Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diistributer drive shaft

i have a problem lane ...... it has an odd pile up every once in a while . then over the last couple of weeks the distributer drive shaft has just dropped off , about 4 times now.
    then tonight it did it again and the retainer broke this time .
    just wundering if this might be something to do with why it piles up ?

or does the pile up make the drive shaft fall off ?
    Batty Bird

it aint what you do ...... its the way that you do it

I would be swapping the drive shaft and checking the old one for any grooves in the slider of the drive shaft and be swapping out the clutch assy and the retainer. Also with the clutch and drive shaft off check that the belt and rear pulley at the O pan are not binding or catching on anything, also just have a gander for any cracks, scratches or shavings of the plastic cam gear.

Comment

Sounds like the yoke coming off the B/E motor has come loose and moved and or worn. Change out the yoke properly and put on new balls on the shaft.
      richardcooley

Comment

What u joint? if plastic the slot will spread and cause problems. ( I put a hose clamp around and a hood pin through in place of the roll pin) that's a racing hood pin. the shaft can't get knocked of the weldment end.

Comment

If the situation is right, meaning the way things sit and the 'condition' of the parts, it is possible that when the distributor is at the corners the shaft is almost to the end of the drive housing and if there is a jam there or something is failing the distributor can get knocked over enough that the drive shaft simply falls out of the housing. With the distributor at the #1 pin how much clearance is there between the end of the drive housing and the end of the drive shaft? If there is enough you may be able to slide the drive housing out a little which would keep the shaft in farther when the distributor is at the corners and help to stop it from falling out. Of course you should find out exactly why this is happening in the first place. Is a jam causing the shaft to come out or is the shaft coming out causing a jam? And of course the parts on the drive shaft as well as the housing should be in good shape.

Comment

hi
            ok so new drive shaft checked housing / slider for groves and moved out slightly ( as tablejam sudjested ), all good . checked BE motor, was missing a bolt in the bottom so replaced also checked all bolts around that area . and the bolts holding the distributer mounting post , all now tight .
            the distributer now rocks frtom side to side , the BE motor is secure and the needle bearings where looked at recently as well as the whole distributer getting a good service .
            on the plus side it has only piled up once since the 8th ........UNTILL TODAY !!!!! twice at the 6 pin . though drive shaft has remained on !!
            Batty Bird

Comment

sounds like the drive shaft is tight between the housing and the distributor. When You line up the pin with the slot in the u-joint can u move the drive shaft back and forth. There has to be some movement.
              amf 82-70
              B2000
              quibca

Comment

Its possible you may have moved the drive housing out a tad too far if the shaft is bottoming out in it when the distributor is at the headpin.

Comment

is the shaft turning true or is it making oval shaped turns in the air? if its turning true it could be that the U joint is just tired and needs to tag out. If it is making ovals in the air it could be bottoming out like TJ said, or your shaft on the gearbox could be bent. This can cause the shaft to hit the motor or the housing to hit the gearbox. You can stick a piece of paper in there and let it run. USE A LIGHT PINCH if it grabs the paper out of your hand its too damn close.
                  When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Comment

Sounds like it's getting better, Now you may be dealing with a to long of a dist belt, and or not enough tension on the clutch spring
                    richardcooley

Comment

changed out the pin the the distributer belt and so far so good
                      Batty Bird

Comment

If the dizzy persists to sway/wobble a little just double check that the drive shaft and main shaft for the rear dizzy pulley are straight, any slight bend can cause intermittent issues from time to time and also cause the clutch to wear unevenly causing the clutch to slip and grab at different points of the rotation and also causing excess heat and a short lifespan on the clutch.

Comment

This is true but it can also run fine that way for years.

Comment

I have a few that are bent a little and they work fine with no issues and some other ones that I have had to swap the shafts out because they did not work correctly, as a general rule if the bend is after the clutch there should not be a issue, but if the bend is before the clutch it can cause the clutch to wobble and move up and down on the trip stop blade a little more than it should and if there is not enough lubrication on the blades then can cause excess wear....To me it just seems to be one of those 50 50 things were it works or it wont work.

Comment

If it is pilling up at one certain pin it could be to much spring pressure on the cluth or your cable on the distributor could be to long not triping it right or to late and the next pin hitting before it moves.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X