X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masking mod

Hi all,

Wanna ask a electrical question.

I have found that many of our customer cant see the lane numbers on the masking units, especially when all the glow lights are on.
    Management refuse to put signs up so i wanna know if it would be possible to make the lane numbers on the masking units light up like the 1st and 2nd ball lights? sounds like a simple job but just unsure of the best palce to wire the lights up to?

Maybe luminescent paint would be the easiest way to go? Or you could 'steal' voltage from the mask and use some LED's. Here is a 4" tall 7 segment led you could consider:
    https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...0001_105591_-1
    I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

I guess the question really is do you want the numbers lit all the time or only when those machines are on? If the scoring is set to show the bowler warning screen (when the lane is first opened) or the name entry screen it will also have the lane number visible in the upper corner of the monitor, after the game is started the lane number is selected as "team ##" where the ## is the lane number.

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
        I guess the question really is do you want the numbers lit all the time or only when those machines are on? If the scoring is set to show the bowler warning screen (when the lane is first opened) or the name entry screen it will also have the lane number visible in the upper corner of the monitor, after the game is started the lane number is selected as "team ##" where the ## is the lane number.
        Yeah, if you want the numbers lit all the time, you'll need a 'wall wort' type of power source so it gets power even when the machine is off. I think I feel a project coming on...
        I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

lol The system we use on the monitor seems obvious to us working there but to some customers its confusing as it shows both lane numebers with 1 in an arrow and they get that mixed up. But then that only applies for when they have found their lane anyway. Our main problem is time wasting with customers trying to find the lane in the first place.
          Im thinking maybe lights on all the time all linked to a switch we can turn them on/off when arriving and leaving.
          Any suggestions.

I do love a good project! lol

Comment

In that case then the question becomes...

Do you want these light to run off 120 or low voltage? If low voltage then you could come up with something. If high voltage then it is recommended to have an electrician run the power and install the switch for you but then it all depends on what you want to use for the actual light source and how exactly this will illuminate the lane numbers. Just a thought but maybe you could find something like a 6" long LED strip that you could mount above the lane number on the mask and have it shine directly down on to it. A couple of nice things about this is since it is LED they will last a long time, will probably come with some kind of plug in adapter (so an outlet would be needed-see 'electrican' above), but even if you never turned them off they would use very little electricity. If you mounted this right above the lane number I think for the best effect the mount should extend straight out about an inch or so to allow it to be more directly aimed at the number. You could light it from the top down or mount it on the bottom and uplight it. Need to figure out first though what the light source will be and what voltage it will use and how it will be controlled. How many lanes is this for?

Comment

I will have to have a think about it and search around a little.
              Its for 12 lanes. only 4 months old.

Comment

There are all kinds of LED interior lights for cars (12V) and if you look around on ebay you should find something that would work. Just look around on the internet, you might even find something at the auto parts store or wal mart. I'm thinking something with LEDs would be the easiest to use.

Here are some suggestions...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-light-modules/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...te-light/1093/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2FLPC-W2.htm

Comment

My suggestion would be to look at something like this. This is a 5 meter ribbon with
                  72 surface mount LED's per meter. ribbon.png
                  You can run a 12V (they come in 5V as well) buss along the curtain wall and power as many of them as you need along the way. The problem with 5V will come from voltage loss on a long run (which you shouldn't experience for so few lanes). You will need to keep the LED's in groups of three (3, 6, 9 etc), but they are really bright. Mount them on a piece of angle and mount to the mask, and you should be good.
                  I have purchased from the site previously mentioned in the past, but they are a bit pricey. This year I have purchased many products from here for my Christmas display. I'm not a fan of buying from China, but it came down to spending $2500 or $600. I would have had to do without if I stayed domestic. I can tell you that I know a lot of people involved in the Christmas decorating community (including myself) that will vouch for this vendor in particular.
                  Regards,

Billy T
                  bthompson@qubicaamf.us

Comment

I'll throw in a suggestion here. At Red Apple, most of our mask indication was burnt up, not working or missing completely.

Here was my solution.
                    http://www.bowltech.com/forums/showt...37964-Mask-Mod

All the supplies came from RadioShack and were dang cheap. If I remember right, under $400 to do all 32 lanes both front and back (bowler side and mech side).
                    BT member BigClive is an LED guru and could help you with the config and resistor values needed.

I would think you could draw power from the first ball lamp. It powers up as soon as the machine is turned on, so a wandering bowler should spot it easy, and stretch the LED's life out by not being lit up 24/7.

There's my 2 cents,

PinCup
                    We leave our greatest mark on this earth with the quality of our craftsmanship.

Comment

What about sending a message to the overhead welcoming them to their lane?
                      Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

PinCup what is that thing?

Comment

Just putting my .02 in. If you have black lighting on the concourse area get some kind of glow in the dark stuff or lights to put on the monitors. Don't have to look all the way down the lanes.
                          Thanks,
                          Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Tablejam View Post
                            PinCup what is that thing?

That is one of Big Clive's creations.
                            https://www.facebook.com/bigclive

As I said, he's the LED chosen one.

PinCup
                            We leave our greatest mark on this earth with the quality of our craftsmanship.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Many different views all leading to led's.
                              LED's it is then.

The problem with wiring it to the first ball light is that our lanes only turn on when the names have been entered and all the bunpers setting have been selected. I need these to work all the time to help customers find the lane in the first place.
                              You know what, thinking about it to make things a little better for us, I want them to run when i turn on the UV lights. Maybe there is a way that when the pindeck light is switched over by the mcu from white to black then the light will turn on also. Possible too much voltage running through the lights though. If not then just a switch to turn them on would be great.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X