Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor is waaay to stiff when retracting

Seriously I don't know how this one got a hold of the blue pills but they are doing a number on it. This isn't at my center, but it had me going crazy trying to figure out. Left to right is fine, its the retracting and forward travel that is super stiff. here's what I checked so far:

* The eccentric rollers are not stuck/too tight because they are all set at "0/max distance away from the carriage"
    * The trip rocker weldment is not catching on the indexing cam, or anything else
    * the cam and pinion are not out of time are not dragging or binding
    * the distributor belt has been centered and all carriage rollers are free spinning and clean. its a new belt
    *The "foward/reverse" aluminium arm is not tight at all and when disconnected from the trip rocker weldment is free and clear.

Here's the symtoms and concerns I noted:
    * old style pinion with the slotted bushing and the timing mark punched in. lots of grease between pinion and bushing
    * no problem retracting with driveshaft disconnected. What I mean is when you retract the carriage, the cam, pinion and everything spins...the belt doesn't "stay still" like it should
    *the carriage is rubbing the frame on the 7 pin side where the one ungrooved bearing is (how the hell does a carriage tube get too wide all of a sudden?)
    * The clutch plate is a little bent up
    * the trip rod (not a trip cable) starts to flex insanely when it gets "tight" on the way back, so bad that one of them had to be replaced...after i forced the carriage back...oops.
    When you know what to do, everything is easy.

The wire pin guides on the carriage aren't rubbing against the guide supports by any chance?? Have had that a few times on my dizzys
    AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Nope. and the carriage isn't hitting the belt runner or the stupid long like 4" bolt that goes through the guide supports either. everything seems free and clear until you put it all together it doesn't work.

Comment

Two possibilities for me are..is the new belt rubbing on the chin strap if not could you just try your old belt for chits and giggles to see if it goes away
        70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
        Prolane Walker sport

Comment

Cam follower frozen or real gummed up?

Comment

Originally posted by Grit View Post
            Seriously I don't know how this one got a hold of the blue pills but they are doing a number on it.
            I thought that was funny.

* The eccentric rollers are not stuck/too tight because they are all set at "0/max distance away from the carriage"
            Are any of the bearings bad- WD40 in them does wonders.

* the distributor belt has been centered and all carriage rollers are free spinning and clean. its a new belt
            This is interesting. Is the belt installed incorrectly around the belt guard instead of through it? I think Keeth was hitting at that one.

*the carriage is rubbing the frame on the 7 pin side where the one ungrooved bearing is (how the hell does a carriage tube get too wide all of a sudden?)
            * The clutch plate is a little bent up
            * the trip rod (not a trip cable) starts to flex insanely when it gets "tight" on the way back, so bad that one of them had to be replaced...after i forced the carriage back...oops.
            The clutch should not be bent at all. I have never seen a carriage tube rub the casting, that is an indication something bad is going on here, somehow it seems maybe the carriage is so bent or beat up it is now out of square, that is never good. I have trip RODS here but I have never seen one try to flex especially on the way back which suggests to me that as the carriage is trying to retract it is hitting something causing it to stop and causing the trip rod to flex. I know you said it is not binding on anything but then how is this happening?

Comment

If the white rollers are so loose the carriage can slop all around. (maybe why it's rubbing the casting) I've seen people trip or step on or even fall on and cause some funky things that don't fall under regular repair thoughts. Take the carriage out and roll the tubes on a flat surface (see if they are bent) and maybe in the rebuild you could stumble on to something.

Comment

^Step on the distributor....

Comment

I actually had a problem where i would adjust the eccentric rollers to where they should be and the carriage would not telascope so i took the carriage out and checked the tube it had a bad bend it i replaced it put it back in it ran like a dream
                  scottlachlan

Comment

Originally posted by keeth View Post
                    Two possibilities for me are..is the new belt rubbing on the chin strap if not could you just try your old belt for chits and giggles to see if it goes away
                    I only count 1 there Keeth. that was my first thought but "it was working fine before" before being a clutch rebuild and the distributor eccentric adjustment. I'll re up that into the suggestion box
                    Originally posted by BWC View Post
                    Cam follower frozen or real gummed up?
                    Nope checked em all and found them to be in working order. not the cam followers getting stuck in a shimmed out/warped indexing cam either its not a slight drag is a whole hand pull.
                    Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
                    Are any of the bearings bad- WD40 in them does wonders.
                    tried that and on the carriage rubbing the frame, still rough

The clutch should not be bent at all. I have never seen a carriage tube rub the casting, that is an indication something bad is going on here, somehow it seems maybe the carriage is so bent or beat up it is now out of square, that is never good. I have trip RODS here but I have never seen one try to flex especially on the way back which suggests to me that as the carriage is trying to retract it is hitting something causing it to stop and causing the trip rod to flex. I know you said it is not binding on anything but then how is this happening?
                    Exactly why i brought it here! Its ****ing illogical!

Comment

Is there a specific point where you feel/hear it start to bind? I would stay right at that point moving it back and forth while looking everywhere you can think of.
                      Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

^Step on the distributor....
                        Crudweiser=bud for the old timers

Comment

How about the cam rollers? Either stiff and not turning?
                          This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Are the carriage tubes bent?

Comment

perhaps the carriage tubes were bent. I spend about 4 hours taking it apart and checking all the bearings and everything I'd seen before.

The belt was tracking off the roller a bit and binding up on the comb looking bracket with the belt spring on it. aligned the big white rollers the belt runs over and it didn't have any effect.

Somewhere, there is a bind that is causing the trip ROD to flex...a lot. and I don't think its the carriage tube since both ends attach to the carriage

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X