Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Snap Ring Gearbox

Has anyone had to deal with a broken snap ring inside a national gearbox? The ear of the snap ring is broken off. If so how did you get in off? I am afraid that I will be ending up buying a new shaft if I have to take a dremal tool to it. So I am looking for any other alternatives. Thanks in advance.

I had a similar thing happen once, I used the circlip pliers and forced the one remaining tab out of the groove slightly and then with a flat blade screwdriver kept prying it out took a while but finally got it...
    AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

I've used the handle end of a round file (plastic off leaves a pointy end) get it started and work it around with a screw driver.

Comment

I've literally jammed the snap ring pliers down the "crack" between where the tabs are supposed to be, with a persuader and just mauled/bent the old snap ring off...sure its rough on the tools but its small potatoes next to a unusable gearbox. and you better not leave a bad snap ring in there, I did that once and it worked its way off the shaft into the bearing (ruined), around the agitator gear (chipped tooth) and ruined the other brass gear on the pinwheel shaft in a national BE. plus the rest of the gearbox was being lubricated with shavings and chunks so uhhh really suggest you don't do that.
        When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

I hear you there on not leaving the broken snap ring. If it broke once it will break again if left and not replaced with a new one. I have been going through all my gearboxes and flushing them out because I had one get stopped up because of broken parts. Have found two sun gears that are chewed up because of broken bearings or snap rings. So I have a big task at had going through all 20 lanes worth of gear boxes to make sure that doesn't happen again. Or at least limit the chances hopefully. Sometimes you just can't catch a bad bearing going in a gearbox.

Comment

Got it off finally, used a small screwdriver and got part of the lip up and out after a little more persuasion and some vise grip I got it off. Thanks!

Comment

SMILE! TOMORROW'S GOING TO BE WORSE

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
              Working...
              X