Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle Adjustment

This may sound like a stupid question, but here goes. I have a shuttle that is closer to the bin on one side that the other. By this I mean one side is farther front than the other. The seven pin side is too far front and this causes the pins to fall through the shuttle if there is two in the bin. Anyway, I know how to adjust the whole shuttle front and back, but is there a way to just adjust one side? Any help is appreciated.
    Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Re: Shuttle Adjustment

Other than moving the spring to another hole location (witch never seems to completly solve the problem) this was suggested to me by a former installer and current mechanic with 30 years exp. He told me to remove the key for the left side shuttle arm and adjust it so the rear is square to the rear channel. Then tighten the clamp stud. This has worked for me.

Comment

Mreesr's suggestion sounds good. If even this doesn't work, I'd suggest fabricating a link between the shuttle stud and the tie rod that bolts to the stringer, of proportionate length. just a strip of metal, with two holes drilled in it to correspond to where the shuttle should be and where it is now.

Lord knows, no two machines are exactly the same. Contrary to popular belief, they are not just a bunch of parts bolted together, but rather they are living, knowing beings. Each one has it's own personality. Some are humorous, others are quite testy.
      Some are geniouses, others are retarded. Sounds like you are working with a "special" machine here. Did it ride the short bus to school?

Comment

Thanks guys. Thought about removng the key myself, but that was only if there wasn't a "correct" way to do it. I'll try it this afternoon and let you know how it works.
        Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

Allright....there are two ways to correct a double shuttle:

1. Lower theshuttle assy. in the rear by the threaded rods. They are not like the spot rods you must remove them completely.

2. Take off the offending pinholder and redrill the holes so that the pinholder is mounted 3/8 an inch or so farther toward the rear of the machine. I take a extra pinholder and vise grip it to the other one and drill the holes so the last one toward the foul line wont be used.

king

Comment

I don't know how much side-to-side adjustment you can get out of the shuttle shaft but I would make sure the tubes are directly under the stringers up front. That way you're not over correcting for the back alignment with the spring.

Measure the distance from the shuttle arms to the front of the bin. If they are not the same distance from the bin you might have a worn key, shaft or arm.

Check the condition of the Uniball brngs in the arms. I have had to replace some.

It could be that over the years the shuttle is no longer "square". Measure the shuttle corner to corner with a tape measure. If you come up with a big differance you might want to snug the bolts, square, then tighten bolts.

Edit=Somebody needs to start a thread on why they adj the back of the bin side to side?

[ March 25, 2001: Message edited by: Bender ]

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by AMF Magic:

Lord knows, no two machines are exactly the same. Contrary to popular belief, they are not just a bunch of parts bolted together, but rather they are living, knowing beings. Each one has it's own personality. Some are humorous, others are quite testy.
              Some are geniouses, others are retarded. Sounds like you are working with a "special" machine here. Did it ride the short bus to school?

[/QUOTE]

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] Who was it that said they walk out of there shop backwards to confuse them. Coors? Dutch?
              [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Bender's reading my mind. I rebuild machines completely from the frame up and found that, even after assembling bins and shuttles with all new parts, they don't always come out square. Another way to test for square is to use a carpenter's square or combination square against the rear cross tube, checking a straight linear tube. If square, do the arm & key thing.
                If not, to straighten in the machine, I lower the table, drop the rear of the shuttle to clear the counter box weldment on the bin, and SHOVE (sounds like a Bender project). [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                If it's not square, and anything else is wrong with it (bent or cracked tube, several bad pin holders, etc), then I replace the whole unit.

Comment

Hey King
                  Double shuttle,
                  frame to pindeck, lanes been cut?
                  no mod needed

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse