Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Lampie-style question

A rather heated discussion arose between several mechanics today, and naturally I came to BT for the difinitive answer.
    Plainly, it is this:
    On distributor stop blades, Should stop blade plate be tight against casting when it is bolted on so that there is no tilt adjustment to the stop blades, or should there be a gap between the casting and the stop blade plate when it is bolted on to allow for tilt adjustment to the stop blades?

Another way of putting it:
    the trip arm casting is machined flat for mounting the stop blade plate. What should the length of this flat machined area be?

I personally looked at two examples today - both were AMF original.
    One had no gap between the stop blade and the end of the flat machined area on the casting.
    The other had a gap - in other words, the flat machined area was larger.
    Stop blade plates were identical to eachother.

I will not disclose which side of the discussion I'm on for fear of tainting your response.

Please enjoy this one.
    Chadaroo!

Re: Another Lampie-style question

Doesn't matter. I adjust my stop blade height with channelocks. I just bend the whole trip arm assy. until it is square with the stop on th dist clutch.

Jerry

Comment

I do it that way also.

Comment

I think the less gap the better. It should act as a keyed part with no adjustment.

Comment

Same here... I usually adjust the blade alignment by bending the plate until it's lined up... On that subject, though, I will say that AMF's distributor trip rod assy is poorly designed. After they wear a bit, play starts to develop in the joint where the steel rod meets the aluminum casting, and it fouls up the alignment. We usually overcome this by drilling a second hole below and 90 degrees off of the existing roll pin, and driving a second pin through it. If that doesn't steady it, a little PC-7 or SuperPoxee around it does the trick. (Hey, they ain't big on ordering parts around here!! :-})
          <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

G Man,
            The new designed trip stop does not use roll pins. It now uses a bolt to to hold the stop blade and casting to the rod. The end of the rod is threaded and the casting just bolts right on. I haven't had one of these develop any play in over three years. I have already "rebuilt" the old style by punching out the pin, drilling a bigger hole, and using a bigger pin.
            Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
            Working...
            X