Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XOP Heads Up

Hi Gang,

Recently, I had a sweep that refused to stop at the first guard position (66 degrees?). It seems to coast just enough to interlock the machine.
    I tried all the usual remedies. Checked the C-1 plug, the twist plug to the motor, the receptacle in the motor, carbon brushes, and the capacitor. No Luck. I then changed the chassis and the problem was gone. So I'm thinking sweep contacts (I have the Semens contactor) so I change the contactor. No Luck. Then, just for the hell of it, I changed the XOP board in the chassis, lo and behold, problem gone.
    I called the designer at Creative Technologies. He said it was possible for one of the opti-couplers that reads the sweep cams could be reading slow. Apparently so. Being they have 6 or 7 of these things on the board, and I have no way of testing them, nor do I have a electronics store around that I could get them from, I opted to send the board back to Creative for the $60 repair special.
    Anyway, lesson learned. I've added the XOP to my list of items to check when a sweep or table is coasting.
    Leyton at Tahoe

Re: XOP Heads Up

Did you try the reset feature on the board. If you don't know what I mean I'll explain it. When the machine is interlocked, you hold the stepper button in until the machine resets itself to first ball zero. You can hear it click when it does this. Then you fix the interlock as you always would. Then just cycle the machine and it should work fine. I have had similar problems with the XOP board and this has cured it every time. A tech at AMF told me that the computer logic in the board sometimes gets screwed up, causing all kinds of wierd problems. The reset feature is designed to correct it.
    Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by 8270 pinspotter:
      hold the stepper button in until the machine resets itself to first ball zero. . . . Then you fix the interlock as you always would. [/QUOTE]

meaning when you have an interlock, you press the first ball stepper button and the chassis clears the interlock on its own?

Comment

ok...i had to think about it, first times always the worst.

so while interlocked, press first ball stepper until you hear the board stop clickin and all,
        then physically clear the interlock

did i get it?

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware of the reset feature. But it had no affect on preventing the sweep from coasting and causing the interlocks.
          I'm sure that Creative Technologies was correct about the opti-coupler. If I only knew which one it was...........
          Leyton at Tahoe

Comment

Coors,
            You were right in both of your posts. The interlock will clear itself depending on where the table is in relation to the sweep. Sometimes the sweep will drift a little on first guard and the table will not run. Then if you do the stepper button thing, the sweep returns to zero and the machine is on 1st ball. If the sweep is under the table then you have to crank the machine as you normally would.

Comment

If SC and TB are both open theres no way for a XOP/Omega/5-board to power the contactors. Sorry, no dice.

Comment

JJ
                You are correct that the chassis cannot power the contactors if the machine is in a true interlock. But, sometimes with the XOP Board the sweep will drift just a tiny bit back from first guard. This causes the table not to run at all, thus both of the interlock switches are not open.

Comment

Leyton,

I've never seen those boards. How many optocouplers are there? If there's not too many, it might be worth your time to try to change them one at a time till you've fixed the problem & then enter it in your book for next time.

Next time you're in Reno, go to Sandy's electronics & pick up a few. They're not expensive. Sandy's is on Matley Ln. about ½ mi. south of the Hilton.

Dutch

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: dutch ]

Comment

Well, I'd first pick around in the chassis and make sure all of my wires and terminals were well connected. Have had a loose terminal cause strange stuff on several occasions.

This may also explain the swapping peculiarities. If a loose wire was wiggled just enough to make good contact during the board swapping process, then it would appear that the old board was the problem.

Always searching for simplicity,
                    El Chaddo

Comment

Hey Dutch,

I'm home right now, but I recall at least 7 opti-couplers. Not impossible, and maybe worth the time, but what a PITA!
                      Yeah, Sandy's is a good joint. Done alot of "bowl" shopping there. Maybe next time I'm in town, I'll drop by and see if I can't match up the opti's.
                      I'm still trying to get a schematic for the XOP, but I haven't been to successful. Seems that Creative and AMF do not want to let them go. Maybe I can bribe.............
                      Leyton at Tahoe

Comment

I have no idea what a auto coupler is but they might be on the leading edge of the board and be easialy identifiable if you follow the trace back to the edge connector.

Example: The sweep Triac on the 3 board leeds directly to pc3-8,28 and 29. Are any of those used on the jumper card? If they are then follow them to the 5 board connector and see if they end up at one of the auto couplers on the XOP.
                        I don't have a schematic in front of me, but use the same princaple following the SB switch back to the 5-board slot.

After all, the XOP/OMEGA is just the 5-board transistors and such put on a chip. And the 5-boards were just stepper relays put on transistors.

Comment

Hi JJ

I'll probably pick-up an opti-coupler at my local (1 hr away) electronics store and do what Dutch suggested. The XOP circuits are a little hard to trace. They have a thick green coating/paint/something on the board making tracing difficult.
                          If anybody's interested, I'll post my findings when I'm done.
                          Leyton at Tahoe

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                          Working...
                          X