X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Inverted Pins

Hello fellow Mechanics

I would like your wisdom in the problem
    of pins inverting (head first) off the pinwheel to the distributor.

thoughts?
    suggestions?
    idea?
    proper amount of semtec to use?

thanks

Doc

Re: Thoughts on Inverted Pins

Hey Doc,
    The problem probably lies in the ramp, make sure that it is adjusted properly. Teh pin should land in the center of the orientator pan, I had the same problem when I first installed my machines. If this is not the problem, check your orientator pan to pinwheel gap (should be about 1/4 to 3/8 in away). Tell me how it goes!!!

Comment

Doc, make sure your pin ejector is not broken and assuming you have 70's that your pin seat lever is adjusted properly. Play with adjustment on the "kidney pan". Can't tell you what the right adjustment is. I have 32 machines and I bet no two are the same. Good luck.

Comment

Doc,
        I have pins enter the machine head first when they are sticking in the pin wheel. Especially when coming up butt first. I noticed that the cleats on my machines are worn in such a way that just the tip of the cleat touches the pin. I used a side angle grinder to cut down this little nub on the tip of the cleat so the pin seats in properly without getting jammed. I had 4or5 jams every rainy day on a particular machine due to the pin sticking and going on head first. I have had none since I did this trick.

Comment

Slide your kidney guide up (toward the orientor pan). This will hold the pin till the head gets past the upright, on the BE motor side, of the pan.
          For the pin sticking in the PW problem...
          In one of the 2 houses I work at, the original Head Mechanic liked to modify things. This one worked. Remove the dist support weldment at the top. Elongate the 2 holes downward about 1/4". When you bolt it back up pry the bracket to its lowest position & use a little locktite (or some other type of adhesive) to "glue" them together. (this will keep it from trying to slide back up with vibration)
          For a quick fix, wipe the PW with lane oil once a week.

[This message has been edited by dutch (edited 04-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dutch (edited 04-25-2000).]

Comment

Check to make sure all your pin wheel pin holders are parallel to the edge of the pin wheel. If not it can cause either too early or too late pin release.

Comment

You even think those people are still alive? It's been almost 9 1/2 years! Just messin' witcha man! Hehe.
              There! Try to NOT work now!

Comment

Dutch did die awhile back I am sad to say. He was a great friend and a really good mechanic.

Comment

Im just curious why are so many 10 year old threads being dredged back up? Would assume by now they would be fixed??
                  AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

I've seen at times when the machine turns off if the pin wheel stops a little short of droping the pin, the pin will fall in head first

Comment

First thing you want to make sure of are the bolts on the ring tube are tight. And loose bolts will cause play in the pin wheel, then it won't matter how the turn pan is adjusted, you also want to make sure the pin wheel bearings are good that will also cause play. If the ring tube is bent then use "Stahls seventy" Ring tube tensioner assembly part # T-20855 assy. It replaces the two lower bearing plates with tensioner plates with springs, I have used them in every center I have worked in.
                      do it all RIGHT, do it all the FIRST TIME!!

Comment

Originally posted by mustangmechanic
                        First thing you want to make sure of are the bolts on the ring tube are tight. And loose bolts will cause play in the pin wheel, then it won't matter how the turn pan is adjusted, you also want to make sure the pin wheel bearings are good that will also cause play. If the ring tube is bent then use "Stahls seventy" Ring tube tensioner assembly part # T-20855 assy. It replaces the two lower bearing plates with tensioner plates with springs, I have used them in every center I have worked in.
                        While I agree the elevator should be tight, I must disagree about the pan adjustment being something that does not matter. In every situation, it is critical that the pan is adjusted to get the pins out of the elevator quickly, smoothly, and consistently head and butt first getting them moving forward on the distributor keeping good spacing between pins and the positioning of the pan is absolutely crucial to good orientation, whether the wheel is sloppy or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                          Doc,
                          I have pins enter the machine head first when they are sticking in the pin wheel. Especially when coming up butt first. I noticed that the cleats on my machines are worn in such a way that just the tip of the cleat touches the pin. I used a side angle grinder to cut down this little nub on the tip of the cleat so the pin seats in properly without getting jammed. I had 4or5 jams every rainy day on a particular machine due to the pin sticking and going on head first. I have had none since I did this trick.
                          Funny that the original post should have been dredged up because this answer highlights a problem I am having on a couple of machines. Anyone else had this problem and can vouch for the cure suggested here?
                          Discover wildlife - have children

Comment

Sorry table jam you are right, I was trying to make the point of loose pin wheels are a bad thing, with a loose pinwheel it can cause the pin wheels to move as the pin falls onto the turn pan, of course the pan needs to be adjusted right but if your pin wheel is loose that's the first thing to fix then the need to adjust the turn pan.
                            do it all RIGHT, do it all the FIRST TIME!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pin_Head
                              Im just curious why are so many 10 year old threads being dredged back up? Would assume by now they would be fixed??

A 10 year old thread is still great research for new techs.
                              They can try a solve a problem on their own using the search box.
                              There's a ton of knowledge pack in them pages from techs past.
                              I think old threads are handy to have, I've linked to them from time to time in a post.

PinCup
                              We leave our greatest mark on this earth with the quality of our craftsmanship.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse