Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front roller hinge spring install tool

Speaking of pits. I have fashioned a tool to make installing the hinge spring easier. I take a black master grip puller and I grind down the c part that cuts around the outside of the grip to more of a point. When installing a spring I put a 5/8 deep socket into the end of the puller and I use a 18' extension off of the socket. I hook the end of the spring on the end of the tool I ground into a point, and pry it onto the post as I sit on the back of the pindeck. I gain leverage by having my hand on the extension and the end of the extension braced against my leg. I know a mechanic that cut his eye trying to install the spring with a long screwdriver. If anyone has a better idea let me know. I pull the hinge every time a bounce plate comes out, I solvent tank them and apply a good coat of grease. Do the lubeless bushings work good in the hinges?

king

Re: front roller hinge spring install tool

Hello King,

When I pull the bounce board I use a piece of EMC conduit or vice-grips. Or if I don't want to get out to get these if I forgot them I grab hold of the bracket and pull it onto the post.
    If I'me just pulling a bracket I leave the bounce board in and use me hands or a JIMMY PRY BAR to get it back together.

SeeYa, Jonas

Comment

I use a piece of 1/2" conduit about 18 inches long and cut one end at a 45 degree angle. I put the conduit through the spring hook and place the 45 degree angle on the stud and then just slide the spring on the stud. Sometimes a little lubrication on the conduit helps to slide the spring easier.

Comment

I do the same thing as Terry. Instead of lubrication, I just use a hammer and slide it down the conduit and its on in a matter of 5 seconds.

Comment

Conduit sounds like a good idea. We need someone to make us a mass quantity out of metal pipe !

king

Comment

Hi Guys, I also use the 1/2 inch conduit, works slick. I got the idea from my auto mechanic days with brake springs.
            Ron M

Comment

Stahl's also has a spring tool that slips over spring to keep it from fully compressing.makes it easy to put on.
              Peanut
              Peanut

Comment

I also have one of the Stahl's spring tools. I like it because you don't have to pull the bounce plate to replace a front roller bracket.

Terry

Comment

I used to use the Stahl’s spring tool until I had one slip off of the tool while I had it in my hand. I got lucky, it didn’t pinch or cut my hand but the sudden shock hurt like hell. Fortunately, I haven’t had to pull a front roller hinge in 4-5 years. That’s when we put the lubeless bushings in. We’ve only had to replace one. The pivot pin was wasted & should have been sanded before the new bushing was installed. There’s nothing better, when doing a pit, than knowing that you don’t have to touch the hinges.
                  Dutch

Comment

I have a long thin piece of scrap metal - 2inches wide by 2-3ft long - ...and i cut a little notch in it for the spring. after the bounce plates and carpet are in...i reach under...while on the bounce plates...hook the spring on the post and with the other end of the spring in the front support i put the bar behind the support....the little notch fits over the spring so it wont slip...and i just use the bounce plates for leverage. Takes 2 seconds and i never have to remove the bounce plates.

Comment

Quote:]<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 82/70 king:
                      Conduit sounds like a good idea. We need someone to make us a mass quantity out of metal pipe !

king
                      </font>[/QUOTE]

use one of the old distributer tubes

Comment

I use the one from Stahls...best tool I ever bought!!

Comment

DARN!! IM still putting them on with my hand's! No tool's necc!

Ed

------------------
                          Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

You animal!

king

Comment

I just put the spring on first and pull the "Bear Claw" end onto the stud.
                              MMMMM bear claw

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse