Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humpies vs. PBL's

Hey guys... Investigating the Pro's and Cons, row vs. way if you say of the humpie vs. pbl. How many have them and like them? Also how many of you have humpies with light ball sensors? Anyone install the new Clutch by bowling products? Hows that working out?

Deadwood
    Well thats just like your opinion man...

Re: Humpies vs. PBL's

Humpies are better than PBL if installed correctly. No ratchet drive. No adjustment after installed. The light ball sensor would be nice but not needed with slowdown pulley and spring shock.

Most important steps in installing humpy

1. DO NOT USE THE NYLON LOCK NUTS. USE GRADE 8 STOVER LOCKS.

2. Use atleast 2 flatwashers under the lift arm at the top to keep balls from waring out lift rod cover at the bottom.

3. Install the lift arm as bent from the factory. If you make it conform to the door rings the belt has to work harder to lift the balls. Just make sure it is the same level at the bottom.

4. Use flat washers when installing rear support bracket....the plactic spacers crush allowing contact between the ball and lower bracket causing ball damage. Use enough flatwashers per mounting bolt to just allow the lock nut get past the end of the bolt.

5. Use 2 washers behind the lift rail support bracket. This gives you room for the thick lift rail cover to get past the kickback easier. Also use med. grade loctite on the bolts.

6. Use med. grade loctite on the lift rails at the bottom as well as NEW lock washers.

Mr. 800

Comment

Pro's: AMF authorized its centers to buy them if they want too.

Con's: Its a con. I've had my share of yo-yo's but I have never seen the ball 'NOT' spinning at the bottom of the lift when they happen. The ball is slipping on something but its not the belt. And if peaple say "the thickness of the belt adds more pressure on the ball" then why try going to a stronger shock absorber, or put some cinder blocks on the lift. :p

Truth be known: I wish I had one to mess around with. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

when the humpies first came out i was skeptical of a third world companies idea. but i concede that its a great product and well worth the money. most of my remaining kickers will become humpies this summer <<--fingers crossed waiting for santa. i dont have any of the lifelong light ball sensors

Comment

Humpies have some of the same problems as PBL's but not as bad &amp; they can be adjusted out easier with humpies.

I currently have kickers. When I get humpies, I'll be putting in LBS's. Hilton has installed several LBC's but none have survived (that I know of). They've had a shaft breakage problem. Lifelong is working on it but I haven't heard anything for a few months. They may have it figured out by now.

Dutch

Comment

I had just downloaded the humpie installation manual for kickers. Alot to take out but not alot to put in. I am slowly getting sold on the humpies myself, but the LBS is a must! The light ball clutch just looks like a pully and a stick wraped in tin foil. Also they do not explain how it works on the website very well. I am excited to be working with them.

Deadwood

Comment

Have to agree with alot of Mr.800 remarks...I also will add that we use the rail bullets at the bottom two inchs of rail and then 15"of the heavy duty rail cover from Stahl's,the rest or the rail with gum rubber. We have had no spinning of yo-yo's on this set up. We have 6 more lifts to convert for our 42 lanes. I orederd the last ones Friday to finish the job.

We don't use hardly any of the hardware that comes with the kit. Like 800 and 8270/King have already stated go with grade 8 and good quailty stovers.

We have not tried the light ball clutch...haven't seen the need as of yet. We did go with the BULLDOG reduction pulley from Ed Fox to slow the paddle as well as slowed the pit drive down with a 2" pulley. This gives plenty of time for ball to enter and set.

Be careful the humpback belts come in different thickness you have to shim the lower suport acordingly. we use 2 washers on thick belt and 3 washers for the thinner belts.

Hope this Helps,
              Peanut
              Peanut

Comment

We converted out kickers 3 years ago. We now have 24 lanes of PBL and once the original adjustments were made, I can honestly say we have had to make less than 10 adjustments total in 3 years. Our decision to go with PBL (AMF's not the mini version Vantage puts out, sorry Chaddy :p ) could not have worked out better for us.

As for the rail covers, I think that no matter which system you go with, you MUST use Stahl's thick rail covers. You probably only need to cover the first 15 - 20 ", but most of ours have the whole rails. These bad boys are awesome, haven't had to do a thing to them in 3 years!

BB

Comment

Masternut: Im curious about your coments on the belt itself. Can u elaborate on the thickness? Is it a design flaw, or a packaging flaw?

Deadwood

Comment

GREAT BALL LIFT! USE A 2 PIECE BRUNSWICK
                    TURRET SPRING AS A REPLACEMENT FOR THE
                    CHEAP A** CHAIN THEY SEND WITH THE KIT,
                    THIS GIVES MORE ADJUSTMENT OF THE DOWNWARD
                    BELT PRESSURE IN MY OPINION. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I just converted to PBL's last summer. Once the initial adjustments were made I haven't touched them since. I also use the standard AMF rail covers without any problems. If you shim the rails out far enough you shouldn't have to use thicker covers. I have never seen a humpy so I can't really comment on those, but I think either one would be better than kickers.
                      Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

Air exits by Stahls. No need for LBS's adjust everthing with air. There new air switch upgrade is excellent. I have virtually eliminated all ball calls in back. Occasionally a pin will get in the door but that is it.
                        David Cliffe
                        Asst. Mgr.
                        Mechanic
                        Youth Advisor
                        Pro Shop Mgr.

Comment

David,

I have seen these in action. They work well. I just do not think it is prudent to have air lines running around moving parts. Chafing and or cutting will leave you in a bind.

Just my opinion!

Mr. 800

Comment

Since the air switch upgrade which repositions the switch towards the rear I have not had one air line crack or break.
                            David Cliffe
                            Asst. Mgr.
                            Mechanic
                            Youth Advisor
                            Pro Shop Mgr.

Comment

do air exits lift the ball up the ball lift, or is it a hoizontal exit deal???

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X