Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball lift belts

So what is your favorite ball lift belt?
    Looking through the archives, I was surprised to find a wide variety of opinions on every belt.
    Personally, I prefer the good ol' black Gates belts. Green belts seem to get shiny, and orange belts get really dirty.
    As for Vantage blue belts - Ugh! The catalog says something like "specially formulated for bowling balls." Yeah, right. "Specially formulated to repel bowling balls," maybe.
    What say you?
    Chad Q.

Re: Ball lift belts

The best ball lift belt I have ever used (and curently use) are the gray ones I get from Newell's Bowling Supply. It's not made by any of the big guys. It is made from another company (I dunno who). It is made from a gray, high friction material and is flat..like the Gates black ones. The underside "V" is solid, not cogged like the Gates. They run sweet and complement our PBLs. The only problem we encounter with them is the Reactor oil, but that is a seperate issue and I won't elaborate here.

The belts don't flake off and fit both kinds of pulleys--deep and shallow.

But, I could be wrong...

Kat
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

The grey belt's are also available through Sthal's, there made buy A-1 belt's in NY, (some where in NY) and I agree that they are the best on the market at this time. They have a slightly roughed surface and grab the bowling ball great(I have to use the word "bowling" in front of any ball comments I make)
      One other thing I would like to mention that a woman from Life Long products called me the other day (there the manufactures of the humpback) and she informed me that the belt come's with a 10 year warrentey on the surface wich I wasnt aware of! That makes a big differance! Her name was Casandra and booooy did she sound HOT! HUMANA-HUMANA!

Ed

------------------

The belt that come's with the 10 year warrentey is the HumpBack.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Fox (edited 01-21-2001).]
      Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Really?!
        GRAY belts? Never heard of such a creature!
        But if both of you clowns say they're good, they must be good!
        Please be a little more specific on who makes them. I have never heard of Newell's or Sthals. Phone #'s, maybe?
        So you say they don't have a "V" on the underside?
        How do they stay on the pulleys?
        What are they made of?
        What is going on here?
        Where am I?

Chad Q.

Comment

This also reminds me of an old guy who bowls every day and really takes an interest in the bowling center's operations.
          About a year ago, he got really fed up with the piss-poor performance of the sure-piks at the center I am forced to work at occasionally. They are C-90 sure-piks.
          Anyhow, he asked to borrow a s-p belt. A few days later, he brought it back. He had taken it to some tire store and had it "siped." It had little horizontal cuts across it every two inches or so.
          He figured that "siping" the belt would give it more traction against the ball.
          Yesterday, I was in the back of this godforsaken center and saw the "siped" belt hanging on a nail, unused. It is a Gates black rubber belt.
          I'll try to get them to put it on the next sure-pik that goes to hell, and inform y'all of the results.
          Chad Q.

Comment

Hey ED
            can you give me Sthal's part number for the gray belt's
            i have not seen this belt my self and would be interested in checking it out

Thanks TIM

Comment

The best idea was given me by John Davis about six years ago(maybe this was mentioned before, but I didn't see it) : instead of the rubber tubes on the upsweep, put the tubes that Brunswick machines use in theire machines(compressor is needed with this).I'm using this (and some other bowlings) with alot of succes. No Yo-Yo's against the upsweep any more....

Martin
              So it goes.

Comment

Quote:]<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lampie:
                The best idea was given me by John Davis about six years ago(maybe this was mentioned before, but I didn't see it) : instead of the rubber tubes on the upsweep, put the tubes that Brunswick machines use in theire machines(compressor is needed with this).I'm using this (and some other bowlings) with alot of succes. No Yo-Yo's against the upsweep any more....

Martin
                </font>[/QUOTE]
                Lampie,
                When Ed joined us @ Plaza we had just purchased the Phoenix (puts out slightly more oil than the century 100) Scores were awesome but the ball return calls were brutal. I'm not sure if it was his idea or someone suggested (I'm sure he's gonna take credit anyway ) but we started changing over and it worked great. You do need a compressor and the special fitting from Brunswick to install them. Also, put baby powder on the upsweep and pour it in one end of the new cover. This makes it slide smooth.
                CAUTION: If you don't hold on tight to the tube , you'll wind up with a face full of powder.
                Benn there done that.

Jason

[This message has been edited by GM (edited 01-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by GM (edited 01-24-2001).]

Comment

Tim, the # is as follow,s 000-024-604-T.
                  From what I can tell buy the Sthal,s catalog that the part numbers are the original # with a T after it (Tuffy) is their trade mark. If you dont use the T after the # you will end up with a differnt belt! Maybe a blue one!

On the L/R cover's I thought of useing the gum rubber after I started working on Brunswick machines. It just made sense. Now if someone could figure out a way to attach a AMF ball lift belt to a Brunswick ball wheel all of our problems will be solved!
                  AMF triangle, I have allready tried the "siped" theroy! I found that surface contact was much better. But if you want, give it a shot. You have nothing to loose except the three hour's of sitting on the mach. sending ball's back, I had to do it.

Hey look at that Jon, great mind's do think alike!
                  Ed

Ps, the phone number for Sthal,s is 952-432-2231

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ed Fox (edited 01-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ed Fox (edited 01-24-2001).]
                  Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Hey thanx a lot y'all!
                    We'll surely be trying out a gray belt or two. They seem a little pricey ($31 on sale?) But it's gotta be good if you like 'em that much. We run several Tuffy brand carpet belts and like the way they run (except breaking them in).
                    Ed- thanx for the "siped" info. I kinda figured that if it was a good thing to do, somebody would be selling them "pre-siped."
                    Chad Q.

Comment

VANTAGE. . .Let me tell you something about both the Sure Pik aand the ball lift belts. There's this wonderful steel wire running the length of the belt along either side of the V-guide. This reinforcing wire CUTS right through the belt, leaving it in three pieces, in as little as 5 MONTHS! I don't know about you, but I would sure like to see a little better life expectancy out of a belt.

Another good looking prospect is the original AMF type orange belt sold exclusively by Ace Mitchell (one of AMF's OEM distributors) in OHIO. Works good on the Sure Pik. Don't know about the big one.

Good Luck!

Comment

Lifelong Bowling (makers of the Humpy) has a new track cover that works even better than the gum rubber. They call it the “Rocket Rail”. It’s a little pricey but there isn’t anything else like it on the market. It has a 1” wide (maybe more) flat spot on the side that contacts the ball. The back of the cover is split so that you can slip it over the steel rail &amp; is held in place with extra heavy duty zip ties that go thru special slots that have been molded into the cover. The 1st section is only about 3” long so that the part of the cover that gets the most wear can easily be replaced with a minimal cost. The 2nd &amp; 3rd sections have a material molded into them that absorbs &amp; emulsifies the oil that is deposited each time a ball goes up them. If you just want to use them on the lower half of the tracks (where all the problems are), they have been made to do that too. Just use the 1st &amp; 2nd sections &amp; keep your old covers on the rest of the track.
                        In my opinion, the folks at Lifelong have an undisputed winner with this one.
                        Dutch
                        PS. Casandra DOES sound VERY hot.

Comment

Dutch: Most wholeheartedly agree! And worth every penny. One more point: the flat spot enables the cover to "center itself" as each ball goes up.

Comment

Dutch - Thanx for the Lifelong product info!

Update on the "siped" sure-pik belt:
                            Put it on day before yesterday. Took what was left off today. The slices allowed the rubber to separate from the laminations. It was pretty gory. We never had any ball calls though.

Chad Q.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                            our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                            Working...
                            X