Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8290 pin respotting procedure

Well, the time has finally arrived. We're taking down our 30s and installing 90-XLs! I made a trip to Northern Mississippi to see the 90s in action at an Air Force Base and have a good idea of how the machines work. I've also read most of the service manual.

My question to the 8290 pinchasers and mechanics: When you have to respot pins (due to out of range pins or idiots resetting the pinspotter before they throw the second ball), what procedure do you use?

On our 8230s, we drop the sweep to guard position and knock the unwanted pins down with a spotting stick and start the machine back up. If a pin needs to be added, we put a pin on the stick and set it on spot. This is all done by putting the stick in between the curtain and the table. On the 90s, the curtain is attached to the bin and there doesn't seem to be enough space to get the stick in there, especially not with a pin on the stick.

Can anyone provide some insight?
    Jason

Re: 8290 pin respotting procedure

When i reset pins from a full set i cycle machine and turn off through breaker on the chassis. Knock down unwanted pins turn breaker back on and take out of manual.

Comment

Strike300,
      Which 30's(5850 or 6525) do you have? How many? What are you going to do with them? When are they coming out? Any solid state chassis? Also looking for some good used carpets. Thanks!!
      TOON30s
      Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Put machine on 1st ball

Turn table switch off

Cycle machine

Knock over pins not needed with fork.

Turn table switch on

Jerry

Comment

I talked to a guy who works on 90s about this. He told me they insert the pin at the rear side of the table, manuever around the curtain bracket, then spot between the curtain and table at the back.

Roger

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Ar Rar ]

Comment

This all sounds like the same procedure that we use now...I was just wondering if it was possible to get a pin in between the table and curtain.

Toon: We're going to be parting out the 8230s. In the next week or two we're going to put up a webpage with lists of parts and prices. They're 6535 Chassis...mostly original except for the ones modified to work with the magnetic clutches. I'd guess our head mechanic will be refurbishing a lot of motors and chassis' and selling them.
            Jason

Comment

It is Great that you are upgrading to the 90's... However there will be a lot to do as far as training goes, they are a totally different operating machine, you will need to train on respots, jams, shuttle jams, all that such... The way that you have been repsoting on the 30's sounds very good for the 90's, there are some shortcut ways to respot, however not reccomended due to safety reasons , I am sure that they will be learned by your techs. Don't get dissapionted if your distributors don't run the greatest right away, it will take a while to get them all adjusted and the pinwheels are not solid so you may have orientation problems, other than that, they are a great machine, I appreciated working on them for almost two years!

Comment

On a single pin respot.. I like to put the pin under the shuttle in the cup, i cycle machine while i am holding the shuttle from behind(watch those fingers), then step the machine to second ball. There is a safety isue though... but it is faster, but all chasers i train use the trusty ol pin hook method. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                Why yes, we wax them everyday!

Comment

Thanks Jason, and be sure to post the web address here as well as the classified and 82-30 section.
                  TOON
                  Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

On 82/90 there is no table or sweep switch to turn off. With a single chassis for both lanes you have to put each machine in manual mode to activate the buttons on the chassis and only one machine can be activated at one time. I can spot pins using the shuttle method if i am on top of machine but if I am behind I prefer to just put in manual, cycle, turn breaker off, knock down pins and turn breaker on. This can be accomplished in thirty seconds or less. If there is a pin on the deck that needs to be stood up I will put in manual,run sweep to guard, stand up pin and then reverse sweep. I do this because I have been on the recieving end of a ball hitting my pin fork because I failed to have the sweep down to protect me against bowlers with no brains. If you are going to get the ninties from amf be sure to go over the warranty thoroughly and to have whoever signs the contract to make sure what you are told is in the contract.

Comment

AMF_Jeff have u ever tried useing a piece of 2x4 about 6" and screw a bracket on the top of the 2x4 it hangs in between the shuttle and the top of the machine its safer then useing your hands

just my 2 cents [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by BigDawg:
                        AMF_Jeff have u ever tried useing a piece of 2x4 about 6" and screw a bracket on the top of the 2x4 it hangs in between the shuttle and the top of the machine its safer then useing your hands

just my 2 cents [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                        [/QUOTE]

boy I must be lazy I just put the sweep down and use the pin fork it reminds me of a brunswick having to climb up on top to respot pins and get out of ranges
                        [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]
                        can somebody tell me why you get on the top of the machine on a 82-70 to do a respot when I can do one standing on the floor in 6 or 7 seconds and if you do it from the top it takes 3 times longer and on a 90 it's a pain to reach around to the front panel to see what your doing.
                        if things aren't going right just use a bigger hammer! DIRT

Comment

Crud,
                          Some people think it looks neat to have the machine spot only the pins you need. To me it's more dangerous and takes more time than the old fashion method of using the pinfork and dropping the sweep. I would rather keep all of my fingers than have one get snapped off in a shuttle [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
                          Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

i was just telling jeff about the block i dont use them they take to long but i do spot pins with the machine and hold back the shuttle and yes the shuttle has bite twice since i been there but thats cuase i wasnt holding it back i hand my hand on it but not to hold it back (Brain Fart)
                            LOL but it takes me about a few seconds to spot pins only pins i spot with machine are the front pins 1 2 3 or a combo if its the back 7 pins i can reach in the machine and spot it that way been doing that for years i know its not safe but never had a problem doing it that way [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by strike300:
                              My question to the 8290 pinchasers and mechanics: When you have to respot pins (due to out of range pins or idiots resetting the pinspotter before they throw the second ball), what procedure do you use?[/QUOTE]

Call me stupid if you like but :-

When I worked on 82-70's , I'd rack a Full set , Lockout the M/C , Knock the Unwanted pins out with a Pinfork , Cycle M/C , Turn Off the trouble lamp & Job done .

On 90's & 90XL's , no reason as to why you cannot do the same .

BUT at my venue , due to the fact that the M/C's are so close to each other & hard to get a pinfork in to get the unwanted pins easily , I do as follows :-

Manual Mode
                              Ball Step to 1st Ball
                              Cycle
                              Shut off M/C when Guard is at first stop & Table about to run
                              Lockout M/C
                              Drop Curtain
                              Grab needed pins from Bin ( always taking the 9 Pin )
                              Spot req Pins
                              Manually operate Respot Cell arms & observe that all are moving as per normal
                              Curtain Back
                              Power back
                              After the cycle take M/C out of manual mode

As most re-spots are usually only 1 -> 4 pins this is the method I use the most , On a large set respot I would use the Pinfork as per my 70's style

That may sound like a STUPID & SLOW way to do it , But I personally find it quicker & very often pick up on a Broken respot Cell or Carbi link Off / Missing by being in the pit

( And not having to try & find the mislayed pin fork !! ) [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Also it's required that you to stay at the M/C till the shot is thrown to reload the bin , But Not a real problem .

We've all got different methods , My message is use the way that you feel most comfortable with !
                              As long as "THAT" method is SAFE & does not place you into a situation that could cause you injury! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: Mark Anderson ]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X