X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor spring mod

No more swaying!

swaying mod.jpg

interesting mod increased tension on both sides (wonder if clutch has to work harder now) always thought just increasing tension on the right hand spring (or replacing with a new spring ) fixes swaying from #3 to #2 bins

Comment

Often find, sway from the 3-2 pin is over tensioned clutch spring... and occasionally the support tube the dizzy casting slides over has not been secured with Loc-Tite... so it rotates with the casting and can jam at certain spots..

But cool mod Dave, I reckon that is BETTER than cable ties on the springs, your way at least doesn't ruin the springs...
      AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Yeah it is better than the ball return spring wrapped around the thing as I have saw on a few machines. Interesting comment Pin Head... I assume you are talking about that bar that falls out of the bottom of the dizzy accasionaly when I take one off?? If so, they are better secured with loc tite, no ****? Let me know if I am on the same page with you as I will have to try that! Thanks

Dave

Comment

I just got my mouth washed with soap by bowltech! LOL.. Sorry bowltech, I will watch my cursing!

Comment

Originally posted by davesproshop View Post
            Yeah it is better than the ball return spring wrapped around the thing as I have saw on a few machines. Interesting comment Pin Head... I assume you are talking about that bar that falls out of the bottom of the dizzy accasionaly when I take one off?? If so, they are better secured with loc tite, no ****? Let me know if I am on the same page with you as I will have to try that! Thanks

Dave
            That's the one mate, yeah that post is NOT meant to come out when you lift the dizzy up... as I am at home now, I can't recall exactly what number Loc-Tite to use but the manual shows which one.... But yeah Dave once you have the posts secured it will really make a difference, as the dizzy will now rotate on the support shaft instead of the shaft rotating in the housing.
            AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pin_Head View Post
              That's the one mate, yeah that post is NOT meant to come out when you lift the dizzy up... as I am at home now, I can't recall exactly what number Loc-Tite to use but the manual shows which one.... But yeah Dave once you have the posts secured it will really make a difference, as the dizzy will now rotate on the support shaft instead of the shaft rotating in the housing.
              Interesting that you guys bring up sloppy distributor support posts.

A while ago, I had been having trouble with a few distributors because the posts and the tube they sit in were worn out, very old. This made the distributor sort of bounce up and down and made it move in a sloppy way, causing problems. Since I could not throw away the supports and posts and put in new ones and since I don't like the idea of just using locktite on them, I came up with a mod from a part from the 82/70 A/B machines.

My machines are mostly C machines in the main center with some backends from what I believe to be B machines. The A and B machines had a different type of distributor support, and if you ask me, because of this one part of it, a better one. The A and B distributor support is a casting with a tube that bolts to the cross beam, not a peice of curved steel. Now for the real interesting part, the part that gave me the idea, the support post does not just sit in the support, it is SECURED with a .... wait for it..... wait for it..... CLAMP STUD! Yep, a big honkin clamp stud keeps the support post in place, as seen below...

So back to my problem posts. The sloppy posts were the ones of the newer curved metal support type, my machines have a mix of both. So I figured there was a way to secure the post in place like the old style supports, and there is. All you have to do is on the front of the tube the post sits in, low enough to clear the distributor and exactly centered, drill a hole (with the post removed) and tap it. Then install a short bolt with the post back in and what do you have? A distributor support post that WILL NOT EVER MOVE and the added bonus is if for some reason you ever need to take it out, just loosen the bolt!

Here are a couple of pics to show this...

Now I know the distributor support on a 90+ is different but it does have basically the same tube and post and I believe this mod can be added to it as well.

Comment

Nice work on fixing the supportTJ - and the spring mod looks awesome too!

Comment

Saved a lot of money too and why junk this stuff when it is still basically perfectly good.

Comment

SWWWEEEETTTT! I like it! I really want to say a cuss word right now!

Comment

You need some more grease on that post tablejam jk.

That's a cool idea though with a bolt. If I had the newer supports and found that a loose post was a problem I would be doing that to all of them. But all of my distributor supports are the older kind
                      Giving bowlers less to complain about, one lane at a time

Comment

Originally posted by davesproshop View Post
                        SWWWEEEETTTT! I like it! I really want to say a cuss word right now!
                        You can do that Dave... but you gotta use the right symbol! (type in 'curse' with a : on each end)
                        We'll get the idea.

Nice mods guys.

PinCup

TJ, I think your dizzy post need more grease!
                        Last edited by PinCup; 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM. Reason: grease
                        We leave our greatest mark on this earth with the quality of our craftsmanship.

Comment

It doesn't have enough grease, actually, that's better than not having any grease.

Last edited by PinCup; Today at 10:43 AM. Reason: grease
                          LOL.... WTF?
                          Last edited by Tablejam; 07-15-2012, 04:24 PM. Reason: WTF?

Comment

I dont use grease on the post, but gear oil. Works great and doesnt gum up.
                            If it cant be fixed with a hammer, use a bowling pin.

Comment

Couple other mods to help with the sway are to zip tie part of the spring coils to make it tighter and use a spring on the "left to right" arm up to one of the O pan bolts.
                              When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X