Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear lube?

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone out there knows what type of gear lube I can use as an adequate replacement for the AMF gear lube, and where I might find it? I've asked 3 different people so far and I've gotten 3 different answers [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] . I'm looking at changing it in all of my machines (as it hasn't been done in quite some time) and was thinking there must be something out there cheaper than the $9.50 a pint AMF wants for it. I'm kinda lost here, and would greatly appreciate any and all help. Thanks much!

--kingpin

Re: Gear lube?

Hey Kingpin, the original gear lube was called Sohivis 156. The 156 standing for 156 wt viscosity. Sohio now may be Marathon Oil Co. Not sure. All I know. Good Luck

Mike

Comment

I think Vantage sells gear lube also. We have a 55 gallon drum of Sohivis 156. With 16 lanes I will never run out.

Jerry

Comment

I do believe AMF is now recommending "Mobil 600" for thir gearboxes.
        "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Wisconsin is very close to some lakes with some harbours...The ships over there are using all kind of oils..Maybe it's a good idea to do like I do go to the harbour(with the name and number of the oil you use) and I'm sure they have it. Possibly under another name. Dentax and Fiona have been taken over I think. I use Valvata 1000 for my combi's now(I'm at home right now and I can't remember the name of the thinner oil for the BE's).
          Good luck.
          Martin
          So it goes.

Comment

Chevron makes a comparable oil to Sohovis. It's 150w. At $33 for a five gallon bucket, the price is great and I really liked the oil. I was getting it in Alaska and have yet to find something in Arizona. I will post the product number on Monday; I have it at work.
            Mike
            Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Well I was wrong the oil is 140#; and Chevron still has it.
              Chevron Gear Oil RPM 140. The price has gone up to $42 in Alaska, any jobber should carry it or be able to get it.
              Mike
              Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
              Working...
              X