Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cell adjustments

I have a simple question regarding cell spot adjustments. In the past, I have tightened them (1/4 inch bolt) so that the guage stops about half way through the finger. But lately I am having a lot of respots. Am I making them too tight? Also, what causes a finger to tip a pin over when it goes to pick them up? I hope this message will get more responses then my last one! thanks, Mark.

Re: cell adjustments

"guages?...i dont need no guages"...LOL Cheech & Chong quote

i just adjust the fingers so the when locked the fingers are parallel. when using the guage as described in the holy book...if a pin gets slid to the outer range of the cell...it slips through the fingers...(unless every part is perfect...meaning$$)...when parallel...so long as the head of the pin pops through the hole...it'll get picked up.

as for moving the pin when it gets picked up...the obvious is one of the nylon inserts broke and is causing the roll pin to drag on the cell frame not allowing free movement...i personally just let the fingers run without inserts or rollpins...another cause is bent pivot posts allowing its yoke to interferring with other cells...inparticular...5pin post interfering with the 4pin...or any finger where pins in table is common

more subtle causes are grooved fingers...where they are connected by the bolt...also reversal of the long/short bolts for the upper/lower fingers...pinchaser are good for that...also dont rule out table bein too low or cups bein too toed in...which causes the pin cup to touch the pin when the table picks it up.

thats about all i can think of right now...GPS/tech/& ken...any thoughts?

Comment

One thing you might want to check is the length of the drive link from the respot cell to the table wireway. If its too long on one of the cells, that cell will grip the pin very tightly and every other cell on the table will be loose and could drop the pins. I think the correct length is 3" but I don't have the "Holy book" in front of me so I'm not sure.

Comment

Aaayyyeee...thee..holy...book,

The main reason a finger knocks over or causes a wobbly pin is a poor rebuild... or very worn dry RSC. When rebuilding a RSC all the major moving parts must be as loose as a goose while the pivot areas must be as tight as a frog’s ass. Make sure fingers, stud and frame are straight. All worn parts some minor mods must be made. This would be difficult to describe without going to sleep. A picture would be worth a thousand words if I knew how to post one.

Basically, after a rebuild the screws must be tight with no binds or sluggishness. The fingers must fall under their own weight while tipping the RSC back and forth. Take the arm out of the hole it should also fall under its own weight. When you put the arm back in the hole ... hold it tight and make sure it has clearance underneath where it might hit the stud. If it does check for a bent stud. A washer might need to be put underneath. WAKE UP... not just any washer it needs to have as small as outside diameter as possible or when its installed a RSC behind it will catch its finger on it once in a blue moon, which is once to many for me.

As for the gauge, I only use it for the spotting cups. Like Coors said make sure they’re parallel.

One other thing I do is cut that high flat spot (behind the stud) flush with the rest of the flange.

TECH

Comment

Finger cells....
          I have many that I haven't touched for years and they work great however after rebuilding about 50 I have stumbled across a minor problem.

When the cell closes the rear finger lags behind (only moves about 2 inches) the front finger swings right the way round until there parallel. If there is no pin there when they re-open the rear finger hits the bumper way before the front one. On the odd occasion I have noticed a slight sticking as they re-open . What I am aiming for is to have both fingers hit the bumpers at the same time.

Cheers

Kelvin

Comment

Many good suggestions guys. Lately I have run into the following problem. Fingers binding against the rsc frame. Close the cell and slide forward and slide back you feel alot of resistance. I have been finding that the large round washer just under the x-washer where the fingers join in the center has been mashed down either by pin fly or most likely a pin jammed in it. Remove washer -flatten it out-reinstal-big difference. Also when old style spacers (rubber) get oil on them they tend to expand causing somewhat of a bind. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

in agreement with tech's loose as a goose statement...dont know if this is the case anymore or not...but vantages finger yokes were way too thick...and i popped the little black thing out and filed a good 1/16 - 1/8 inch off of the yokes to get the fingers too pivot freely. vantage is good for saying "we beefed it up" well kinda back fired for this part...i have a supply of AMF yokes and havent had a vantage yoke for five years or so.

anyone else come across this?

Comment

I too have been the victim of the Vantage "beefed up" yoke. I bought 20 of the little suckers a couple of years ago. Must have taken me a week to put those 20 fingers together. BTW how do you "beef up" pot metal?

Comment

A few more thoughts

As Tech-Mech mentioned clearance between the bottom of the pivot and top of the cell stud is important for the cell to lock properly. If you had a bent pivot stud theres a good chance the pivot yoke is bent as well. You can straighten these out in a vice using a screwdriver through the pivot to bend it back until its at right angles again. Use lots of heat and be very gentle or they will snap. I did use washers underneath the stud for a few but this reduces the clearance between the top of the 7/16 nut and bottom of the wire way. If you do use washers put them underneath the stud or you won't be able to get the x-washer back on.

As for inserts at the end of the fingers I normally grind the top at an angle on the front finger to improve clearance under the next pivot yoke as Coors mentioned. Better still I now use the white Vantage push on ones no problems with clearance there. Sometimes I do it with the rear also to improve clearance under the next carburretor linkage (i.e. 8's rear finger catching on 9's linkage).

Anyway even after all the adjustments and checks I still find too many dragging fingers.

Cheers
                  Kelvin

Comment

2 Things , if you are using Vantage parts, which you shouldn't, Vantage quality control has a problem of leaving residue around and up the pivot pins , I used to take a pocket knife and scrape this off, they don't come clean from Vantage sometimes. If you don't clean this off when you tighten the screws down they will bind up. Next their pivot studs don't all come straight from the package,test them for dragging before putting on the x washer, a little oil and spin them in the yoke good if you get a little drag don'y use them they will be problems.

Comment

we use vulcan pins...and as a quick guage as to whether the fingers are closing enough i watch to see that the pins are picked up with the fingers locking an RCH above the top of the top red stripe.

Comment

That's my gauge too, Coors.

I like the Vantage RSC frames because of the pressed on "nut". Doesn't strip near as easy as any of the others. Most of the other RSC parts I get from either Stahl's (for the house where I can spend $) or JCP (for the house I can't spend $).

Comment

Another thing to check is touy table height, a table that is to low will knock over the pins on respot also. When your table feels for pins see if the spotting cups tip a little, that would let you know if the table might need raised.

Comment

cups tipping a little as the table respots pins would also indicate...spotting rod too short, or front end of machine needs lowered

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse