Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Box Oil

I seen a post on here before what can you use for a gearbox oil I forgot the wt. which someone said they use.

Thanks

For my old 70's I used to have before going to XLi's, I used to use 85w-140 gear oil and found that was perfect, for an XL or XLi gearbox you need a thicker oil.
    AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

I have used 85-140 in the past and have recently starting to put in Mobil 1 300w gear oil. Just make sure it is gear oil and not motor oil they have different properties. Anything above the 85-140 mark should be fine as long as it is not so thick you have to wait an hour to pour it (so 300w and below) should be just fine and a well known brand.

Comment

I use 85w-140 but when its gone i will be switching to a heavier oil. The thinner oil has a tendency to leak when it comes to back end gearboxes
        Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

Comment

Originally posted by slb785 View Post
          I use 85w-140 but when its gone i will be switching to a heavier oil. The thinner oil has a tendency to leak when it comes to back end gearboxes
          Forgot to mention that...thanks...that is the reason I switched to the 300w gear oil. Since we are on the topic of gear boxes and oil and a seal is sometimes needed to be replaced in the process, what does everyone use? I use the permatex ultra black for the gasket on the flanges.

Comment

Currently im using the same stuff. I like it cause the tubes i buy have a handly little pump on it so im not stuck squeezing a tube. I wont use gaskets for anything more than a shim (if I dont have any shims)

Comment

Grainger part #'s for Mobile 600 use it here
              1MUC8- 1 gallon container
              4DNH4- 5 Gallon bucket
              If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

I use Lucas oil stabilizer
                amf 82-70
                B2000
                quibca

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                  Grainger part #'s for Mobile 600 use it here
                  1MUC8- 1 gallon container
                  4DNH4- 5 Gallon bucket
                  That's the stuff I use. Order up a pail pump-5XA53 for the 5 gallon bucket makes things so much easier too.

Comment

The last FM used 85 w-140 in all gear boxes front and back.
                    The fronts worked for a while but would leak and the oil turned black fast.
                    The rears were always hot, leaked, and the oil turned black faster than the fronts.
                    You see a pattern here? Now I use the mobile 600wt from Grainger.
                    No leaks, Cooler and quieter running motors.
                    I'll see you in the streets.

Comment

I JUST WENT TO GRAINGER USED PART NO. 1MUC8 FOR MOBIL 600 XP460 GEAR OIL IT WAS $71.10 A GAL.
                      I FOUND A PLACE ZORO TOOLS SAME MOBIL 600 XP460 IT WAS $26.08 A GAL. AND FREE SHIPPING FOR THE MONTH OF JULY "WOW" WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN PRICE
                      I MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING ZOROTOOLS.COM.

Comment

Just checked what I bought it was mobilgear 600 xp680 at $138.15 for 5 gal. Looks like you still got a better deal unless you had to pay shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
                          I JUST WENT TO GRAINGER USED PART NO. 1MUC8 FOR MOBIL 600 XP460 GEAR OIL IT WAS $71.10 A GAL.
                          I FOUND A PLACE ZORO TOOLS SAME MOBIL 600 XP460 IT WAS $26.08 A GAL. AND FREE SHIPPING FOR THE MONTH OF JULY "WOW" WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN PRICE
                          I MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING ZOROTOOLS.COM.
                          Sir, you don't have to shout...we are right here. Just playing :P

Grainger rarely has the best price but 9 outta 10 times they have what you need in stock or it will be in 3 days tops. They will ship anything to your local branch for you to try it before you buy it and I've never heard em say "I can't help you with that".

PS I buy the mobil 600 from Grainger.
                          When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

Well I just tried 85w-140 mixed 50/50 with lucas stabilizer in a back end gearbox. leaked at the input seal once the motor warmed up. Would the mobil 600 stop this or am i screwed and have to replace the input shaft along with the seal?

Comment

Originally posted by slb785 View Post
                              Well I just tried 85w-140 mixed 50/50 with lucas stabilizer in a back end gearbox. leaked at the input seal once the motor warmed up. Would the mobil 600 stop this or am i screwed and have to replace the input shaft along with the seal?
                              This is the motor input seal? Thicker oil could help but, I would replace that oil seal. If it leaked once it will leak again. You can get those seals from Stahl's Seventies I just ordered some of the distributor and carpet output shaft seals. They were under $5 a piece. Here is the part number 705-502-026 for the motor input shaft oil seal, or if you have a local bearing shop they can size it up and order it for you also. You can get a lot of parts from Stahl's for the National gear boxes I have found.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X