Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlock from hell

Alright I'm having a problem on one of the lanes at my bowling alley. After someone throws their second ball and the sweep goes back to clear the pin deck and then as the sweep is coming back the tables comes down too. and its not suppose to come down so early. the sweep is suppose to be at the end and then the table suppose to set a new rack. it does this like 5 times a day and needs to be fixed but dont know where to look. is it the cam switches? motors? what can it be?
    The Fault Mechanic

sounds like sb cam switch is out of adjustment

Comment

Also could be the sweep motor occasionally wont start right so it's late. It may not be apparent when it starts to first guard, or lifting from 270. These motor starts arent important in timing.
      Inspect all the sockets in C1A, the sweep reverse switch wires in the BE box, and the connections within the motor. A bad connection can in these spots as well as a failing centrifigal switch can cause an occasional slow start.
      It's less likely the start cap in the wireway is bad, else the problem wouldn't be intermittant.
      If all electrical connections are fine, look at all the sweep components for something binding as it runs. But, this should be apparent with a visual inspection.
      This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        sounds like sb cam switch is out of adjustment
        This is the simple and most likely cause. SB determines sweep first guard and also when the table is to start to spot pins. If this is out if adjustment not only (normally) would sweep first guard be wrong but also the table may start to spot too soon or too late. Too soon and you end up with an interlock. It sounds like the adjustment is real close. You could try turning the adjustment screw out a quarter or half turn and see if the problem stops, this may also affect sweep first guard. If the problem goes away you can then go back and get the cams adjusted properly.

Comment

Tivoli55, My Q; Are there pins in the cups? If so then look into the SB cam as Tablejam said. If no pins then check your table cams, the table maybe over running 355. Or the table maybe coasting caused by the motor or table cams.
          richardcooley

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
            Also could be the sweep motor occasionally wont start right so it's late. It may not be apparent when it starts to first guard, or lifting from 270. These motor starts arent important in timing.
            Inspect all the sockets in C1A, the sweep reverse switch wires in the BE box, and the connections within the motor. A bad connection can in these spots as well as a failing centrifigal switch can cause an occasional slow start.
            It's less likely the start cap in the wireway is bad, else the problem wouldn't be intermittant.
            If all electrical connections are fine, look at all the sweep components for something binding as it runs. But, this should be apparent with a visual inspection.
            If it was the sweep motor occasionally stopping for a moment I would suspect this to show up on any cycle, not just when it is going to spot pins- unless it's a freak coincidence that every time this has happened it just happened to be when spotting pins.

Comment

cool rich. ya theres no pins in the cup. the table only comes down a little bit when they get stuck but still interlocks. it ssucks. thank you guys so much. i kinda though it was the cams.
              The Fault Mechanic

Comment

Check and make sure your cam clamp stud has not had the threads stripped. This could cause the cam switch to move on rotation.

Good luck
                Bicod

Comment

Tivoli, do you have a start switch on the table motor?

Comment

K Then do a complete Table Cam adjstment and inspect the levers for wear and lock nuts etc. After setting the table at 355, keep an eye on the table to see iff it jumps every now and then. If it does then the gearbox is too loose inside and will need replaced, good luck
                    richardcooley

Comment

Yeah when checking levers for wear, have a good long look at the roller at the top, I had a few several years ago that were playing up all hell turned out the roller on hmmm from memory TA1 was worn with a groove in the middle and the TA2 had like a dent in it....
                      AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Originally posted by tivoli55 View Post
                        cool rich. ya theres no pins in the cup. the table only comes down a little bit when they get stuck but still interlocks. it ssucks. thank you guys so much. i kinda though it was the cams.
                        That changes things right there. Too bad you can't snap a picture just after this has happened so we could see the position of the sweep crank arm and table drive, that would be very telling of exactly where in the cycle this is happening.

tivoli, I'm curious to know, you have 82/70 machines but which chassis are you using on them? And one more question... when the interlock happens is it on 1st ball with the sweep just starting to come forward and the table just starting to come down, like the sweep cleared the deck and was coming forward just as the table started to come down to pick up the pins? And finally, has the chassis from this lane been tried on another lane? If so did the problem stay or follow the chassis?

The bold/underlined text above is a clue to something that is common on the SS chassis and anyone who has had these will know what it is- that's why I would like to know which chassis you have as that could be it.

Comment

Just a thought but could the table motor be a 14.25 RPM one and the sweep motor be a 12.1 RPM one?

Comment

Originally posted by 8270tom View Post
                            Just a thought but could the table motor be a 14.25 RPM one and the sweep motor be a 12.1 RPM one?
                            Wouldn't that also want to interlock all the time, also a good sign of that one is does the sweep hit the head pin when picking the pins up on a respot cycle...
                            AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Fast sweep/ slow table..... OK

Fast table/slow sweep.....BAD!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X