin after I can watch most of my shuttles open a little farther and farther. I guess that I have some weak springs to take care of here
                  70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
                  Prolane Walker sport

Comment

I never worried about the shuttle spring rod assy - should be a solid rod in my opinion!! - if it wasn't accuating far enough forward - add a kicker spring to the big spring under the 5 bin or adjust it like a sweep or table tie rod!!
                    - problem solved!!

I get a little miffed on stuff like this since it is so minor - after 20 years on these machines - this would be problem 90 out of 100!!

Comment

Originally posted by AmfPro View Post
                      I never worried about the shuttle spring rod assy - should be a solid rod in my opinion!! - if it wasn't accuating far enough forward - add a kicker spring to the big spring under the 5 bin or adjust it like a sweep or table tie rod!!
                      - problem solved!!

I get a little miffed on stuff like this since it is so minor - after 20 years on these machines - this would be problem 90 out of 100!!
                      A solid shuttle rod would probably not be a very good thing to have. If for some reason the shuttle jams open when it shuttles the table gearbox/shuttle cam will TRY to close it. With a solid rod there you can imagine the carnage.

This is a minor thing but can cause MAJOR damage- I don't know about you but I do NOT want to be changing any table yokes anytime soon, done enough of them thanks!

Comment

If you have never replaced your springs (cost less than $5/lane) you might not realize how much it can help. A lot of my intermittent problems I couldn't figure out have been going away since I started replacing them. And I agree with tablejam. If that rod was solid and the shuttle jammed... snap! Somethings gotta give
                        Last edited by slb785; 06-30-2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

If you have never replaced your springs (cost less than $5/lane) you might not realize how much it can help. A lot of my intermittent problems I couldn't figure out have been going away since I started replacing them. And I agree with tablejam. If that rod was solid and the shuttle jammed... snap! Somethings gotta give
                          Yeah SOMETHING will give, but you and I both don't want to find out what!

Comment

Billy. are those 3 part numbers the only required parts to upgrade from a small spring to a large one?
                            I would not test the spring this way. You are çompressing the spring to solid height-not good!

Yes, those 3 parts are what you need to convert
                            Regards,

Billy T
                            bthompson@qubicaamf.us

Comment

I guess i should of mentioned not to push it all the way in now that i know that bit of info. But you could just give the shuttle a nudge and it should spring back

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X