Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIST CLUTCH,PINION,82/70,NEW IDEAS?

IM INTERESTED in new ideas dealing with dist. clutches running smooth meaning tripping for long period of time. super clutches are junk dont last long.original amf bushings and sleeves freeze up on d washers green bushings work about 7 out of 10 for me ,no lube but gather dirt.also interested in suppliers for best clutch plates worms friction disk.

Re: DIST CLUTCH,PINION,82/70,NEW IDEAS?

we are going to try brazing the pinion onto the plate, to stop the wearing where they interlock
    i don't need mods, i am a bloody genius

Comment

Craig we did that on 82/30's. Never tried it on 70's. But you dont want to get it to hot or it will worp The disc.

Bowlingpinman, I was told that Stahls had a needle bearing replacement for the bushing. I've also found by slightly shortening the bushing inside the rear trip rod that it changes the angle of the stops that creates less friction. I do this by putting it in a drill then take it to the grinder, this gives you a flat 90 degree edge on it.

TECH

Comment

thanks for reply.ive tried needle bearings from stahls(no good),theytighten up.ive done the spacer shorter trick in some cases it helps.brasing pinion to inner clutch plate,dont see much need there,i replace plate not that expensive.im looking more in the pinion running longer while tripping smooth.main problem seems to be heat against d washer and pinion bushing that drys up pinion.MAYBE A 1000$ ARM LOL

Comment

AMF's black pinion is nice. made of some kind of urethane stuff. its on lane 20 in my center. i've made a point of not oiling it for over 4 years (still grease the stop blades) and it still seems to be in good shape. as soon as i run out of brass pinions ill convert all to that style

Comment

i currently use a green no lube from stahls works pretty good most of the time does collect dirt on sleeve.i tried amf,that goes over shaft (no sleeve),it froze up.amf black and green stahls look the same .i do think untill they get dirt build up i like them.does the one u use have a sleeve? Tom Stahl is currently testing green bushing with whale oil dont have results yet.any ideas about ridding the heat by d washer?

Comment

coors dont convert all at once try couple more first i get about 7 out 10 to work smooth.

Comment

hey

the AMF pinion im usin has no sleeve. Its the black version of the grey one that vantage came out with that i hated....LOL
                i'd like to try the green one as well

[This message has been edited by Coors (edited 10-06-1999).]

Comment

I use a stainless washer between pinion and d-washer. With a drop of multipurpose white lithium grease. I haven't burned a pinion in over a year(that's when I switched back to the old style clutch and dumped all my super clutches in the trash)

Comment

thanks for reply fix it.tried stainless,but not with lithium grease good idea for bronze bushing.ive tried stainless/needle bearing flat washer/stainless but that burned out.i heard today that there is different grades of that oiless urithane.i would be scared that if i put stainless/lithium next to green sleeve it would work in to sleeve loosening tension.ive tried stainless green ,works about same,do get me wronge green works pretty goodthe sleeve just finds dirt after awhile.

Comment

bowlingpinman I really don't see the need for all the fuss over clutch parts. I know every center is different but the 82-70 clutch will work fine by itself in it's original form. The only reason I use a stainless washer between pinion and d-washer is for a smoother ,harder,flater surface.(mechanics whim)
                      Are you sure you don't have a tension problem? As in trying to run to much spring pressure. 1/2 to 3/4 turn is all I ever use. The clutch is one part of the machine I never worry about. I haven't pulled a clutch in over 6 months. Ooops I take that back. I ran a pit motor backwards the other day and broke the worm.

Comment

fix it

i dont have problems with clutches,i am a service mech.i know the feel of tension on a clutch spring.i posted the topic for ideas in making it better.

Comment

Agree with both of you:

The clutch will work fine for a long time with little maint and adj. However, it still requires more maint that most things over time or it will fail.

There is plenty of room for improvement on the clutch so that it will work forever with no maint, then just crap out.

Just like the ball lift, it starts squealing as a warning right before she blows. All you do is pull it, put in new guts, and walah, trouble free for many years to come. Unless you use vantage bearings...LOL

TECH

Comment

Sorry bowlingpinman I thought they clutch setup you have was giving you trouble.

As far as making the clutch run better, I've tried several things. Most of which ended up in a box in the corner. IMO they run too well as is. I feel the next step would be something "stand alone" no drive shaft, u-joint or clutch. Maybe a small motor and a cheap electronic eye?? Seems to work well in a lot of other industries with a little more advanced technology than ours. LOL

Comment

2 things. First how about a magnetic clutch?
                              The little oilite hole in the pinion? drill it a little bigger, 1/8 inch and put a drop of oil in it once a month, the oil will reach the washers and lubricate the sleeves fine.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse