Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pair of lanes shut off at the same time, will not come back on

Hoping for some ideas of what I have not thought of. Pair of lanes was bowling and both shut off at the same time, ruled out some of the obvious. Breakers are on and not tripped (power to them is good). Power to russellstoll plug is good, swapped chassis with another lane just to make sure 2 chassis didnt fail at the same time (not likely) Power going into C1 is there but can not get table or sweep to run by pushing down contactors (either lane) Strange part here, used a power tester pen and there appears to be constant power on both sweep/table plugs also pindeck light plug (but none of those run or light) which should not be unless contactor is engaged. Keep in mind this is a pair of lanes that have the same problem and can not turn them on from the rear control switch either.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Do you have a multimeter? Check and see that youre getting 110vac at your RS plug. if the motors wont run by pushing the contators thats a good sign that there is no power going to the machine.

I would suspect your scoring system of possibly doing this. Thats the only thing I can think of that has control of both machines on a pair. Anything else would only cause a problem on a single lane
    Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

Comment

Originally posted by RickK View Post
      Hoping for some ideas of what I have not thought of. Pair of lanes was bowling and both shut off at the same time, ruled out some of the obvious. Breakers are on and not tripped (power to them is good). Power to russellstoll plug is good, swapped chassis with another lane just to make sure 2 chassis didnt fail at the same time (not likely) Power going into C1 is there but can not get table or sweep to run by pushing down contactors (either lane) Strange part here, used a power tester pen and there appears to be constant power on both sweep/table plugs also pindeck light plug (but none of those run or light) which should not be unless contactor is engaged. Keep in mind this is a pair of lanes that have the same problem and can not turn them on from the rear control switch either.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
      Sound like someone shut off the masking unit switches.
      If it cant be fixed with a hammer, use a bowling pin.

Comment

Scoring and the mask switches are low volt. If he is for sure engaging the contators the motors should run. I agree if both quit during bowling the scoring sounds like the problem.

Comment

110v at RS plug, sorry, should have said that rather then just that the power was good. Do the machines share a common ground that would break the circuit which would still read 110v coming in? With the same problem happening to a pair of lanes at the same time I would have to think it has to be 1 that the share in common so that the electical circuit is not complete. Thought of the mask switches right away, but I do know that no one was near them anyway.

As far as the scoring goes though, wouldnt pushing the contactors run the motors regardless? On a good lane I removed the mask plug from the chassis and it engages the motors. Also, not sure if this helps at all, but used a meter (analog) on the motor plugs and it does appear to have some low voltage in them that a pen picks up (not sure how much voltage is need to light up 1 of those magnetic field pens) but even though the machine are off, the cords to the motors have a reading??
          Last edited by RickK; 06-29-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Rick, can you plug something in the r/s cord. (like a drill) confirm 120v operating power. That way the path of power problem can be determined one way or the other.

Comment

Thanks Rivmike, should have thought of that right off the bat since I had a feeling there was an open circuit somewhere, no plugin tools (everything is battery powered, lol) used a floor fan and neither lane will power the fan using the RS plug so that break has to be somewhere between then breaker panel and the RS plug.

Comment

How many lanes? May have lost 1 leg of 3 phase but it should cause more issues.

Comment

I would maybe check the nuetral that is at the junction box where R/S is wired into. I had same problem a few years ago and locaated the wire nuts of the nuetral was scorched.

Comment

I dont know how old your center is but in my place we have the original pushmatic circuit breakers all over the building. Ive had 5 of them fail in the building in the past 2 years. 2 machine breakers, 2 lane light breakers, and one ball return breaker. They still seem to work as they should, clicking when you push them and indicating on or off on it, but internally it does not complete the circuit anymore. I would try swapping the curcuit breaker with a working lanes breaker and see if it fixes your problem. Just make sure you shut of the power to the panel before you go opening it up and moving breakers.

Comment

If there is 110VAC going into the chassis the motors will run if manually engaged whether the machine is 'on' or not and even if the mask switch is off.

This does seem more like a breaker or neural in the circuit issue.

Comment

The curveball here is it is 2 lanes and not just one because the machines each should have their own breaker. Do these machines each have their own breaker?
                        70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
                        Prolane Walker sport

Comment

I literally just ran into this poopstorm today. due to the storming here we lost 1 leg of 3 phase. 5&6, 11&12, 17&18, 25&26, 31&32, 37&38 out of 40 lanes were down. I have no idea why but the power coming in was screwed up in pairs and not all the "right" or "left" side of the breaker box. though we did have crazy/random pinsetter performance on the pairs. I'd get a real meter and take a reading at your R/S plugs if it isnt getting enough juice it won't run correctly.
                          When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

We lost a leg once at my old center. Not fun. I had to go through every lane and figure out what did and didnt work so we could still put bowlers out. a bunch of lanes we had people score by hand, some lanes we could turn on but the ball returns didnt come on, some lanes the scoring would come up but the machine wouldnt. All kinds of goofy problems. The worst part were only having 1/2 of the lights working in the back end with NO lights working in the shop. Kinda makes you wonder why they wired things up that way. So random

Comment

I know squat about 3 phase but with regular 230V the centerbar in the breaker box skips side to side to the left and right breakers so that when you snap in a 230v breaker you are getting a leg of this and a leg of that,2 different 115v. So if one is out you can see why different things in your house wont work or worse yet only at half power.
                              70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
                              Prolane Walker sport

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X