Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pins hanging between cutain and machine plate

Does anybody have a solution to prevend having pins hanging between the curtain and the machine plate(or am I the only one having this?)? Allready thougt of a GS- machine curtain look-alike curtain but I don't think this is permitted in an AMF-machine because of the smaller distance, I like the idea though to seperate the curtain and the cushion.
    I have a computer system that is having problems with this occasionaly(seeing a 7- or 10 pin caused by a hanging pin, giving false scores ore/and empty pindeck after a strike).

Thanks

Martin

[ February 13, 2001: Message edited by: lampie ]

[ February 13, 2001: Message edited by: lampie ]
    So it goes.

Re: Pins hanging between cutain and machine plate

Lampie: this has plagued me ever since installation of scoring in '94. "Pin-in-the-curtain" is the call as we record it on our call sheet. Happens on some machines more than others, but has happened at least once on nearly every machine. Fortunately, a pin in the curtain on the ball exit side does not affect scoring.
    Am currently working on a few ideas, nothing installed yet. One idea is to save old cushion pads (buna or urethane) and cut them into rectangles except for one side, which should be shaped like the curtain "sag" area, then bolt this behind the curtain to the side of the kickback. Pin should bounce off.
    I have heard of some trying adding heavy material to the curtain, extending it to the plate. I haven't heard the results, yet.
    I have a few machines with the 8800 style cushion... the one whose plank goes straight across. The curtain from AMF for this assembly is the stiff type, although it sags a bit because they designed it wrong, adding material to the common side instead of shortening the ball door side. I have not had any pins in the curtain calls with these. Must be the stiff curtain.
    Good luck! Waiting also for other answers.
    P.S. Don't bother adding the curtain protection pad on the common side, even sticking forward. It don't work.

Comment

I have the same problem and I am awfully tired of it also.

My idea is to take a curtain pad and bolt it to the side plate with self tapping sheet metal screws right where the sag is. Then the "pinboy chasers" will bounce off and not stick there.

king

Comment

I'm glad I don't have to work in your evening shift ! Come up with some good answers, I think you can!

Martin
        So it goes.

Comment

I was tought to make a crescent shaped CUT in the sides of the curtains. Seems to work OK. I really don't monitor that problem since I have Arrays but I rarely see a pin stuck there.

Jonas

Comment

Jonas,

Please describe you cut and position of it in detail.

king

Comment

we also cut our curtains....we cut a 2" slit(from the edge of curtain)and down 8"(up from the cushion) now the carpet just pulls the pin into the pit. Looks like a 2" tire flap.This has taken care of the problem.

Hope this helps,
              Peanut
              Peanut

Comment

We have had the same problem for years. We conducted a 3 month test where we took an old curtain and cut it so it would hang within an inch of the carpet. The curtain acted just like a GS machine but created another problem, pins bouncing out of the pit on the ball exit side. The pins bouncing out was rare, but enough that we noticed.

I did have our local ABC come out an inspect the machine and it was within 1/2 of tolerance, at least according to their information.

Although we never pursued it further, it seems that if you were to stitch a loop in the bottom, and then run a small pipe or weight through there, you might solve the problem.

For the other fix, wouldn't slicing the curtain cause it to rip further?

Would love to see this problem solved!
                I really enjoy the Simpsons. My problem is that I am starting to look like Homer. Doh!!!

Comment

I allready thought about cutting the curtains, the reason I didn't do this yet was because in my opinion more pins will be launched out of the machine..is this wrong thinking..? Still curious !

Thanks sofar

Martin

P.S. Some post came between..I mean cutting the sides, not the entire curtain(did cut the entire curtain a long time ago with our old 30 machine but the abc rules did make me put it back in the original way.

[ February 14, 2001: Message edited by: lampie ]
                  So it goes.

Comment

Pins flying through between the curtain and the plate most often hit the cushion block box, which is what causes the front of the box to get bent. This striking stresses the box causing it to crack or its bolts to snap.
                    May be better to block the pins than to let them fly through.
                    NOTE how the curtain tapers away from the plate a few inches from the top. This, I believe is a carry-over from the 30's, for sweep connecting rod clearance. Have noticed, when seen from the front, that most pins getting stuck fly up high into this gap, then slide down. Curtains should probably have been redesigned for the 70's. Just my opinion.

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by 82/70 king:
                      Jonas,

Please describe you cut and position of it in detail.

king
                      [/QUOTE]

Remove some of the material from the sides of the curtain in the shape of a elongated Yellow Dot weight block(pancake I think). So it looks close to this )__( . I would guess at the deepest point its 3 inches inward, and 15 inches in length. I just take the razor knife and slice slice the dished shape out.

You mess with this at your own risk. Like I said I really don't watch it closely.

Jonas

Comment

I did this before leagues tonight and I still had 2 pin in curtain calls. I believe we usually have a few more for our Wed. mens league. They throw it pretty hard.

king

Comment

What about separating the curtain and the cushion, did't hear anything about that yet. Besides having to renew the curtain when the cushion is still ok, maybe seperating in an other way than I tried before is an answer. Any suggestions...?

Martin
                          So it goes.

Comment

What about separating the curtain and the cushion, did't hear anything about that yet. Besides having to renew the curtain when the cushion is still ok, maybe seperating in an other way than I tried before is an answer. Any suggestions...?

Martin
                            So it goes.

Comment

Martin
                              So it goes.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X