Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combo motor capicitors

need some help here guys......when u take a resistance reading on a capicitors.....what readings mean what? what is open, weak and good?

Re: combo motor capicitors

There may be better ways, but this is the way I do it...
    I use a digital multimeter and put it on 0-20KOhms, put the wires parallel over the capicitor(without any machine wiring connected) If the meter is at 20 k within about 10 to 15 seconds, I reverse the wires and check it again, if the result is the same, I have a good trust in the capicitor.
    If it's very slow(or endless or short), just push it in the chemical box!

Martin

Ps I use a 9 volt battery in my multimeter, if you have one that is using less the time to reach 20k can be a little longer.

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Lampie ]
    So it goes.

Comment

I really don't care what the rsistance is if i have to check it, i change it and if that doesn't fix the problem, that part goes back to the good parts.............how easy can that be? :p
      If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

I have found out the hard way. Don't assume that a new capacitor is good. I have spent hours troubleshooting a problem only to find out that the "new" capacitor was bad". The best test is to use a known good one from another machine for the test. If it solves the problem, then use new. If it is bad it will show up immediately.

Terry

Comment

felix; boy that sounds technical; I guess if money is no object and the reassurance of sound electrical components does not mean anything then that is an excellant procedure.

Mike
          Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

WangJ,
            Find a local electronics parts store, not Radio shack, in the phone book and pay them a visit. Take along a motor capacitor and your test meter and ask them how you test these things. They will be delighted to help you out.
            <a href="http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm" target="_blank">http://www.101science.com/101captesting.htm</a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a>

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Jimmy Jam ]

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by Lampie:
              There may be better ways, but this is the way I do it...
              I use a digital multimeter and put it on 0-20KOhms, put the wires parallel over the capicitor(without any machine wiring connected) If the meter is at 20 k within about 10 to 15 seconds, I reverse the wires and check it again, if the result is the same, I have a good trust in the capicitor.
              If it's very slow(or endless or short), just push it in the chemical box!

Martin

Ps I use a 9 volt battery in my multimeter, if you have one that is using less the time to reach 20k can be a little longer.

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Lampie ]
              [/QUOTE]

Wow, nobothy is saying I'm wrong....
              Come on, I want some negative reactions on my reply!!
              Come with some serious answers.
              I can't sleep this way.

Balabalambadabamba

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Lampie ]
              So it goes.

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by Lampie:
                Wow, nobothy is saying I'm wrong....
                Come on, I want some negative reactions on my reply!!
                Come with some serious answers.
                I can't sleep this way.

Balabalambadabamba
                [/QUOTE]

Sorry, Lamparita.
                That's exactly the way I was taught at the Stahl's Seventys school.
                I'll be darned - you actually gave a good answer!
                [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Badabadabadabing!
                Chaddo

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by Vantage Guy:

Sorry, Lamparita.
                  That's exactly the way I was taught at the Stahl's Seventys school.
                  I'll be darned - you actually gave a good answer!
                  [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Badabadabadabing!
                  Chaddo
                  [/QUOTE]
                  And I didn't even get a day off to go to the Stahls school, did have to find it out myself..

Little Helper
                  So it goes.

Comment

felix; didn't mean to be discourtious. I guess if you do not understand electricity than what you are doing is what you need to do.
                    Good Luck
                    Mike
                    Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

The meter will tell you if the capacitor charges up, holds a charge, is shorted or open. But there is another device which will actually give you the microfarad rating, which will indicate a weak or failing capacitor. Look it up under test instruments in Grainger. I'm not at work now, but I think the brand name of this capacitor tester is SUPCO. When I bought mine, it was about $40.
                      Whenever I'm unsure, I replace both capacitors for that motor. They're not that expensive. Then I bench test them with this tester.

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by WangJ:
                        need some help here guys......when u take a resistance reading on a capicitors.....what readings mean what? what is open, weak and good?[/QUOTE]

In the back of your manual (what the heck is that???) there is a page on testing the caps and what the readings mean. If you don't have it, I can send you the info... I'm assuming you have 70's... if you have 30's, I can't help ya...sorry...
                        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

GMan,
                          You can help 30 mechanics too with your Knowledge..the 30 and 70 machines are using the same capicitors, the only difference is the position.
                          Please enlight us with your knowledge!

bamb
                          So it goes.

Comment

O hear ye all, as I read a passage from the Great Book Of AMF 82-70 Pinspotters, Chapter 7, Verse 18:

"Occasionally a capacitor will short out resulting in an inoperative motor. To test a capacitor, remove the connections from one terminal and take a resistance reading. Connect the meter and wait approximately one minute for the capacitor to charge up. A reading of 50,000 Ohms or more indicates a good capacitor, Zero Ohms (short), no reading (open)."

So sayeth AMF... As it was in the beginning, now and ever shall be, until thy pinspotters rust away. Amen.

And now the sermon:

For my part, that's a little too cut-and-dried for me... As long as it's close to 50,000 Ohms, you should be OK... I'd say a reading of even 40,000 and up is a good cap. In the same regard, anything from 0 to about 10,000 should be considered 'shorted' or failing. The 'gray area' from 10,000 to 40,000 is a weak cap that might just decide to buy the farm soon (usually in the middle of the biggest tourney of the year...with the bowler on his way to a 300 game). And of course, a no-reading indicates an open circuit... or a broken multimeter. Don't be afraid to outsource motor start caps, either... there's nothing special about them. If you have an electrical supply nearby, they will most likely have a direct replacement... just give them the motor and voltage ratings, or the info printed of the side of the start cap. I have a boxful of the silly things that has about a 1/4" of dust on it...I think I've seen a total of ONE cap die out in the 11 years I've been in the game... As long as you keep your motor starting switches in good repair, you shouldn't see too many of them fail. A good indication of a failing start switch on a National motor is a low, intermittent rumbling (or 'grunting') sound from the motor, usually on starting or when the motor is under load (like when the table is lifting all 10 pins off the deck on respot, or when the sweep has to push a bunch of pins off the deck) Excessive heating of the motor or 'running slow' is another indication that it might be running on the start windings.

The mass is ended... go in peace. AND GET BACK TA WORK YA BUMS! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: TheGMan143 ]
                            <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Amen [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                              CU yesterday

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X