Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the service life of an 82-70?

I know maintenance and cleaning as well as past mechanical work done are all factors. but my question is say they've not been cleaned or lubricated and no other preventative work has been done. swapped the bad parts out and made to keep on truck'n. any ideas on service life then?
    When you know what to do, everything is easy.

Originally posted by Grit View Post
    I know maintenance and cleaning as well as past mechanical work done are all factors. but my question is say they've not been cleaned or lubricated and no other preventative work has been done. swapped the bad parts out and made to keep on truck'n. any ideas on service life then?
    I believe 82-70's can be made to run extremely well if you're willing to spend some time repairing the basics. I guess it depends on how badly the machines have been neglected! I started working in a center that recently had 70's installed (30's ripped out)...the 2nd-hand machines that were installed were in terrible shape - zero maintenance done/left in the rain after being taken out of their previous center etc etc. We started with 400 trouble calls/wk...down to about 25/wk after a year and a half. It's just a matter of identifying any issues and rectifiying them. (in my case - PBL rebuilds, R/S/C servicing, clutch servicing + general lube of everything made a huge difference!). So, in answer to your question...I think the '70's can run almost indefinitely with a good supply of parts and great techs!

Comment

I guess a different way to ask is, at what point do centers start looking at trading out the equipment. There's tons of examples where people go from 30's to 70's and 70's to 90's and 90's to GSX...just kidding about the last one :P.
      but for people who have done that, why?

Comment

Well past our lifetime

Comment

When getting parts is not availible. Alot of 30's stuff was costly if you could actually find things.

Comment

I think people change machines in hopes of getting rid of problem that is with the old machine (or getting hard to find parts.) But I tell them no matter what machine is in place if its not maintain properly then the new machine will have the same problems. A proper maintain machine will run forever.
            amf 82-70
            B2000
            quibca

Comment

Until a few years ago I had 8 30's and 14 70's. "Upgraded " not because the 30's did not run well. At 50 years old they still ran VERY well. Several reasons why we "upgraded".
              -Parts. Getting scarce (new anyways). Keeping 2 inventories was a pain and expensive.
              -Personnel. No need to train new people on 2 machines. 70's are probably safer.
              -Mgmt. Afraid something might happen to me and they would not find anyone who could service 30's

I really liked the 30's, but do not miss them
              Go Pirates

Comment

I think the cost of maintaining would be the key factor. It is just like anything else that needs maintenance. If you are putting so much money into the machine that the cost of a new is comparable, then you need to start looking at new machines. They are like cars...you just have 20 of the same car to take care of (that is if you have 20 lanes like I do). The only problem is most will want to update the entire center not just one or two at a time.

So saying that, the cost of parts to get a machine up and going is considerably less compared to a new machine these days.

Comment

I would say cost is the main factor IMHO. If it's gonna cost you more in parts to get your machines running like that should than purchasing new machines why not? Not that I would personally but the majority of centers I know that have replaced their machines were for that reason. Me personally I'd rather have an older well made machine (of course with available parts, that's another big factor) and work with that, but I do understand why some centers do replace their machines. Just my $0.02
                  All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Originally posted by Grit View Post
                    I guess a different way to ask is, at what point do centers start looking at trading out the equipment. There's tons of examples where people go from 30's to 70's and 70's to 90's and 90's to GSX...just kidding about the last one :P.
                    but for people who have done that, why?
                    If the machines have been neglected then it would coast a lot at first to bring them up to par, and that might make it seem like they are a money pit. But once they are brought up to this standard they would run very well and not justify being replaced with new ones. It really depends on the situation.

The expected lifetime of this machine is indefinite, as long as parts are available at reasonable cost and it is maintained it will run. I have some that are nearly pushing 50 years old and I believe they could run as good as brand new machines.

Comment

TJ, I agree with the older is better. The new steel is'nt what it use to be. The fancy AMF upgrade yrs. ago to the aluminum gearboxes did'nt last long and they were advertising new cast iron ones. It sucks if you spent good money thinking you are upgrading and end up with junk.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. its tough explain to the owners why you are over budget and still have multiple breakdowns.

Comment

Yeah when machines have been neglected (which imo ultimately the blame for that falls on the owners) its going to be expensive and take some time to bring them up to where they should be.

Comment

With any machine, it will run as long as the mechanic continues to work and the manufacturer keeps making replacement parts.
                            Change the chassis, is not the answer.

Comment

Agreed with the rest of the fellas... They will run as long as they make the parts, and you can put them on.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X