Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Motor Switches

Hey guys...

Just wondering if anyone out there is using SS Motor switches for Westinghouse Combo Motors (82/70s). I'm getting really fed up with dealing with Centrifugals and fried motor boards. If so, which brands do you recommend and/or stay away from. Also, are there any related problems that one will inherit when changing over? (i.e. Motor Coasting, etc.)
    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Kat
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Re: Solid State Motor Switches

i have good luck with them on backend motors .i dont like them on combos for coasting reasons.i use motor start relays mounted outside the machs.right of sweep motor under chassi.bypasses switch & mech. there is wiring from tsa2 and tsa3 for sweep ts20 ts22 for table you have to do but after that motor start relay goes unplug 3 wires either 1 nut or tape for time and your going again.dont have to change head ,reset klixon

Comment

I have Quality switches on 90%of my motors.
      West.back ends & national combos.
      They work great on the BE motors...and very well on the nationals..as long as I keep the carbon brushes in good shape -
      they won't coast.I had a problem a few days ago-but the brushes were thinner than a dime-replaced them & all is well again.Don't know about west.or GE combos...oil leaking clunkers anyway !!
      the nationals do NOT leak a drop-love 'em!

Comment

Just for the record, Ive got westinghouse combos, & GE Backs...neither of them leak.

at a different house i used AMF's SSSS for national combos, and they worked nicely.

As for the West. motors, dont know the manufacturer, but the previous mechanic used some Red contraption which was velcro'd to the side of the motor...i didn't particularly care for them. got all mech's & switches on now run great. Maybe i'll look into SS's again

Later

Comment

Do agree that the Westinghouse leak alot. But not a big fan of the Nationals. The Keyway idea drives my nuts.

However, when rebuilding gearboxes, I also use a THIN coat of YAMABOND (by Yamaha, for watercraft) as a liquid gasket. Works great.

Coors...I'm not opposed to the mechanical centrifugals, but with the extreme high linage in my center, they seem to be very high maintenance sometimes. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be someone here with Westinghouse SS start switches.

Kat
          "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

kat,

im not opposed to anything either...my usual maintenance is checking mechs & switches once at christmas and once during the summer. If a West SSSS comes along that lasts years without worry, i'd like to hear about it too

Comment

do you guys know about motor start relays that u mount outside the motor.

Comment

Ok, I'm blowing my own horn a bit here, but we manufacture ss start switches that will run on National, GE, Westinghouse, Smith and some other brand whose name escapes me at present. They work for both 82-70s and 82-30s with no coasting. A minor wiring mod under the front wire-way on 70s is necessary to retain sweep reverse, but that's only a matter of swapping a couple of terminals.

You can check them out at <a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.cybernetic.com.au" target="_blank">http://www.cybernetic.com.au</a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a> - full wiring diagrams are there as well.

We've sold over 1,000 in Australia (and a few in China). If you twist my arm a bit, I might be able to send a couple of free sample switches to get you started. Let's say one each to the first 5 enquiries we get who mention Bowltech. Sorry Aussie guys, this doesn't include you, because you already know they work (thank you!).

Ray
                Ray Jordan
                Cybernetic Solutions/tenpintec
                Australia

Comment

does your solid state have a quick disconnect,so you can change just the solid state switch with out changing the motor head?

on national combo motors if solid state goes out during league you would have to change head.most of the time head comes right off,not all the time.

currently i use nothing but motor start relays(black box mounted externalon mach.
                  if motor pops reset during league it takes less than 2 minutes to unplug russel,3 stake on wires.

on westinghouse combos down time would be the same either way you would probably change head witch is much easier than nat.
                  plus with west. head gets so hot when poping reset that with mtr.st relay you would have to wait for it to cool down anyway.

so if you have west. combos and the solid state switches are good ,not like old quality ones,i think they would be good.

if you have national combos,unless switch has quick disconect,so you can put another one on,without changing head,motor start relays are the way to go.

backend motors/like sinpac for nationals

westinghouse/solid state switches that dont velcro onto the hot motor.can velcro to a bin strap bent along motor head.

JUST MY OPINION
                  i work with all types of motors at the 9 centers i service.

Comment

Our start switches are not supplied as quick-connect, but attach to the outside of the motor with the 4 wires running to the inside of the motor (see photo on web site). But a screw type terminal block could be fitted to enable them to be disconnected quickly if that were desired. We don't have many switch failures, so it really hasn't been an issue.

It's a good idea though, so we may incorporate quick disconnect into any future re-design.

Ray
                    Ray Jordan
                    Australia

Comment

has anyone tried the new sweep contacts for the chassis sold/pictured by zot in their new catolog? if so...better worse or same ol' same ol'???

i would be interested in quick disconnect for westingcouse combo's. like i said i originally had these red rectangular boxes velcroed to the side of the motors...at the time i didn't understand them and replaced with mech's &amp; switches which i know and can SEE if its bad. i'd feel alot better buying SSSS's again if i knew i could troubleshoot quickly in the middle of a tournament or league.

and rrev, exactly what kind of motor is pictured on your web page? it's red and had a capacitor attached and vent holes all around it...is it just a pit motor on one of your test mounts???

Comment

coors

on west combo if you had ss you still would have to wait for motor to cool down before reset works,so what ever you use it would be quicker to change head with spare set up with same type ss head.

look like 82/30 general electric to me

[This message has been edited by bowlingpinman (edited 10-17-1999).]

Comment

actually the new sweep/rable contacts i referred to are by "bowl-tronic"...still has anyone tried them???

as for the mystery motor i was gonna guess a GE combo motor...never seen one...but obviously its not on an 82-70 so i thought i'd ask

Comment

The bowlingpinman is absolutely correct - the photo of the ssss is in fact on a GE 82-30 combo motor. The pic was taken by me about 4 years ago at Warragul Bowl (Victoria Australia). It is still going strong.

Ray

btw, the freebie offer went well, so I'm extending it to the first 10 enquiries!
                            Ray Jordan
                            Australia

Comment

we have national back ends and combo's in my centre and we run the cybernetics soild state switches on all. we have had no problems at all. only tricky parts is the sweep reverse mod. but even that takes no time.

Ray whats the freebie offer.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse