Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpets

anyone have any carpet loosening tricks?

meaning when ya get the virgin carpet out of the box it never wants to run right off the bat, becaue of the folds in it from bein in the box for several years. i personally take two start switch springs and hook them from the support bushing assy to the side frame of the machine. but its still an hour or two before the carpet makes its first revolution. ive heard the war stories of veteran mechs havin to use buckets of hot water on the original mandrel carpets.

anyone have interesting ways of getting todays carpets started?

Re: Carpets

This probably isn't the smartest way to do it, but the old mechanic before me wasn't all that hot on safety either. He used to slap on the new carpet and have the pinchaser run on it like a treadmil for a half hour or so to get it running. Today I just leave the pit on for a couple hours or so and eventually it starts grabbing. Just an interesting tail I thought I'd share with you though.

Beau

Comment

The best way I found to get a carpet moving is to lay on the pin deck and use your legs to get it started. Its a good work out for 5 minutes but it gets it started (slowly). I also always take mine out of the box to get the folds out of them. Just one idea.

Comment

while we're on carpets whats the best way to claen them. i never seem to be able to get the built in grime out.
        Si Senor, Derdago, Forte Lorez inaro.
        Demainte Lorez, Demis Trux,
        Foolacous Andens Andux.

Comment

A couple of things I've done to take care of the folds:
          1.) sit them out in the sun for a couple of hours and let them heat up a bit before installing them (easy to do in the eastern NC summertime heat)...
          2.) In the winter, after installing I hang a small heat lamp in the pit and let it run for a couple of hours.
          As far as cleaning, I use Simple Green (diluted VERY weak) and a mop about once a week.

Comment

test

Comment

SOON AS YOU GET THE CARPET TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOX. GET A BROOM STICK OR A PIPE ETC.AND PUT IT THROUGH CARPET. THEN HANG IT WITH ROPE TO A WALL.PUT ONE OR TWO FRONT ROLLERS IN BOTTOM OF THE CARPET AND LET IT HANG UNTIL YOUR READY TO USE IT YOU SHOULD HAVE NO TROUBLE.DO NOT LET THE ROLLER SPIN IN THE CARPET AND WALK AWAY HOPING IT WILL GRAB.YOU CAN LEAVE ONCE IT STARTS GOING AT A SLOW PACE.IF IT DOSENT GO RIGHT AWAY. AFTER HANGING THEM THEY USUALLY GO RIGHT AWAY.PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT.

Comment

I AGREE WITH KEVIN, I ALSO TAKE MY CARPET BELTS OUT OF THE BOXES AND HANG THEM UP ON THE WALL.I HAVE 48 LANES AND CARRY 2 TO 3 SPARE BELTS AT ALL TIMES. WHEN A TAKE THEM FROM THE WALL AND INSTALL THEM I NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS GETTING THEN TO MOVE ON THE FIRST TRY.SAVES ALOT OF TIME WHEN THE LEAGUE BOWLERS ARE WAITING FOR YOU TO GET IT UP AND RUNNING AGAIN.DO YOUR BOWLERS A FAVOR GET THEM OUT OF THE BOX BEFORE YOU NEED THEM.

JIM
                jim k.

Comment

I have never in my life ever heard of a carpet not going first go in Australia.What type of carpet belts are you guys using??? are they GATES belts???
                  WILDCHILD..

Comment

Sounds like a Southern Hemisphere thing to me.
                    We're using Vantage Premiums. They're stiffer going in but perform better than the Gates. They don't curl at the ball door when they get oil in them & they don't seem to get as dirty. They do grow sideways though. We just trim them when they do. Length ways we haven't seen a stretch problem.
                    We haven't tried hanging them yet; sounds like a good idea. What we do is take it out of the box (preferably the night before) & fold it so the creases are in the middle & put a front roller on it.
                    I've tried a new trick recently that seems to be working well. I spiral some 2" masking tape around the rear roller. (Like a barber shop pole) It gives it a little more traction & as we all know masking tape will just dry up & flake off eventually.
                    As for cleaning them, we've tried lots of things but most (including simple green) leave a sticky film that just attracts dirt faster. Usually we use lane stripper diluted to the same ratio as for the lanes. Mop it on heavily then squeeze the mop dry & dry the carpet. Then using a large towel, we dry the carpet some more. I personally use a separate rinse mop & bucket before using the towel but I'm the only person I've ever seen do this extra step. In my opinion, it gets rid of more dirt & any of that sticky film that I mentioned before.
                    Dutch

[This message has been edited by dutch (edited 07-10-2000).]

Comment

Hey wild child wich way do the carpets roll in Austrailia, clockwise or counter clockwise..... lol
                      Why yes, we wax them everyday!

Comment

Hmm... running on the carpet like a treadmill. Seems to me like that would be hard on the bounce plates. What do you think?
                        Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

Not if you've built them right & the guy running on them isn't 300 lbs.
                          Dutch

Comment

I also prefer Vantage Premiums...tho i know they rate low in here.....ive still got several premiums goin strong @ over 10 years. i got the green AMF splice finger carpet in '96ish...whenever it came out...its already bit the dust.....replaced it with a vantage premium wed afternoon. and the orange deals never made it that long.

i remember someone talkin about premiums bein too wide....well vantage must have been reading this site....cuz the carpet i put in wed was too narrow....but i can deal with it...LOL

i also remember Stahl's seventy's white carpet being praised here....i just cant stick a white carpet in there just to get dirty...LOL

[This message has been edited by Coors (edited 07-11-2000).]

Comment

wild child
                              two carpets i got off chipper the other day i had to kickstart them both. yep, first time in 17 years ive struck it.
                              Si Senor, Derdago, Forte Lorez inaro.
                              Demainte Lorez, Demis Trux,
                              Foolacous Andens Andux.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse