Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stahl's "Tuffy Super Jam Stopper" in action!

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stahl's "Tuffy Super Jam Stopper" in action!

So I decided to try a few of these, I mean the idea totally makes sense and recently I saw these in action and liked what I saw.

Basically, it's meant as an extension of the distributor pan/pin guide to stop pins from over orienting or rolling off the side of the pan.

***All things being in good condition it can still happen.

I just happened to have one machine like this that I've been trying to get down to ZERO distributor jams and I think this was the only thing missing.

When you order ONE of these this is what you get: thread1.png

A rod, mounting bracket, 2 allen screws and 2 bolts and nuts. This is universal to work on either side of the distributor depending on how you assemble it. The mounting bracket is not flat so when mounting (on the outside of the pin guide) the top should be away from the belt as the rod will mount on the inside of that and the allen screws secure the rod to the bracket from the outside, with the bracket being in between the rod and screw. This way pins cannot hit the heads of the screws.

As far as where exactly to mount it, well, I kind of just guessed but this is meant to control butt first pins so on the odd lane you would mount it on the 7 side, and the even would be on the 10 side. The exact position was a mystery to me so I watched butt first pins turn and based my mounting position on where I thought it would work the best, so this may vary from machine to machine.

You can see here how it is mounted so it is high enough that pins cannot roll over it...(imagine this being an extension of the orientor pan) thread2.png
    thread3.png

Wherever you mount it you want to make sure the the securing bolts/holes will be under the rolled top part of the pinguide.

Now this might look wrong or be wrong (I really don't know, I've never put one of these on before), but I think this is one of those things that there is no 'one-single' way to install it, you simply install it where it will work the best and in the video below you will see it works pretty darn good. On this particular machine I decided this was the best place to mount it and you can see how it puts the over turning of the butt first pins in check very nicely.

This machine has already got a new pan, new carriage/rollers, new belt, ringtube tensioner, roller clutch, and enviro pinion. I think this was the last piece of the puzzle to get the pinjam calls down to zero.

***One thing I should point out is that the 'opening' of this new pan is about 5-3/4"+ when it should be no more than 5-1/2", so that may be contributing to the excess roll of butt first pins so something you may want to check first. I'll admit, I should have corrected that first but I REALLY wanted to try one of these... lol! But, if this device solves that problem then I guess it really does not matter.
    Last edited by Tablejam; 07-18-2014, 11:50 PM.

We saw these and thought how hard can it be. And made some, we used pin seating rods, kidney pan rubbers and a mounting bracket. I'll upload a piccy or two when I'm at work again.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

If you take the pan out they are not needed.

Comment

What kind of belt is that?
          9th Amendment!

Comment

King is right I took the pans out on my dist. cpl. years ago and it works great.

Comment

All of my dists have had these for yrs. 1 less worry
              King
              PAN? not sure what you mean
              pic?
              Go Pirates

Comment

That long pan under the belt 2 bolts on back to the orientation pan and 2 up front. part. number 070-006-042

Comment

Originally posted by 70/70 View Post
                  All of my dists have had these for yrs. 1 less worry
                  King
                  PAN? not sure what you mean
                  pic?
                  Rear belt runner.

Originally posted by pitman2 View Post
                  What kind of belt is that?
                  EBN tan distributor belt, I forget the number but it's on their site. So far they seem really grippy.

Comment

well i wanted to upload a picture of our home made jam stoppers, but after riding home on the motorway in the typical british summer weather, my 100% water proof pocket turned out to be not 100% water proof after all, so now i have a broken phone so i cant take any pictures of it. sorry guys.

Comment

Well, last night, busy night, ZERO jams on this lane.

Looks promising.

Comment

I had a couple and thought they were oem
                        Keep an eye on it see if it does it again

Comment

Yeah, it looks like it belongs on there, doesn't look like an add on at all- that's pretty cool.

I mentioned in my first post that this is meant for butt first pins, which it is, but I think it could also work to calm down head first pins too if they are over turning so you would mount one of these or whatever side of the distributor it needs to go or put one on both sides.
                          Last edited by Tablejam; 07-20-2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I will also mention my pin elevators run at stock speed and last night.... ZERO pinjams again.... woohoo!

Comment

ok so i managed to get hold of a camera and get a couple of pictures of our home made jam stoppers. i personally dont like them i like to set orientation up properly instead of winging it.
                              pin seat rod 1.jpg pin seat rod 2.jpg

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

ETU diagnostic tool

I've posted before about wanting to try and figure out how to fix these trigger boards we have. I'm trying to map the thing out and create a schematic, but it's slow going, especially...

Preventative Maintenance - Vector HD Problem

Tried to help a friend out at my old center with an electrical problem. 24 Brunswick Jetbacks, Serial 3000, no TDM with Vector HD Scoring which I know nothing about other than...

Gutter Straps

Hey everyone, I hope someone can direct me in the right direction. I'm looking to find either a part number or someone willing to part with some.gutter straps. I have plastic...

AMF 82-90XL BE Gearbox seals part number cross reference.

I have spent a few hours cross checking part numbers for my 82-90xl's Back end gearboxes. I have found that most auto part stores carry these seals for a fraction of the price...
                              Working...
                              X